Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

SM1
Gerbil
Topic Author

Windows 10 2004 build

Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:59 pm

Had a Windows 10 2004 update recently break my laptop my system backup images were on my internal storage disk (D) but when you do a restore of a drive image it shows up as a storage disk (C) now. I took my images and placed them on a USB drive which allowed me to select the image but it fails to restore. I ended up doing a complete windows install with the latest ISO file of windows 10 2004 and changed my image backups to be on a external USB SSD and they now work but if you put that same image on the internal storage disk (D) it shows up still as a storage disk (C) when doing a drive image recovery.

Anyone got any ideas what's causing this?

Cheers Simon

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Windows 10 2004 build

Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:37 am

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "c" vs "d", "internal"...
It also highly depends on the imaging/backup software you use.

SM1
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:56 am

meerkt wrote:
I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "c" vs "d", "internal"...
It also highly depends on the imaging/backup software you use.

Hi Meerkt my operating system is installed on a SSD drive letter "(C:)" my second internal HD is called "Storage Disk (D:)" with the assigned letter (D:) attached. I'm using the windows 10 in built system image backup tool. When ever I do a full drive image recovery and windows looks for the " WindowsImageBackup" folder it finds "Storage Disk (C:)" which I don't have and I can't change it to point to "Storage Disk (D:)" after the update. Since doing a full clean windows install it's still doing it so I'm thinking the update has screwed this up because it continues doing it.

Simon

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:56 am

I'm not familiar with the Win10 tool, perhaps someone else would have more to say.

You could consider using a 3rd party backup/cloning software. Haven't tried, but maybe:
https://www.easeus.com/support/todo-bac ... ackup.html

SM1
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:53 pm

meerkt that may well be the best solution getting a third party image tool I still can't figure this out but at least it works on a external HD.

Simon