Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Michael Ryan
Gerbil
Topic Author

Not much works in my XP

Mon Feb 10, 2003 11:12 pm

As I mentioned in other posts, many programs crash after a few minutes of running on my new system with Windows XP. I had hoped it was somehow related to my BIOS problem, but it doesen't appear to be. I'm running an AthlonXP 2100+, ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, 512 MB DDR RAM, and programs that worked on my PII 400 don't want to run. I had Easy CD creator installed, but I uninstalled it when it gave me errors. Could this somehow still be a problem? The exact error message that came up the last time I was kicked out of Warcraft III was:

Exception: 0xC0000005 (ACCESS_VIOLATION) at 001B:6F0EFBA0

The instruction at '0x6F0EFBA0' referenced memory at '0x1F5F3FEC'.
The memory could not be 'read'.

And Asus Probe 2 also had something to say about it:

Access violation at address 4132A2E4 in module 'VCL35.bpl'.
Read of address FFFFFFFF.

Other programs that have not run include Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2. I have run these from each of my HDD, some installed before changing systems (I'm using the same HDD's), some installed after. Is there anywhere I could find exactly what these error messages mean?

fc34
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Feb 11, 2003 4:07 am

U say tat u run them off the HDD without reinstalling. Try reinstalling one and see if it helps. It could be creating errors because it is looking in the registry for information that does not exist, since the system was upgraded.
Windows XP - The 64-bit wannabe with a 32-bit graphics interface for 16-bit extensions to a 8-bit patch on a 4-bit operating system designed to run on a 2-bit processor by a company that can't stand 1-bit of competition

NeXus 6
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Feb 11, 2003 6:37 am

If you're running a version of Easy CD creator prior to 5, then it won't work under XP. There may be a fix for it but I since moved on to using Nero 5. For older games under XP, you can try running them in 'Compatiblity Mode' if you keep getting errors or crashes. Just right-click on the icon, select properties, and choose compatibility mode.

If you didn't format your hard drive after installing your new motherboard then you will need to do it. This should always be done.