Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

jmc2
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

"minimize" drops 3 cores by 600Mhz EDIT...The slow ones went UP!

Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:49 pm

Ryzen 3950x, x370 Gigabyte Gaming, W10Pro 1909

Have batch TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 7 running and noticed that when I was checking progress I would tend to notice the fans.
When I minimized it the fans would fade. Temp drops around 3C.

So finally running the graph in Ryzen Master I saw that 3 cores would drop from 4.1+ Ghz to 3.6 Ghz if batch was in the background.
The only setting in Batch was setting the Priority. Even setting it to "HIGH" (if in background) had no effect with the slow down.

So I'm thinking it must be must be something in Windows 10? CPU power options are set at 90% and 100%.
I don't want things to slow down.

Thoughts Welcome,
jmc2
Last edited by jmc2 on Sat May 02, 2020 7:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Encoding drops 3 cores by 600Mhz if in background?

Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:17 pm

It's probably nothing to worry about. I'm not familiar enough with the inner workings of Windows to comment on what it might be doing when tasks are minimized, but I would guess that some kind of prioritization scheme based on what window has focus is unlikely.

Some programs(like Handbrake) have all the usual knobs and sliders, but don't give you any way to explicitly set the number of threads used during encoding, and it's not really an issue. If you know exactly what your encodes need from the hardware, then you probably aren't going to be using Handbrake. :P
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

jmc2
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:08 pm

Redocbew wrote:
It's probably nothing to worry about. I'm not familiar enough with the inner workings of Windows to comment on what it might be doing when tasks are minimized, but I would guess that some kind of prioritization scheme based on what window has focus is unlikely.
Some programs(like Handbrake) have all the usual knobs and sliders, but don't give you any way to explicitly set the number of threads used during encoding, and it's not really an issue. If you know exactly what your encodes need from the hardware, then you probably aren't going to be using Handbrake. :P

Yeah, It bugs me but I'm just keeping the Batch Window behind my browser.
It does not have to be the one in focus but does have to be open on the desktop to stop the slow down.

Thanks.

Igor_Kavinski
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:39 pm

jmc2 wrote:
Yeah, It bugs me but I'm just keeping the Batch Window behind my browser.
It does not have to be the one in focus but does have to be open on the desktop to stop the slow down.

Thanks.

Did you try running the encoding job in a VM? That probably might not incur the down clock.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:58 pm

Did you try running the same encode twice, once each way, to see if the encode is actually slowing down? If the encode rate is actually dropping, you have a problem. If the system is doing the same work with less power and noise when minimized, you have the opposite of a problem.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

jmc2
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:42 pm

@Igor_Kavinski
Hmm, run it in a VM. I'll have to try that. I have a VM that I use with OBS. Thanks.

@ludi » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:58 pm
"Did you try running the same encode twice, once each way,"

Will have to try that and see if it does.
Have read that these new Ryzens are crazy complicated with all the sensors and controls built in.
Thank,
jmc2

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:50 pm

jmc2 wrote:
The only setting in Batch was setting the Priority. Even setting it to "HIGH" (if in background) had no effect

Do Task Manager/Process Explorer agree that it really sets the process priority?

jmc2
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:20 pm

meerkt wrote:
jmc2 wrote:
The only setting in Batch was setting the Priority. Even setting it to "HIGH" (if in background) had no effect

Do Task Manager/Process Explorer agree that it really sets the process priority?

Hmm, something else to double check along with the watt usage.

Thanks!
jmc2

jmc2
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Fri May 01, 2020 10:47 am

ludi wrote:
Did you try running the same encode twice, once each way, to see if the encode is actually slowing down? If the encode rate is actually dropping, you have a problem. If the system is doing the same work with less power and noise when minimized, you have the opposite of a problem.

That was a very good idea. I was looking at the fastest cores 5,6,7,15 and just noticed the speed drop...several hundred Mhzs.
But when I switched back and forth foreground/background I was watching the graph and saw that yes the top core speeds dropped BUT most of the slower cores went up by 100 Mhz +/-.
So the end results was an 8 seconds faster encode (4:22 vs 4:30) in the background then the foreground! Nice surprise.

EDIT...VideoReDo also gains fps by being minimized...285fps vs 281fps. Consistent results.