Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

torax
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Windows Explorer Issue

Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:31 am

Everytime I right click on the start button to open up an explorer window, it opens to the same folder every time and it drives me nuts.

C:\Documents and Settings\troth\Start Menu

Does anyone know how to change this?

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:34 am

Windows key + E will get you My Computer as the selection.

A shortcut path of:
Explorer.exe /e,[path]
Will start Windows Explorer in the path that you have used. Not using the "/e," will not show the tree on the left, but will show the task pane, in Windows XP at least.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

torax
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:39 am

Great, thank you!

Taddeusz
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:41 am

Just so it's mentioned, and I've had numerous people complain to me about this. When you right click on the Start Menu and click Explore or Explore All Users, those are specifically linked to your Start Menu or the All Users Start Menu. They are supposed to be used to modify items in the Start Menu and not for the specific purpose of opening Windows Explorer. That is why they open to the Start Menu and not to "My Computer."

I'm really not sure how this all go started. I guess a novice user noticed it when they right clicked on the start menu and passed it on. Then other people got annoyed that it always opened to the Start Menu and wondered how they could change it. Since that item is there to specifically facilitate easier modification of Start Menu items it always opens there and has no way to change it.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:01 pm

Apparently right-clicking on the Start Menu is faster than Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Windows Explorer. In Windows 95 it was under All Programs. Some genius had the idea of moving it even deeper under the menus. :x

But then people forget Win+E and/or double-clicking My Computer. Now with the XP style new Start menu in XP/2003 you can even pin Explorer in the Start menu now. Lots of other ways these days.

random gerbil
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:10 pm

The Quicklaunch toolbar is your friend.
Does anyone remember laughter?

Taddeusz
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:25 pm

random gerbil wrote:
The Quicklaunch toolbar is your friend.

That's what I did for the last user that complained about it. Just made a shortcut on her Quicklaunch to Windows Explorer.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:20 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
Apparently right-clicking on the Start Menu is faster than Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Windows Explorer. In Windows 95 it was under All Programs. Some genius had the idea of moving it even deeper under the menus. :x
Well, they have pretty good usability studies that show "ordinary" users are confused by the tree display of the folder hierarchy (and searching through trees in general -- anybody can find something in a list, but finding something in a tree requires a certain sophistication). Users who are better than ordinary can generally figure out one of the many shortcut options as described above. It's also worth noting that you can turn any folder window (such as My Computer or Documents) into an explorer window just by turning on View->Explorer Bar->Folders. There's no keyboard shortcut for that, but you can add it as a toolbar button (right-click on the toolbar and choose "Customize"). This is also handy when you have an explorer window and you want to quickly get to one of the "other places" that are offered as shortcuts in the regular folder view.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:27 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:
Well, they have pretty good usability studies that show "ordinary" users are confused by the tree display of the folder hierarchy (and searching through trees in general -- anybody can find something in a list, but finding something in a tree requires a certain sophistication).
But going Explore on the Start button brings you the Explorer with another tree, which is under the even worse location of "%Documents and Settings%\[username]\Start Menu". :o I seriously think someone has dropped the ball there somewhere. Even old dudes/dudettes they use mostly in their usability studies would not have found that.

For my mom I either turn back on the My Computer icon on the desktop or just tell her to Win+E.