Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Uziel
Gerbil
Topic Author

Batch .dbx to .eml converter?

Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:21 am

I was volunteered for a 'fix a family member's computer' and didn't find out until I was already working on it that this meant migrating files from one computer to another. They had no idea where any of their files were besides "they are in word".

I am looking for a free program to take the dbx files from two Outlook Express identities and save them in another format (probably .eml). Can anyone please recommend one that they've used before? Looking at converting like 1500 emails over, and trying to wade through all of the **** shareware is depressing.

bthylafh
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Batch .dbx to .eml converter?

Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:28 am

Why are you doing it like that?

First, are you planning on keeping this user on Outlook Express, or will he/she be migrated to a different program? If you're sticking with OE, there's no need to export everything to .EML. If you're migrating to Outlook (that comes with Office) or Thunderbird, these can import OE files directly; you'll want to back up the .dbx files, import them into OE on the new computer, and from there tell the program you're wanting to use to import from OE.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:30 am

IIRC you can just drag'n'drop messages out of OE and they appear as .eml files.

Failing that you can import them into thunderbird which has several export/archive addons that can do this.
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!

Uziel
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:03 am

The user has since switched to using their ISP's webmail and has said that they never want to use Outlook or Outlook Express again. I'll try selecting them all and dragging them out of the inbox.

bthylafh
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:17 am

If the ISP has IMAP access, what you could do[1] is remove the user/pass for the old POP3-based stuff, add a "new" account that accesses via IMAP, create folders on the IMAP account, and mass-drag stuff from the locally-saved email folders to the new IMAP stuff. In theory, they'll then be able to access everything via the webmail interface.

[1] Just did this in Thunderbird the other day, it may work with OE too. It was a little slow, but worked automatically.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Uziel
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:28 am

cheesyking wrote:

Failing that you can import them into thunderbird which has several export/archive addons that can do this.

Dragging them out worked. Can't believe I didn't think to try that. Thanks all!

cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:29 am

Uziel wrote:
cheesyking wrote:

Dragging them out worked. Can't believe I didn't think to try that. Thanks all!

Yeah, it's a surprisingly neat trick for an otherwise pretty horrible piece of software... now if only its bigger brother outlook could manage the same thing :roll:
Fernando!

Your mother ate my dog!