Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Aa !2MC
Gerbil
Topic Author

please help before i get beat!

Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:40 pm

While trying to speed up my moms computer i unitentionaly removed the Virtual Private Networking Adapter (VPN) and now nothing works(internet) :oops: .
Its a compaq :evil: so of course it came only with a restore CD and no operating system (ME by the way). Does anybody happen to know if and where to d/l the VPN driver for Windows ME, iv ;looked for almost an hour now an u guys are my last hope. My mom is pissed beyond beleif and im scarred for my life. :o

the_silver_bullet24
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:53 pm

I dunno if this will work but try it. I dunno ME that much, just win 98.

control panel -> add remove programs ->I think the 2nd tab. then try dial up netowrking -> VPN adpator. If its not in that one try going to all of them and find it.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:54 pm

how the heck can they give out computers without a windows CD?
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

eric
Gerbil XP

Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:58 pm

This is for 98 I beleive Me is simular
Creating a VPN Icon in Windows 98
1. Double-click on My Computer.
2. Double-click on Dial-Up Networking.
3. Double-click on Make New Connection.
4. In the Select a device dialog box, use the drop down arrow to choose Microsoft VPN Adapter and click Next.

If Microsoft VPN adapter is not listed, VPN software must be added using one of the following:
o Go to Start, Settings, Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs. Under theWindows Setup tab, double-click onCommunications, scroll down to Virtual Private Networking and click the box. Click OK and follow any additional instructions.
Virtual Private Networking isn't listed, obtain a dial-up networking update here and save the downloaded file to your desktop. Double-click on the mdun13.exe icon on your desktop and follow its instructions.
Microsoft VPN Adapter will now be available, so repeat step 4.
5. In the Host name or IP Address dialog box, type connect. xxxxxxx or ip address and click Next.
6. Enter xxxxx as the Connection name and click Finish.
P4 2.4@ 3.0 Asus P4PE, Corsair PC3200, Leadtek Ti4600, WD 80gig SE, Turtle Beach Sound, Enermax Power

Aa !2MC
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Dec 02, 2002 9:57 pm

:oops: sorry i wasnt very clear. Its there, but seriously malfunctioning. I can remove it, but when i go to reinstall it it needs the ME CD or the eqiuvalent files.

ohh and danny e, I know! what the hell

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Dec 02, 2002 10:06 pm

you may be able to get the necessary files off a Win 98 cd.. i would try that

Division 3
Gerbil XP

Mon Dec 02, 2002 10:07 pm

Have you tries the system recovery cd that came with it? It worth a shot...

liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Dec 02, 2002 10:28 pm

I find that when you uninstall network drivers, the files remain on the drive. You just have to do a little searching in c:\windows\system or whatever to find them, but they should still be there. You should be able to uninstall re-install without any problem, it's just a little extra work.
Sometimes computer installers leave an image of the OS CD on the hard drive somewhere for emergencies like this or to make your own CD if you wish. You will probably want to check for the existance of these files...
Good luck on getting it fixed. Hmm, I wonder if your ma was my ex-girlfriend from years ago? Worried about her taking your life from you... sounds familiar. :wink: J/K

-LS

ericfulmer
Gerbil XP

Mon Dec 02, 2002 10:33 pm

Hey-

On every PC computer I have used that was built by someone else there was a folder like this

c:\windows\options\cabs

that had almost all of the necessary driver files for pre-installed hardware.

Look for some version of this and you might get lucky.

-E!
-Eric

Please don't quote me on this.

the_silver_bullet24
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Dec 02, 2002 11:46 pm

yeah that's what you do. when it asks to insert the CD, just tell it to goto that location. If you never had an original CD, the cabs should be there. If they are not there, try getting a CD from a friend or something.

fc34
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Dec 03, 2002 5:39 am

I'm not sure about this, but doesnt ME have a system restore.

And BTW, ME(at least in my opinion) is one of the worst OS produced by anybody in history. Switch to 2k or XP if you have the chance.
Windows XP - The 64-bit wannabe with a 32-bit graphics interface for 16-bit extensions to a 8-bit patch on a 4-bit operating system designed to run on a 2-bit processor by a company that can't stand 1-bit of competition

God in Training
Gerbil XP

Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:47 pm

Seems to me this thread has a perfect example of what NOT to use for the title. Something like "Need to find VPN Adaptor driver" would have been more appropriate.

We can understand you are in a panic, but I for one don't usually bother reading a post if the title doesn't indicate something I know I could help with.
Idealist at work.

highlandr
Gerbil Elite

Tue Dec 03, 2002 4:34 pm

If the files aren't in the /options/cabs folder, they're somewhere on a CD that came with the machine. When I worked for Gateway, people would come in asking for the windows CD, and we would tell them to put disc 1 in the machine (which looked nothing like the windows CD, said gateway all over it, and had a tiny label that said system restore or something like that.)

I don't think ANY manufacturer would ship a PC without a copy of windows on CD somewhere. That would just be silly.

Aa !2MC
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Dec 03, 2002 9:16 pm

uhh god, sorry...

yea i was gunna try the cabs thing until highlandr just informed me that its not there.
none the less im sorry, agian i wasnt very clear :oops: , the system restore disk is very much broken ( opens in explorer but flashes somthing like "bad disk" in dos when i try to use it :cry: ) Its out of warrenty so compaq will prolly want $40 for it which i do not have. Thats why i was asking for a d/l.......guess its a lost cause, thanks anywase guys

the_silver_bullet24
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Dec 03, 2002 10:03 pm

try this:

http://download.com.com/3000-2372-18518 ... ag=lst-0-1
could also make a copy of the recovery CD.

Aa !2MC
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Dec 04, 2002 12:17 am

thanks bullet but no good, looks like im gunna have to shell out $40 to buy a new recovery CD. Thanks all u guys.

dam you compaq

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Dec 04, 2002 12:21 am

you dont have a copy of Win 98 laying around?

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Wed Dec 04, 2002 1:07 am

Wait a second, Aa !2MC.

Before you do anything, let's be clear about what problems you're really having with hardware and software.

Is the CD for certain flawed, so that it can't be read at all? Since you're posting here, you must have a computer that can connect to your ISP. So use that one to test the CD. Look around on it, make sure you can (or cannot) open various folders on it, etc.

If you have 2 computers, and have run a search for the VPN files you need on the problematic one, does the working one use the same version of Windows?

If so, why don't you just take the HD out of the broken one and connect it to the working one on a temporary basis, and move the file(s) between the drives as needed?

If the CD is working, then maybe the CD drive on the other machine is broken. You could temporarily use the CD drive on your working machine for the restore process, and then put things back.

(I feel like quoting a lawyerly statement that I will not be held liable for anything you do to your machines, etc., etc., but hopefully you can be careful enough not to need this in the first place.)

If you do feel like you aren't able to work with the information and mechanical requirements of the actions described by those posting on this topic, then it may well be worth it for you to take it to a professional shop to fix it back up again. I'd say that this decision would be your mother's more than yours, though.

Good luck.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Wed Dec 04, 2002 1:18 am

Aa !2MC wrote:
uhh god, sorry...

yea i was gunna try the cabs thing until highlandr just informed me that its not there.
none the less im sorry, agian i wasnt very clear :oops: , the system restore disk is very much broken ( opens in explorer but flashes somthing like "bad disk" in dos when i try to use it :cry: ) Its out of warrenty so compaq will prolly want $40 for it which i do not have. Thats why i was asking for a d/l.......guess its a lost cause, thanks anywase guys

One last thing: I don't see where highlandr informed you that there are no CAB files. He gave the place he would look for them. That doesn't mean there is no other place to look.

You can run a search from the Search item on the Start Menu. But it would be best to know the name of the particular CAB file you require, since lots of software leaves CAB files lying around, especially Windows Update stuff.

Aa !2MC
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Dec 04, 2002 4:49 pm

Ragnar Dan wrote:

Is the CD for certain flawed, so that it can't be read at all? Since you're posting here, you must have a computer that can connect to your ISP. So use that one to test the CD. Look around on it, make sure you can (or cannot) open various folders on it, etc.

The CD will open in windows explorer and show 2 BIN files, i dont currently have accsess to the CD so i dont know there names. By the way, the computer is at my moms house and i live at my dads so i dont have accsess to the computer in question myself, just soaking up knowlege so that i may fix when i go there agian.

Ragnar Dan wrote:
If you have 2 computers, and have run a search for the VPN files you need on the problematic one, does the working one use the same version of Windows?

.....no, ME and 98

Ragnar Dan wrote:
If the CD is working, then maybe the CD drive on the other machine is broken. You could temporarily use the CD drive on your working machine for the restore process, and then put things back.

the cd isnt working, its broke

Ragnar Dan wrote:
I feel like quoting a lawyerly statement that I will not be held liable for anything you do to your machines, etc., etc., but hopefully you can be careful enough not to need this in the first place.)

dont worry about it :D
[/quote]