Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Dai
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

XP SP2 keeps reverting back to "new" style

Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:58 pm

Longstory short, I have finally gotten around to installing XP Home with SP2. Every time I reboot, it reverts from the classic style I've set it to display to the new version. Am I overlooking something?

On another SP2 note, how do I get my Search to go back to the classic style? I go to Start, click on Search, choose Files and Folders and then the damn thing asks me what kind of search I want to perform.

diamond2a
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:37 pm

Sorry I can't help, but randomly this is happening to me on my umpteenth XP reinstall (and it's never happened before).

NOT ONLY does it keep reverting to new, but then it sometimes switches back and forth when restarted.

I'm stumped...
Opteron 170 @ 2500 stock cooler/voltage, 1GB Corsair CL 2.5, DFI LanParty UT NF4-D, Sapphire X1950 XT, 160GB IDE, 60GB IDE, 250GB SATA

Justice
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:54 pm

Save the following into a text file and name it OldSearch.reg, then double click on it to load the calssic search settings into the registry.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CabinetState]
"Settings"=hex:0c,00,02,00,0a,01,f8,75,60,00,00,00
"FullPath"=dword:00000000
"FullPathAddress"=dword:00000001
"Use Search Asst"="no"
|FN|Steel wrote:
Millions of sheep doesn't make [Censored] right.

Dai
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:04 pm

Justice wrote:
Save the following into a text file and name it OldSearch.reg, then double click on it to load the calssic search settings into the registry.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CabinetState]
"Settings"=hex:0c,00,02,00,0a,01,f8,75,60,00,00,00
"FullPath"=dword:00000000
"FullPathAddress"=dword:00000001
"Use Search Asst"="no"

Thank you, that worked.

Justice
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:14 pm

Try downloading the latest Tweakui from Microsoft. There are some explorer shell settings that should make your style "stick".
|FN|Steel wrote:
Millions of sheep doesn't make [Censored] right.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:44 pm

axeman wrote:
I'm not sure why the theme wouldn't stick, but:
If you want to force the Classic UI, you can stop the themes service, and then change it to disabled. Of course , if you are wanting the classic style start menu, and not just the "theme" this won't fix that.. I'm sure there is a registry key to force the Classic Start Menu, as you can force this with Group Policies on XP pro, and group policies are just an easy way to control registry settings for the most part.

It's the other way around. He wants the nice fancy theme.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:12 pm

axeman wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
axeman wrote:
I'm not sure why the theme wouldn't stick, but:
If you want to force the Classic UI, you can stop the themes service, and then change it to disabled. Of course , if you are wanting the classic style start menu, and not just the "theme" this won't fix that.. I'm sure there is a registry key to force the Classic Start Menu, as you can force this with Group Policies on XP pro, and group policies are just an easy way to control registry settings for the most part.

It's the other way around. He wants the nice fancy theme.

Every time I reboot, it reverts from the classic style I've set it to display to the new version.

I could have sworn he wanted the classic style.

Dang, reading that the 5th time, I see what you mean. I stand corrected.

Klyith
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:33 pm

If you hate the XP "Luna" style and always want to use classic style (or maybe a different style), you can delete everything in C:\Windows\Resources\Luna
The permanent fix, as it were. It also means windows will boot up just that slight bit faster, because it doesn't have to load the luna skin for the logon windows, just to turn it off again as soon as you're in.

Dai
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:02 am

Klyith wrote:
If you hate the XP "Luna" style and always want to use classic style (or maybe a different style), you can delete everything in C:\Windows\Resources\Luna
The permanent fix, as it were. It also means windows will boot up just that slight bit faster, because it doesn't have to load the luna skin for the logon windows, just to turn it off again as soon as you're in.

I forgot that once you delete stuff like this, Windows just puts it back... How do you kill the luna.msstyles and all of its' backups?

I am really starting to hate this look....

Okay, I got it. I did a search for lunamsstyles and killed all instances and it finally took.