Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

jhflau11
Gerbil
Topic Author

Installing windows XP on a home built machine

Wed Apr 24, 2002 1:44 pm

I am planning to build my own pc for the first time. I want to install win XP Home on it. My question is it possible to install winXP using the upgrade version on a new machine? While I'm at it I'll run my specs by you all. Thank for the help.

XP 1800
MSI K7N420 Pro
256-512 MB PC2100
Geforce 3 TI200
Western Digial 80GB 7200rpm
Pioneer 16x DVD
Lite-On 32x12x40 CDRW
US Robotics 2977 56k modem
Antec SX635 Case

Suggestions/Comments??

St. Babu
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Apr 24, 2002 3:26 pm

Yeah, it's possible. You need a full version on CD of a previous OS, though. During the install it will ask you to insert the CD of the OS you're upgrading from. Any 98, ME, or Win2k pro CD should work, I think.

jhflau11
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Apr 24, 2002 3:47 pm

I thought that might work. But wasn't sure, since I have never tried. Thank for the info.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

go for XP pro

Thu Apr 25, 2002 3:12 pm

then if you upgrade to duallie later you will be happy. XP pro is only $150 oem... and since you are building a system... thats the way you should go in my opinion.

- danny e.

lahaine
Gerbil

Re: Installing windows XP on a home built machine

Fri Apr 26, 2002 7:37 am

jhflau11 wrote:
I am planning to build my own pc for the first time. I want to install win XP Home on it. My question is it possible to install winXP using the upgrade version on a new machine?

Yes, it's possible. I bought the upgrade version for my laptop, as it had come with Windows 98 SE.

I just booted on the XP Upgrade CD and off it went - and it never asked me for a previous Windows CD, even though I just removed all the partitions and installed afresh (as if it had been a new hard drive). Don't know why, but it made the job a bit easier...

fc34
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed May 08, 2002 9:23 am

Yes, it is certainly possible given your computer's specs, however, you would need some other OS other than DOS to install winXP from.

lahaine
Gerbil

Wed May 08, 2002 9:41 am

fc34 wrote:
Yes, it is certainly possible given your computer's specs, however, you would need some other OS other than DOS to install winXP from.

Nope not necessary, I had booted on a DOS floppy to remove the previous partitions. So there were no partitions or OSes on my machine.

I then booted from the XP upgrade CD, and the install ran all the way through, without *ever* asking me for anything to do with a previous version of windows.

So I didn't need any other OS to do the install. If DOS had been on the HDD I could have still done the install - deciding to wipe over it or go elsewhere on the HDD. As you said, you can't run the XP install from DOS, but you *can* boot straight from the CD and get round that.

The original question was about a new machine - which will of course be quite happy to boot on the CD, and install will run fine.

As fc34 says, the specs are fine for XP.

jsbach11
Gerbil Elite

Wed May 08, 2002 10:08 am

I noticed you have a DVD and a CDRW planned. This is unrelated to your original question, but just so you know (in case this is your first build): you should set one of those as the Slave (and your hard drive as the Master) on one IDE cable. Put the other drive on the other IDE cable. If both are set as the Master and Slave on the same cable, you won't be able to copy CDs "on the fly." That is, you won't be able to put a CD in the DVD player and burn it directly to the CDRW. Am I making any sense? :D

This is helpful if you, for example, want to make copies of an audio CD-R that you had previously burned. If you don't care to do anything like this, just forget I wrote anything :lol:

jhflau11
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed May 08, 2002 10:21 am

Thanks to everyone for replying. jsbach11, thanks for addition info I didn't know about that. Will putting my DVD or CDRW on the the same cable as the hard drive slow down the hard drive?

Rickbale
Gerbil In Training

Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:12 am

Follow these steps to install Windows XP on your machine

Step 1: Insert Your Windows XP Bootable Disk

For this step, you will need to open your CD-ROM drive and insert your Windows XP disk. You can now close the CD-Rom Drive.

Step 2: How to Boot From a CD
On most home computers, you will want to shut down your station. After the station is off, you can restart it. While the station is restarting, begin pressing the F12 key over and over again. This will take you to the boot options menu.

Now that you are in the boot options menu, you will need to use the arrow keys on your keyboard to move over the choice for an Onboard or USB CD-ROM Drive. Press Enter.

After you have pressed Enter, most Windows XP disks will prompt you to press any key to boot from the CD (As seen in picture 2). When this appears, you will have only a few seconds to press any key on the keyboard. I usually choose the Space-bar because it is the easiest to find and press.

Step 3: Beginning the Process
After you have chosen to boot from the CD, you will have to wait a few minutes. The disk will check your hard drive to see if Windows XP is currently installed on it. After the disk has made its check you should see a screen like the one in the first picture on this page.

You will want to press Enter because you are planning on installing Windows XP on your system. If you realize that you have data on your hard drive and need to back it up, now would be the time to press F3 and exit the installation program to back it up.

Step 4: Licensing Agreement and Begin Setup
The next page that you will see is the Windows XP Licensing Agreement. On this page, you can take the time to read through the agreement, but it is just saying that you will not be breaking any laws using this product. I personally just hit F8 (to agree) and move on to the next step in the installation.

After pressing F8, you will come to the beginning of the Windows XP setup. On this page, you will want to press the Esc key on the keyboard. This will tell the program not to try and repair the current installation.

Step 5: Deleting the Current Partition
The next step in installing Windows XP is to delete the old partition on your hard drive. You will see a screen similar to the one in the first picture of this page. You will want to scroll over the C: partition that is currently on your hard drive. The next thing you will need to do is click the D key. This will tell the program that you want to Delete the current partition.

Step 6: Beginning the Install
Now that you have deleted the old partition, you will need to be sure that the partition is selected and press the Enter key. This will tell the program that you want to install Windows XP on that partition.

Step 7: Allowing Windows XP to Install
This step will probably be the longest step. This is because you are at the mercy of the system and how fast it installs Windows XP. After you have pressed the Enter key in the last step, you will see the screen in the first picture here appear. This will mean that the program is running the installation.

Step 8: Finishing the Installation
After pressing the next button, you will see a Thank you screen. On this screen, you will need to press Finish.

This will bring up a screen similar to the second picture on this page.

Now you will see that the computer has logged you in for the first time. You should see a screen like the third picture on this page.

I hope this information was helpful.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 am

Rickbale wrote:
Follow these steps to install Windows XP on your machine

By now they'd probably want to install Vista.

layerup
Gerbil

Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:01 am

meerkt wrote:
By now they'd probably want to install Vista.

I'm about to do that so I can finally play Halo 2 on GFWL!

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:35 am

It's not worth it, and you can get Halo 2 to work on XP:
https://agentsmithak.tripod.com/halo2_xp_patch.html

But it's going to be a problem when games really start to employ DX10.

layerup
Gerbil

Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:19 pm

meerkt wrote:
It's not worth it, and you can get Halo 2 to work on XP:
https://agentsmithak.tripod.com/halo2_xp_patch.html

But it's going to be a problem when games really start to employ DX10.

Uh, does this require service pack 2? I don't have access to a service pack 2 cd for xp...

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:11 pm