Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Chalesboon
Gerbil
Topic Author

How to Disable a Laptop’s Keyboard in Windows 10

Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:50 am

For a few days I am upset with the keyboard of my laptop, I want to disable it, but I am not able to disable it due to lack of complete information, will anyone give me the right advice.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Re: How to Disable a Laptop’s Keyboard in Windows 10

Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:14 am

What are you going to use without a keyboard?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:01 pm

Even if you want to use an external keyboard, why do you need to disable the built-in one?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

greatverg
Gerbil In Training

Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:30 am

Hey
To disable a Laptop's keyword in windows 10 by the following steps:
1. Open the Device Manager in your laptop,
2. In the Device Manager, locate and double-click on the Keyboards section to expand it.
3. All of the keyboards connected to your computer at that moment in time will be listed under the Keyboards section. ...
4. In the resulting context menu, click on Disable.

Hope this Helps!

Chalesboon
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:03 am

Sorry, I got sick due to viral infection, I was away from home in my village, so today I am seeing your response. Thank you admin and greatverg, I have resolved my problem by following the tips given by you guys.

Rickbale
Gerbil In Training

Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:28 am

I suggest you follow the steps below:

Press Windows + X and select Device Manager from the list.
Find Keyboards in the list of devices and click the arrow to expand it.
Right-click on the internal keyboard and click Disable. If there is no Disable option listed, click Uninstall.
Click File>Exit. Your laptop’s internal keyboard should now be disabled.
Note: If you had to choose Uninstall instead of Disable in step 4, the keyboard will be automatically detected and re-installed if you ever have the Device Manager scan for new hardware for some reason. If that happens you’ll need to repeat this procedure in order to uninstall it again.

Hope the information helps.

Regards,
Rick Bale

robinson
Gerbil In Training

Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:03 am

If you want to disable your laptop keyboard in Windows 10, there are two safe methods: disable it in Device Manager or permanently uninstall it. Another technique is to force the keyboard to use a driver that it can't use, thus stopping it from working.

Use Device Manager to Disable the Keyboard

1. Open Device Manager. One of the easiest ways to do this is to open the Run dialog box (press Windows key+R) and enter the devmgmt.msc command. Or, right-click the Start button in Windows 10 and choose the tool from there.
2. Expand the Keyboards section to see a list of devices.
3. Right-click Standard PS/2 Keyboard and choose Disable device. If you don't see this option, try a different method below.
4. Confirm with Yes. If the keyboard isn't disabled right away, restart the computer.

Stop the Keyboard From Installing With Group Policy Editor

1. Press Windows key+X and then select Device Manager.
2. Expand Keyboards.
3. Right-click Standard PS/2 Keyboard and choose Properties.
4. Go to the Details tab and change the Property drop-down option to Hardware Ids.
5. Open the Run dialog box (Windows key+R) and enter the gpedit.msc command.
6. Under the Computer Configuration heading, navigate to Administrative Templates > System > Device Installation > Device Installation Restrictions.
7. Right-click Prevent installation of devices that match any of these device instance IDs, and select Edit.
8. Select Enabled from the left side, and then choose Show from the area below it.
9. Return to Device Manager as you left it in Step 4. Right-click the first entry in that list and choose Copy.
10. Go back to the policy you opened in Step 8, double-click the space under Value, and then paste the copied ID into that box. To past the ID, either press Ctrl+V or right-click and choose Paste.
11. Choose OK on that screen, and then OK on the policy screen.
12. Find the device again in Device Manager, right-click it, and choose Uninstall device. Accept any prompts that might show up.
13. Restart the computer to disable the laptop keyboard permanently.

Hope I solved your problem. Thanks