Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Omniman
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Windows 10 Build 1903

Wed May 22, 2019 6:59 am

Looks like 1903 was officially released yesterday. I updated my machine and haven't had any issues so far. It seems like it updated faster then previous build updates but maybe it's a placebo effect.
Intel i7-7700, MSI Trident, 32GB DDR4 2133mhz, Geforce 1060GTX, and Samsung Evo 1TB.

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Windows 10 Build 1903

Wed May 22, 2019 8:13 am

I only made a brief attempt, but couldn't get my main rig to list it. Unplugged all removable drives and all prior updates installed. I'm probably better giving it a week or two anyhow, in case there's any showstopper bugs.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Wed May 22, 2019 8:14 am

The Egg wrote:
I only made a brief attempt, but couldn't get my main rig to list it. Unplugged all removable drives and all prior updates installed. I'm probably better giving it a week or two anyhow, in case there's any showstopper bugs.

I had to use the media creation tool to upgrade from 1803 to 1809 on mine. I expect the same will be true for 1903.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed May 22, 2019 8:31 am

The Egg wrote:

You're not very likely to get it right away from the "check for updates" button. I wouldn't worry.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Elite

Wed May 22, 2019 8:31 am

I like the (minor) visual tweaks, and the brightness slider on the notification panel is a good idea. It feels like DPI scaling behaviour got worse somehow, though

captaintrav
Gerbil First Class

Wed May 22, 2019 8:33 am

My sample size is pretty small outside of work where we manage the updates ourselves, but I have yet to see *any* machine in the wild that got 1809 offered through Windows Update. I wonder how MS is going to approach rolling out 1903.

demolition
Gerbil First Class

Wed May 22, 2019 8:38 am

bthylafh wrote:
I had to use the media creation tool to upgrade from 1803 to 1809 on mine. I expect the same will be true for 1903.

Yeah, I have the same issue with my desktop PC. It is still running 1803 and the two feature updates up to that version I only got because I forced the upgrade using the image created by the Media Creation Tool. They never showed up as automatic updates. But it is probably for the best because I do remember getting one the first feature updates installed automatically only to see that it failed the installation and then rolled back to the previous version. A few days later, it tried again and still failed. This went on and on every couple of days so obviously it became quite annoying. I later found that the problem was caused by AU trying to install the wrong version of the update. My Windows is originally a Danish version but I had changed the UI language to English and for some reason that caused AU to also download the english feature update as well. When the update process started, it found a version mismatch and rolled it back.

I am not sure why I haven't seen any feature updates in a long time, but perhaps I have some unconventional piece of hardware or software installed that blocks those updates.

captaintrav wrote:
My sample size is pretty small outside of work where we manage the updates ourselves, but I have yet to see *any* machine in the wild that got 1809 offered through Windows Update. I wonder how MS is going to approach rolling out 1903.

I have received 1809 through WU on two of my personal laptops and my parents also got it on their desktop PC. I also got it on my work laptop, however since that is an Enterprise version that might be controlled in some other way. So my personal statistic says that most computers get it, but my main desktop PC is apparently odd in some way. An even more curious fact is that I upgraded my desktop PC about a year ago with a new motherboard and CPU but the problem persists. :-)
Last edited by demolition on Wed May 22, 2019 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

The Egg

Wed May 22, 2019 8:39 am

bthylafh wrote:
The Egg wrote:

Surprisingly, they already have the updated tool available. Usually it takes a little bit for that as well. I was waiting for the new build before my upcoming science experiment to install a decent budget M.2 drive via a PCIe x4 adapter on my dad's old AM3+ 970/SB950. I expect that it will function fine, but 50/50 coin flip on whether it'll give me crap about using PCIe as a boot device. He's only on PCIe 2.0, but I don't expect that to be any meaningful limiting factor.

captaintrav
Gerbil First Class

Wed May 22, 2019 8:47 am

demolition wrote:
captaintrav wrote:

I have received 1809 through WU on two of my personal laptops and my parents also got it on their desktop PC. I also got it on my work laptop, however since that is an Enterprise version that might be controlled in some other way. So my personal statistic says that most computers get it, but my main desktop PC is apparently odd in some way. An even more curious fact is that I upgraded my desktop PC about a year ago with a new motherboard and CPU but the problem persists. :-)

Interesting. Maybe its geographic or something else. I've installed 1709 from media about 15 times, installed no extra software, and every time got upgraded to 1803, a few more updates and then nothing. My Surface is on 1803 and all it has is Firefox and Office installed. Was asked to repair a machine where some update hosed the machine, 1803 again.

captaintrav
Gerbil First Class

Wed May 22, 2019 8:48 am

TwistedKestrel wrote:
I like the (minor) visual tweaks, and the brightness slider on the notification panel is a good idea. It feels like DPI scaling behaviour got worse somehow, though

That sucks, I've been welcoming the enhancements for this as they come. Maybe they'll have it sorted out by fall (we're only doing the fall updates at work since Microsoft supports those for 30 months now)

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed May 22, 2019 9:46 am

captaintrav wrote:
demolition wrote:
captaintrav wrote:

Interesting. Maybe its geographic or something else. I've installed 1709 from media about 15 times, installed no extra software, and every time got upgraded to 1803, a few more updates and then nothing. My Surface is on 1803 and all it has is Firefox and Office installed. Was asked to repair a machine where some update hosed the machine, 1803 again.

My anecdote is similar. I, and my family machines, got 1809 through WU pretty quickly. 1903 didn't trigger for my personal machine via WU. I had to use the upgrade assistant, but it went swimmingly.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Bobs_Your_Uncle
Gerbil

Wed May 22, 2019 11:09 am

DancinJack wrote:
The Egg wrote:

You're not very likely to get it right away from the "check for updates" button. I wouldn't worry.

Peter Bright over at Ars posted a relatively brief "What to expect" overview of 1903: Windows 10 May 2019 Update now rolling out to everyone… slowly: Unless you explicitly want it installed, you probably won't get this update.

The long & the short of it is that MS is treading pretty cautiously on this go-round, given the angst generated over 1803 & 1809. Probably not a bad move on their part ...

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Wed May 22, 2019 11:38 am

My biggest gripe with DPI scaling on Windows is that Microsoft usually guesses the scaling value wrong, and then sets that wrong value as the default for every single user that ever logs on.

The display reports its physical size and resolution, and that would be enough to ensure that printed 10pt font always appears at the roughly the correct size.
But no, Microsoft attempts to guess how far you are from the display and take that into account too, and it's always wrong.

13" 3200x1800 display? Logically that would look about right at 200% scaling but microsoft often seems to choose 250% or higher to provide such a low information density that we've regressed to the bad old days of screen real-estate shortages when to use a 720p desktop resolution :(

How about a 65" HDTV? Microsoft arbitrarily picks 300% for me at home. Based on what? An effective 720p resolution again?

Years ago, Windows used to complain that the interface wouldn't fit on screen properly at vertical resolutions below 768 pixels, and yet their scaling values always seem to assume that everyone has poor vision and needs gigantic fonts, making 3K, 4K, 5K and 8K displays emulate the information density of an inadequate 1280x720 resolution from two decades ago.

It's bad enough that it always guesses wrong but it's even worse that you can't set the default (logpixels registry value does NOT persist reliably through updates, sadly)
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed May 22, 2019 11:43 am

Personally I wish there was a global "disable scaling" button. I hate it when I go into a conference room and it detects a new device and tries to set a recommended ratio. I want that checkbox to default all new devices to 100% and then let me change it from there if desired.

captaintrav
Gerbil First Class

Thu May 23, 2019 12:08 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
My biggest gripe with DPI scaling on Windows is that Microsoft usually guesses the scaling value wrong, and then sets that wrong value as the default for every single user that ever logs on.

The display reports its physical size and resolution, and that would be enough to ensure that printed 10pt font always appears at the roughly the correct size.
But no, Microsoft attempts to guess how far you are from the display and take that into account too, and it's always wrong.

13" 3200x1800 display? Logically that would look about right at 200% scaling but microsoft often seems to choose 250% or higher to provide such a low information density that we've regressed to the bad old days of screen real-estate shortages when to use a 720p desktop resolution :(

How about a 65" HDTV? Microsoft arbitrarily picks 300% for me at home. Based on what? An effective 720p resolution again?

Years ago, Windows used to complain that the interface wouldn't fit on screen properly at vertical resolutions below 768 pixels, and yet their scaling values always seem to assume that everyone has poor vision and needs gigantic fonts, making 3K, 4K, 5K and 8K displays emulate the information density of an inadequate 1280x720 resolution from two decades ago.

It's bad enough that it always guesses wrong but it's even worse that you can't set the default (logpixels registry value does NOT persist reliably through updates, sadly)

Oh I can rant on this big time. On a 14" 1080p laptop screen Windows now defaults to 150%. It drives me nuts. When we rolled out about 1000 laptops with Windows 10 a lot of users decided they like the huge fonts, but then complain because some legacy software doesn't work properly. Then we have to figure out how to get the compatibility settings for the legacy apps to behave nicely, but *then* they're bitching that some of the fonts are blurry. Kill me.

arunphilip
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu May 23, 2019 12:46 pm

The Egg wrote:

Check the known issues in 1903 to see if any of those are applicable to your situation. e.g. BattlEye anti-cheat.

The Egg

Thu May 23, 2019 2:16 pm

arunphilip wrote:
The Egg wrote:

Check the known issues in 1903 to see if any of those are applicable to your situation. e.g. BattlEye anti-cheat.

Oh yeah.....forgot about the BattlEye thing. Anyone know where to find a real, actual full listing of games which use it? Their website looks to have an abbreviated version, and I can't seem to find it elsewhere.

thecoldanddarkone

Thu May 23, 2019 4:45 pm

Installed it on a couple vm's. Thus far no issues with programs I'm using. Full testing next week.
I7 4930k, 32 GB Ballistix DDRL3@2133 , 1.2 TB Intel 750 AIC, 500 GB mx200, Sapphire R9 Fury, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w, edifier s730
HP Pro x2 612- i5-4302Y, 8 gigs of memory, 256 ssd

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Thu May 23, 2019 8:09 pm

I read scaling is supposed to be on be default. Anyone with a greater than 1080p monitor notice an improvement?

edit - just read thru the posts, so it's still a p.o.s.

sad
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

LostCat

Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:16 pm

https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-r ... rsion-1903
One of the most notable issues was that users that had a USB drive or memory card attached weren't able to upgrade to Windows 10 version 1903. This issue is fixed with this week's Patch Tuesday update. The cumulative update will be bundled into the upgrade package that you'll get from Windows Update.

I still don't know what would actually trigger that bug. I have tons of external drives hooked up.
Meow.

arunphilip
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:40 pm

LostCat wrote:
https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-resolves-issues-that-prevented-upgrading-to-windows-10-version-1903
One of the most notable issues was that users that had a USB drive or memory card attached weren't able to upgrade to Windows 10 version 1903. This issue is fixed with this week's Patch Tuesday update. The cumulative update will be bundled into the upgrade package that you'll get from Windows Update.

I still don't know what would actually trigger that bug. I have tons of external drives hooked up.

Last week, on the 3rd of July, I received 1903. Until then, it had been blocked on all my PCs, presumably because I too have a bunch of USB HDDs and SSDs connected. It installed smoothly, quickly, and without any problems whatsoever. I've now installed 1903 (via Windows Update) on my 3 PCs - a 2014-era Intel desktop, a 2011-era AMD desktop, and an Intel ComputeStick (with 32GB onboard storage).

So, whatever the cause was that prevented them rolling out 1903 due to this USB bug, it has been fixed properly, and I don't regret the wait.