Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

jmc2
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Cross over cable to other pc, W10 wants password?

Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:20 pm

Want to connect on lan to my other pc and W10 always seems to insist on a login/password setup.
I HATE that.
Any way to get around the "login/password" needs?

(W7Pro to W10-1809)
Thanks,

TheRazorsEdge
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Cross over cable to other pc, W10 wants password?

Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:59 pm

Mount the share using a password, and check the box to remember the password.

It takes maybe a minute to open Explorer, click on This PC, and then right-click an empty space near your HDs and choose "Add a network location".

It's generally easier to roll with the security features than to try circumventing them.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:09 am

Good old fashion "workgroup" setup should still work:
1. Create identical accounts with same username and password on both (or all) of the computers, you should logon using those accounts from the get-go.
2. Set up the shares on either/both of the computers. I would suggest granting share access to the "Authenticated Users" group or that specific account. Remember, effective access is calculated from both share access and local file system permissions (most folders you create under non-special folders should inherit "Users" permissions meaning you should be able to read/write by default). Just need to make sure both permissions do not combine to less than what you want.

Caveat is the drive "hidden shares" (C$ for example) will still not be available unless you elevate to an admin token (under UAC), which from normal File/Windows Explorer windows is not possible. Creating separate shares is not that much more difficult.

Of course, if you have an Active Directory, all that stuff can be centralized but the setup cost for a full AD network is overkill in your situation.

Edit: if you are using a cross-over cable for a point-to-point "LAN", name resolution may not work until both IPs have been auto-configured and they figure out who is the master browser (or something to that effect). This can take minutes. I use cross-over when I need to transfer massive amounts of files so I make sure have monitors attach to both computers and just use ipconfig to get the IPs and connect directly using \\[IP]\share.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

MOSFET
Gold subscriber
Gerbil XP

Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:17 am

Flying Fox wrote:
Of course, if you have an Active Directory, all that stuff can be centralized but the setup cost for a full AD network is overkill in your situation.

Well, there's always "slmgr.vbs -rearm" ad infinitum on the 180-day Server trials. They claim 6 reactivations (or maybe the original + 5) but for me it has worked more than 6 times. Purely for homelab use with absolutely no benefit.
Be careful on inserting this (or any G34 chip) into the socket. Once you pull that restraining lever, it is either a good install or a piece of silicon jewelry.

jmc2
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:20 am

Ok, lots to explore with networking.
Been just transferring files by flashdrive.

Looks like one of those "short term pain for long term benefits" situations.
Hope it goes smoothly. If not I'll be back here for help.

Thanks a lot!

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:21 am

For simple file transfer between boxen, Dropbox comes in pretty handy as well.
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:39 am

If you don't have a home NAS or file server, then I think Dropbox is about the best you can do for smallish transfers.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:46 am

Redocbew wrote:
If you don't have a home NAS or file server, then I think Dropbox is about the best you can do for smallish transfers.

I would argue for smallish stuff USB stick works best.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

jmc2
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:32 pm

Oh, the files are several GBs each video files.
Edit on my 3930 6 core and put them over on the 16 core threadripper to process.

thanks

TheRazorsEdge
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:16 pm

MOSFET wrote:
Well, there's always "slmgr.vbs -rearm" ad infinitum on the 180-day Server trials. They claim 6 reactivations (or maybe the original + 5) but for me it has worked more than 6 times. Purely for homelab use with absolutely no benefit.

You can run slmgr.vbs -dlv to see how many rearms you have remaining. If you have their volume-licensed ISO, it starts at 999.

Even then there is a way to reset, although you have to boot from alternate media and edit the registry offline.