Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

I'm looking for a mass-rename tool for files

Fri May 24, 2019 1:41 pm

I'm working on a little project here with photos, videos, music files, and medical/health documents, receipts, and the like, and could really use a tool that can help me quickly rename related files (or folders) with a common name plus a variable mask of some sort that would result in an incrementing number or alpha value from file to file.

For example,
Folder: collection01
collection01file01.jpg
collection01file02.jpg
Folder: collection02
collection02file01.jpg

I really need something that can do both files AND folders by way of a file-explorer UI where I can select the files I want to rename using windows keys shift and ctrl in the usual way.

Bonus points if there's a tool that is case-sensitive and can make the files inside of a folder inherit the naming convention of the folder in whole or in part...maybe using the folder name as the starting point for the first file in the folder?

For this project, UI would be better than a tool that requires scripting and free would be better than paid, but I can relax those requirements for something that works well and is easy to use. Got any recommendations?

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Re: I'm looking for a mass-rename tool for files

Fri May 24, 2019 1:44 pm

Haven't used it, but anyone who got "Bulk Rename Utility" secured as both a program name and URL was already thinking about this problem a long time ago.

https://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

The Egg

Fri May 24, 2019 1:47 pm

I've actually used Mp3tag for such purposes in the past. Takes a bit of configuring, but yeah.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri May 24, 2019 1:52 pm

BIF wrote:
I'm working on a little project here with photos, videos, music files, and medical/health documents, receipts, and the like, and could really use a tool that can help me quickly rename related files (or folders) with a common name plus a variable mask of some sort that would result in an incrementing number or alpha value from file to file.

For movies and TV, Filebot works pretty dang well: https://www.filebot.net/
BRU that Ludi linked has worked well for me in the past - https://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Download.php
For anything music wise, I use Foobar2000 and a couple ID3 tag modication components. Not only is Foobar a great music player, but the components make it really easy to find proper tags for almost any music (generally). The tagging components I find most useful are as follows:
https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_discogs
https://www.foobar2000.org/components/v ... usicbrainz

Otherwise, there are tons of ways you could use Powershell/cmd, .bat scripts written yourself, and Regex. Depending on how fine grained and variable it needs to be, you may find those options as the most useful.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Fri May 24, 2019 1:57 pm

I spent some time comparing a few such apps. Didn't find a One To Rule Them All, each was missing this or that.
But I mostly settled on Ant Renamer.

BIF
Topic Author

Fri May 24, 2019 2:00 pm

Wowza, you guys responded really fast. It feels like I just walked into a Detroit area Coney Island hot dog...where you tell the server what you want and she just goes and gets it, with no waiting!

Thank you, I'll start looking at these. But I'm getting hungry for a Coney right about now... :P

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri May 24, 2019 2:02 pm

I found a great one specifically for photo's. I'll look it up with I get home.

BIF
Topic Author

Fri May 24, 2019 2:05 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Oh that would be awesome; thanks!

toki
Gerbil XP

Fri May 24, 2019 2:13 pm

ludi wrote:
Haven't used it, but anyone who got "Bulk Rename Utility" secured as both a program name and URL was already thinking about this problem a long time ago.

https://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php
this.....this utility works wonders

BIF
Topic Author

Fri May 24, 2019 2:23 pm

I'm looking at BRU first. Just about to try my first rename for some TV show files...

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri May 24, 2019 2:45 pm

BIF wrote:
I'm looking at BRU first. Just about to try my first rename for some TV show files...

Seriously dude, unless you have an insane convention for TV shows, use Filebot for anything TV or Movies. It works REALLY well for those two.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri May 24, 2019 3:04 pm

BIF wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

Digital Image Mover:
https://digitalimagemover.tumblr.com/

I organize mine by filetype and date taken, so it uses EXIF data where available. I have a few different parameters that I put in for the various file types. I can provide the other parameters I use if you want. Send me a PM.:
Photos:
Path pattern:
photo\%K\%Y\%Y-%M
File types:
jpg,jpeg,tif,cr2,crw,cr3,tif,tiff,gif,bmp,png,nef,heic

Videos:
Path pattern:
video\%K\%Y\%Y-%M
File types:
mpg,avi,mov,mp4,wmv,mkv,flv,vob,ogv,yuv,mpeg,3gp,hevc

Scrap:
Path pattern:
scrap\%K\%Y\%Y-%M
File types:
info,thm,filepart,db,ini,xml,aae,lnk,ctg

SirReptitious
Gerbil In Training

Fri May 24, 2019 3:49 pm

BIF wrote:

For example,
Folder: collection01
collection01file01.jpg
collection01file02.jpg
Folder: collection02
collection02file01.jpg

I really need something that can do both files AND folders by way of a file-explorer UI where I can select the files I want to rename using windows keys shift and ctrl in the usual way.

Bonus points if there's a tool that is case-sensitive and can make the files inside of a folder inherit the naming convention of the folder in whole or in part...maybe using the folder name as the starting point for the first file in the folder?

For this project, UI would be better than a tool that requires scripting and free would be better than paid, but I can relax those requirements for something that works well and is easy to use. Got any recommendations?

I see that you already received several suggestions, but I'm going to offer one more because it's very different. The file manager program called TotalCommander has been around for 23 years and is constantly updated with new features, one of which is a multi-file rename tool. I'm not 100% sure it renames directories because I have never used it for that but I assume it does. Even if for some reason you find one of the other suggested programs works better for you, check this out as a replacement for the pathetic windows file explorer. You can use the program forever without buying it; you just have to click on one nag box when you start the program. http://www.ghisler.com/

BIF
Topic Author

Fri May 24, 2019 3:56 pm

DancinJack wrote:
BIF wrote:

Seriously dude, unless you have an insane convention for TV shows, use Filebot for anything TV or Movies. It works REALLY well for those two.

BRU is massively capable, with lots of options. But yes, it is cumbersome. I will try Filebot shortly. Thanks for the tip.

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
BIF wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

Digital Image Mover:
https://digitalimagemover.tumblr.com/

I organize mine by filetype and date taken, so it uses EXIF data where available. I have a few different parameters that I put in for the various file types. I can provide the other parameters I use if you want. Send me a PM.:
Photos:
Path pattern:
photo\%K\%Y\%Y-%M
File types:
jpg,jpeg,tif,cr2,crw,cr3,tif,tiff,gif,bmp,png,nef,heic

Videos:
Path pattern:
video\%K\%Y\%Y-%M
File types:
mpg,avi,mov,mp4,wmv,mkv,flv,vob,ogv,yuv,mpeg,3gp,hevc

Scrap:
Path pattern:
scrap\%K\%Y\%Y-%M
File types:
info,thm,filepart,db,ini,xml,aae,lnk,ctg

I'll check it out, for sure. One thing that dawned on me as I was thinking about photos. Sometimes I might not want a particular photo to contain certain metadata. Like GPS coordinates on pictures for general consumption on a website or social media, for one example. This gets way beyond the whole renaming files thing I asked about here, but I am curious if there's something that can help manage how much metadata we're actually sharing with the world, maybe without realizing it.

SirReptitious wrote:
I see that you already received several suggestions, but I'm going to offer one more because it's very different. The file manager program called TotalCommander has been around for 23 years and is constantly updated with new features, one of which is a multi-file rename tool. I'm not 100% sure it renames directories because I have never used it for that but I assume it does. Even if for some reason you find one of the other suggested programs works better for you, check this out as a replacement for the pathetic windows file explorer. You can use the program forever without buying it; you just have to click on one nag box when you start the program. http://www.ghisler.com/
Thanks for the suggestion. That one somehow sounds very familiar. I wonder if maybe I used it back in the Windows ME days. On the list.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri May 24, 2019 6:51 pm

BIF wrote:
I'll check it out, for sure. One thing that dawned on me as I was thinking about photos. Sometimes I might not want a particular photo to contain certain metadata. Like GPS coordinates on pictures for general consumption on a website or social media, for one example. This gets way beyond the whole renaming files thing I asked about here, but I am curious if there's something that can help manage how much metadata we're actually sharing with the world, maybe without realizing it.

I intentionally have location services disabled for my phone camera. I don’t trust anyone. My SLR doesn’t have that option and if I did I would disable it.

Redocbew

Fri May 24, 2019 7:07 pm

I usually keep the location service disabled on my phone also. There's other ways someone could use my phone to track me down if they really wanted to, but the GPS is a battery hog anyway.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri May 24, 2019 9:47 pm

I generally don't have GPS on (on my phone) for camera stuff, but sometimes it's really nice if you have a DSLR/mirrorless that has GPS built in (or a GPS accessory) for those times when you're on vacation or something and are shooting a ton. I generally don't share my photos with any social media/publicly though so I'm not terribly worried about it in the first place.

BIF
Topic Author

Fri May 24, 2019 9:55 pm

Thanks for the thoughts on camera GPS. Current camera doesn't have it but the phone and iPad do and it's turned on.

It's just way more convenient to have it than not. I'll just have to remember to strip the geolocation info out of the metadata.

EzioAs
Gerbil First Class

Fri May 24, 2019 10:54 pm

I've always used Bulk Rename Utility for renaming multiple files quickly. I'm sure it can be used for folders as well.
Ryzen 5 3600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport AT 3200MHz | Palit Jetstream GTX 1060 6GB | Corsair HX750i | Corsair Obsidian 750D | 250GB Crucial MX500 | 320GB WD Blue | 1TB Samsung F3 | 2TB WD Black

godforsaken
Gerbil

Sat May 25, 2019 12:55 am

I've used this for years, I don't know how it compares to anything else as I've never not been able to do what I wanted with it
https://www.den4b.com/products/renamer

robiis
Gerbil In Training

Sun May 26, 2019 4:11 am

https://www.filebot.net/ and https://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Download.php worked fine for me. I used filebot for income after tax calc and worked like a charm.

juzz86
Gerbil First Class

Sun May 26, 2019 4:33 am

Advanced Renamer for me mate, just re-done my entire video library. You set a rule and a group of files or directories, and away you go. You can undo a batch too, which is handy.
7700K, 32GB, 1080Ti - Suppressor F1

d@mn'd
Gerbil

Sun May 26, 2019 4:42 pm

When I found Rename Master I didn't look back. http://www.joejoesoft.com/vcms/108/
A softpedia review from 2008 https://www.softpedia.com/reviews/windows/Rename-Master--75099.shtml

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Sun May 26, 2019 8:45 pm

I use FileRenamer, basic works fine but I liked it enough to buy the Deluxe.
http://www.sherrodcomputers.com/product ... enamer.cfm
Main rig: Ryzen 3600X, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.