Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

FULL VERSION Windows 7 for $29.99 for students

Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:15 am

The number is 1-877-696-7786, the only verification is that you give them a .edu email address; they give you order and reference numbers regardless, and the email is not verified. I got my email back instantly with this order summary (top, personal, details are omitted):

Microsoft Store [email protected] wrote:
Thank you for your purchase:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows 7 Professional Full

Quantity: 1 $29.99

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subtotal: $29.99
Shipping: $4.99
Tax: $2.88

Total: $37.86

You simply call the number, press 1, and then when they answer the phone after about 10-15 minutes of terrible hold music, you ask specifically for 'Windows 7 Professional, Full Version' and they say 'ok,' take your information, and charge you $29.99 for the software; my total was $37.86 to have the DVD shipped to my home address.

*edit, make sure you tell them that you're a student. I'm beginning to be less sure that this number is 'just for students,' but I do know about half a dozen people that have done this successfully, some of them using more than one .edu address at their disposal to get mutliple copies. **edit, option instructions changed
Last edited by Airmantharp on Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ssidbroadcast
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: FULL VERSION Windows 7 for $29.99 for students

Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:26 am

Thanks man! The More You Know!

Edit: whoa, you're right about that hold music. It's horrible. Sounds like something from a 2nd-rate ps1 Wipeout clone.

Edit2: Done. My total came out to $37.95 after following your instructions to the letter. Sales tax is WA is a little higher, but overall still a very, very acceptable deal for a full Win7 OS.

FYI: The invoice/verification email is sent to the .edu email you provide, so it might be unwise to to make up one.
Last edited by ssidbroadcast on Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:41 am

ssidbroadcast wrote:
Thanks man! The More You Know!

Sadly blocked at my work :).

For everyone reading, if you do this let us know in the thread!

glacius555
Gerbil XP

Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:44 am

Argh! I live in EU, anyone wants to make a deal?;)
Fractal Design Arc Midi|Antec EA-650|Asus P7P55D Premium|Core i5-750|Gigabyte HD6950 unlocked|X-Fi XtremeMusic|24" Iiyama ProLite B2403WS|Logitech Z-5500|Logitech G11|Logitech G9x

JJCDAD
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:44 am

What do you mean "email is not verified"? Don't they send the order summary email to your .edu account?

SpartanCaptain
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:16 am

It's not going to work if you dont have an email.
as these are the directions
Check your email inbox.
Click on the link in the email to access to the store.
Purchase your license/product key.
IMPORTANT! Hold on to your confirmation email. You will need this if you need to restart the installation process.
Checkout and download Windows 7!

So without the valid e-mail your not gonna get anything. But you will be charged.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:18 am

SpartanCaptain wrote:
Check your email inbox.
IMPORTANT! Hold on to your confirmation email. You will need this if you need to restart the installation process.

So without the valid e-mail your not gonna get anything. But you will be charged.

Well, I specified above that I ordered the DVD, not the download. So assume that if you don't order the physical medium, the email address would have to be real in order to get the download link, not that I'm advocating using a fake one. Also, this is separate from the online service, where you can only get the upgrade version, which is what makes this special.

SpartanCaptain
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:21 am

Airmantharp wrote:
SpartanCaptain wrote:
Check your email inbox.

Well, I specified above that I ordered the DVD, not the download. So assume that if you don't order the physical medium, the email address would have to be real, not that I'm advocating using a fake one. Also, this is separate from the online service, where you can only get the upgrade version, which is what makes this special.

My bad you are correct. I was getting ready to do it but as I am a part time student i very rarely use my email at school. And I cant find the password. Our help desk is taking forever to respond I'll have to wait for them to get me a new password.

Chrizzle
Gerbil In Training

Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:33 am

Sounds like a good deal! Although, I got my full copy of win7 pro for free through our IT Department's alliance with MSDN =)

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:37 am

Engineering and Computer Science students should look into Microsoft Software Developer Network Academic Alliance (MSDNAA). Many large schools subscribe to the service, which would allow you to download Windows 7 for free.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

Scorpiuscat
Gerbil Elite

Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:39 am

Umm.....Does anyone have a .edu email I can borrow? :o
All civilizations become either spacefaring or extinct - Carl Sagan

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:42 am

Airmantharp, if you're ever in Cincinnati, I owe you a beer for this. We'll meet at Rockbottom Brewery on Fountain Square and I'll pay my dues.

ssidbroadcast
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:49 am

flip-mode wrote:
Airmantharp, if you're ever in Cincinnati, I owe you a beer for this. We'll meet at Rockbottom Brewery on Fountain Square and I'll pay my dues.

If either of you are in Bellingham, I will buy you a beer. Not some crappy Miller Lite, either. We'll meet at Boundary Bay and I'll order a couple of Scotch Ale's. They taste kinda like Mac & Jack's.

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:56 am

Scorpiuscat wrote:
Umm.....Does anyone have a .edu email I can borrow? :o

Indeed. Group buy anyone? :D

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:00 pm

Fort Worth, TX, sorry :). But should I ever venture, I would definitely sit down for a beer, especially if it's a good micro-brewery!

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:01 pm

This isn't the same as the student discount for UPGRADE media only is it? I didn't jump on that one because I'm afraid of the upgrade only media restrictions.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:25 pm

Any idea if this is a limited time deal?

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:09 pm

SecretMaster wrote:
This isn't the same as the student discount for UPGRADE media only is it? I didn't jump on that one because I'm afraid of the upgrade only media restrictions.

RTFT.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:11 pm

Skrying wrote:
Any idea if this is a limited time deal?

Someone mentioned January, but I've honestly no idea. But really, for the price, and if you're a student with university email and otherwise don't have access to Windows 7 any other way, this is a steal and I couldn't imagine passing it up, which is why I shared it.

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:51 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
SecretMaster wrote:

RTFT.

I did RTFT. Nowhere in this thread was my question answered, which is why I posted it :roll:

So I'll state it again. This deal sounds very much like what Cyril and every other news site linked back to a few weeks ago here.
http://techreport.com/discussions.x/17606

The amount you said you paid for this student discout is exactly the same as this price discount that everyone linked to. Except that the discount mentioned a few weeks ago had a huge caveat, the $29.99 was for upgrade media only and thus useless for many individuals looking to use it for new builds. I even started a thread about this on this particular forum. It has been extremely misleading for a lot of people.

So instead of not being helpful and telling me to "RTFA", can you explicitly tell me whether or not what you are getting is the actual full retail version.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:55 pm

SecretMaster wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:
SecretMaster wrote:

RTFT.

I did RTFT. Nowhere in this thread was my question answered, which is why I posted it :roll:

So I'll state it again. This deal sounds very much like what Cyril and every other news site linked back to a few weeks ago here.
http://techreport.com/discussions.x/17606

The amount you said you paid for this student discout is exactly the same as this price discount that everyone linked to. Except that the discount mentioned a few weeks ago had a huge caveat, the $29.99 was for upgrade media only and thus useless for many individuals looking to use it for new builds. I even started a thread about this on this particular forum. It has been extremely misleading for a lot of people.

So instead of not being helpful and telling me to "RTFA", can you explicitly tell me whether or not what you are getting is the actual full retail version.

I really wasn't trying to be rude, I was just being terse because I was on my way out the door. The thread title says, 'FULL VERSION,' and in the OP I quoted the email that I recieved from MS, which clearly notes 'Windows Professional Full.' I don't know any of other way to explain that you're ordering the full version, and that you have to call in order to get it; I have the 'Upgrade' thing that TR linked activated as well, but as you said above, I didn't use it because I don't believe in upgrades, and prefer clean installs whenever and wherever possible. Maybe I'll post a picture when I get it, but I'm going way out of town Sunday and may not be home to recieve it.

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:27 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
I really wasn't trying to be rude, I was just being terse because I was on my way out the door. The thread title says, 'FULL VERSION,' and in the OP I quoted the email that I recieved from MS, which clearly notes 'Windows Professional Full.' I don't know any of other way to explain that you're ordering the full version, and that you have to call in order to get it; I have the 'Upgrade' thing that TR linked activated as well, but as you said above, I didn't use it because I don't believe in upgrades, and prefer clean installs whenever and wherever possible. Maybe I'll post a picture when I get it, but I'm going way out of town Sunday and may not be home to recieve it.

My apologies as well. I'm a tad cranky and irrate today. Thanks for the clarification. I just keep having this nagging worry of ordering something and turning it out I can't use it. These discounts would save me a buttload of money on two new builds (as they would with everyone), so I've been keen to make sure that there aren't any caveats.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:07 pm

SecretMaster wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:

My apologies as well. I'm a tad cranky and irrate today. Thanks for the clarification. I just keep having this nagging worry of ordering something and turning it out I can't use it. These discounts would save me a buttload of money on two new builds (as they would with everyone), so I've been keen to make sure that there aren't any caveats.

No worries, I understand :).

Dav27
Gerbil

Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:07 am

Any one on the otherside of the pond see if Microsoft over in the US are aware of this offer for us here in the UK to gain the full liscence version. I have contacted Micosoft UK but the women i spoke to was not helpful and would not stray from the stance of "go online.......upgrade version only on student offer."

Cheers.

SpartanCaptain
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:07 am

My order says its delayed

BKA
Gerbil XP

Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:28 am

This is available online also.

http://windows7.digitalriver.com/store/ ... ayHomePage

Just have to have your .edu email address. I got my download link just after midnight.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:30 am

SpartanCaptain wrote:
My order says its delayed

Mine too:
Microsoft Store wrote:
Purchase History
Order Date: 10/20/2009 12:59 PM PST
Order Status: Delayed
Order #: XXXXXXX
Order Total: $37.86
View Order Confirmation
Items:
Windows 7 Professional Full
Media: DVD
Product Note: Add a Note
Return

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:32 am

BKA wrote:

Just have to have your .edu email address. I got my download link just after midnight.

If you can get the FULL version through the site, that would be awesome (!!!), but as far as I can tell you can only get the full version by calling the number. The website would be much easier for all of us, if there is a way to do it!

SpartanCaptain
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:36 am

I wonder what the delay is for. My card was charged this morning I saw that. And I paid for next day delievery so I would be pretty upset if it didn't ship.

BKA
Gerbil XP

Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:01 am

Airmantharp wrote:
BKA wrote:

If you can get the FULL version through the site, that would be awesome (!!!), but as far as I can tell you can only get the full version by calling the number. The website would be much easier for all of us, if there is a way to do it!

I'm not sure if its the upgrade or full. I downloaded the files and of course its only the setup files not an ISO. So what I did was extract the boot file from my Windows 7 Ent x64 DVD and copied it to the Windows 7 Pro x64 ISO I made from the install files I downloaded(if that makes any sense). Burned a bootable DVD.

So right now I'm doing a test install on a box with blank hard drive and so far its going along and not asking for any previous version of Windows. I'll update once the install is done.

EDIT: Yup, went through without a hitch, skipped past the product key screen and its up and running.