Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

rvdsabu4life
Gerbil
Topic Author

Autochk not found...HELP!

Wed Feb 19, 2003 5:33 pm

Ok, I have read similiar post about my problem but none apply to me. There are a few reasons my error occured. I had mandrake 9 and win xp pro. I was getting low on disk space so I deleted the linux partition with Partition Magic 8. I then restarted into dos and did the fdisk /mbr command to delete LILO. Now, that worked great, no LILO, but I get the error after the windows splash screen "autochk not found - skipping autocheck" and my compter restarts. I started into dos with my 98se bootdisk to look for the file, but it now says that I have no valid FAT 32 partition...even though I do. I have also tried the XP recovery console and used chkdsk, fixboot, and fixmbr but it was to no avail. I also tried booting into all of the options in the f8 menu before windows but i get nowhere. I was creating a program I needed done by the end of the week so if anyone can help that would be great. Thanks!

dolemitecomputers
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:17 pm

So it still restarts after the error? Do you have boot disks for parition magic? You could use those to check the parition to make sure it is not corrupt. Did check disk find any errors? I had the same error before and I could send you a copy of the file to copy to the system32 folder. What version of partition magic is this?

rvdsabu4life
Gerbil
Topic Author

OK

Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:50 pm

Yes it restarts after the error, no i don;t have the boot disks for PM, check disk did not find any errors, it is PM 8.0. I tried copying the file from the XP cd into the system32 directory but i still get the same error.

rvdsabu4life
Gerbil
Topic Author

OK

Thu Feb 20, 2003 7:13 am

I have tried re-installing xp, 2000, and 98. Both XP and 2000 say they need to re-partition my hard drive, therefore erasing all my files. 98 says it can't find enough space to install.

fc34

Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:01 am

Heres an option:

Get an old HDD ($20-40, no need to be flashy)

Put as Primary
Put current HDD as slave

Install XP on new HDD
Install Pm 8.0 then copy/fix existing partitions on old (secondary) drive. Back up files

Reinstall XP on the fixed partition

HDD(10 GB) can be bought for $20-40 tops
Windows XP - The 64-bit wannabe with a 32-bit graphics interface for 16-bit extensions to a 8-bit patch on a 4-bit operating system designed to run on a 2-bit processor by a company that can't stand 1-bit of competition

rvdsabu4life
Gerbil
Topic Author

OK

Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:51 pm

I will try it with my other computer Hard drive and post the results...thanks in advance!

rvdsabu4life
Gerbil
Topic Author

OK

Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:04 am

Alright, I had a 2gb hard drive. I installed win98 on it and booted. after i installed all the hardware, i saw my other hard drive in "my computer" clicked on it, and it said "device cannot be found. The driveattached t the device is not functioning" or something like that. ANyway, so i installed PM 8 and when it opened, it saw my other hard drice with the word "BAD" on the graph. I set it to active, applied changes, and restarted but nothing happened...sam error. I wouldn't be so dissappointed as long as I can save the files. Most of them are irreplaceable and must be saved. /i was toying with the idea of reinstalling linux and see if linux can see the file on the bad drive. ANy other suggestions are very welcome.

dolemitecomputers

Fri Feb 21, 2003 8:12 am

Did you have PM check for errors? Maybe it's something it can correct. It looks like the partition is corrupt and it might be difficult to get the data from it.