Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

southrncomfortjm
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fresh windows install on new SSD, other parts being replaced too

Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:18 pm

Hi everyone,

I have received all parts for my PC overhaul. CPU, Mobo, RAM and system drive are being replaced, and an 8TB storage drive is being added. I have an OEM version of windows (bad purchase back in the day) so I have a new Windows license to use and a USB stick to install it with.

So, currently my OS is on a Samsung 840 SSD. After the overhaul, I'm going to install Windows on a Sabrent Rocket M.2 drive. I've never replaced the system drive on a PC, and I've never installed Windows to boot from an M.2 drive, which I've heard can be tricky.

So, I guess my overall questions are:

1- What do I do with the windows install on the old Samsung 840? Should I uninstall windows from it before trying to install and boot from the M.2 drive?

2- Anyone have a guide for installing to an M.2 drive that they think is good and easy to follow? Please share!

3- Any other issues/concerns I should be looking out for?

Thanks!
Gaming: i5-3570k/Z77/212 Evo/Corsair 500R/16GB 1600 CL8/RX 480 8GB/840 250gb, EVO 500gb, SG 3tb/Tachyon 650w/Win10

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Re: Fresh windows install on new SSD, other parts being replaced too

Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:20 pm

I only remember drives booting off PCIe slots (M.2 adapter, Optane, etc.) would be tricky. For M.2 slots on the motherboard it should be simple as switching the proper boot order in the BIOS. The other thing to look out for is that if you get an NVMe drive, don't force "SATA mode" in the BIOS for the M.2 slot (default value should be fine).

As for the old SSD, sounds like you still want the drive connected to the new system? When you do the initial Windows install, make sure the M.2 SSD is the only connected drive. Then plug in the HDD and old drive and you should be golden.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

southrncomfortjm
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Re: Fresh windows install on new SSD, other parts being replaced too

Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:30 pm

Got it, thank you!

Flying Fox wrote:
I only remember drives booting off PCIe slots (M.2 adapter, Optane, etc.) would be tricky. For M.2 slots on the motherboard it should be simple as switching the proper boot order in the BIOS. The other thing to look out for is that if you get an NVMe drive, don't force "SATA mode" in the BIOS for the M.2 slot (default value should be fine).

As for the old SSD, sounds like you still want the drive connected to the new system? When you do the initial Windows install, make sure the M.2 SSD is the only connected drive. Then plug in the HDD and old drive and you should be golden.
Gaming: i5-3570k/Z77/212 Evo/Corsair 500R/16GB 1600 CL8/RX 480 8GB/840 250gb, EVO 500gb, SG 3tb/Tachyon 650w/Win10