Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Pcfreakske2000
Gerbil

Re: Spyware/Adware/Malware/etc. - Read Me first.

Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:42 pm

I recently found another good anti-malware application : Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

On the site it says that it's "shareware", but I found out it's actually freeware, without the real-time protection.

Just go to http://www.malwarebytes.org to download it.
Greetings,

Pcfreakske2000

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:12 pm

You know, Spybot and Adaware are pretty obsoleted nowadays. Perhaps it's time to change the recommended "Use this first" tools?

mikeymike
Gerbil Elite

Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:00 am

I still use Spybot on XP machines, it doesn't seem so effective on Vista even if it is given admin privs. I use MalwareBytes on Vista/7 machines.

chuckula
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:51 pm

I just cleaned the Sirefef trojan off of my fiance's notebook. Microsft Security Essentials (which is actually pretty good and free) could spot it, but it was unable to actually remove the stupid thing. It was residing in a folder that was masked from Explorer and the command prompt too (not a "hidden" folder either, this was something deeper). I ended up using a Linux boot-cd to mount the drive from the outside where the folder was visible and then I nuked it from orbit.. it was the only way to be sure.

I know that my fiance downloaded & installed the malware back on the 2nd... hopefully I'm done with this crap for a while. There's a reason I use Linux whenever I have the choice :roll:
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:07 pm

chuckula wrote:
I just cleaned the Sirefef trojan off of my fiance's notebook. Microsft Security Essentials (which is actually pretty good and free) could spot it, but it was unable to actually remove the stupid thing. It was residing in a folder that was masked from Explorer and the command prompt too (not a "hidden" folder either, this was something deeper). I ended up using a Linux boot-cd to mount the drive from the outside where the folder was visible and then I nuked it from orbit.. it was the only way to be sure.

I know that my fiance downloaded & installed the malware back on the 2nd... hopefully I'm done with this crap for a while. There's a reason I use Linux whenever I have the choice :roll:

Yeah, "cloaked" malware seems to be becoming more prevalent. I encountered one myself a few days ago, as described here. It seems that you now need to have rootkit detection/removal tools in your arsenal as well as the tried-and-true virus scanners like MSE and MBAM. I'm not sure what's considered good for rootkit removal these days...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Dirge
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:34 pm

If you choose a custom scan with Malwarebytes 'Scan for Rootkits' is an option. Though I would like to hear of anything better?
FDISK /MBR

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:00 am

Dirge wrote:
If you choose a custom scan with Malwarebytes 'Scan for Rootkits' is an option. Though I would like to hear of anything better?

Ya just necro'd a thread that predates the launch of Windows 7. :P

Dirge
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:31 pm

Haha I did too, well everyone look away now :D
FDISK /MBR

Jaketech
Gerbil In Training

Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:42 pm

There is so much more out there than what I thought. Here I am using things like AVG and Malware-bytes and there are all these others that actually do the job.... Thanks for sharing this guys

pink_flower
Gerbil

Fri May 18, 2018 1:54 am

Thanks for creating a thread on that, very useful!