Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

mike941
Gerbil
Topic Author

new hardware problem

Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:47 am

I added some RAM to my comp and at first windows vista ultimate 64 -bit BSODed like 3 times and from time to time the safe mode option said to insert my installation dvd and select repair my PC if i had installed new hardware to get it to recognize the new hardware. So i did that and i never saw a repair my hardware option and instead clicked on upgrade then realized i didn't want to do that and cancelled before any damage could have been done.

So usually the comp BSODed while windows was booting but this is like my 5th or 6th boot and now it feels like it's running fine and when i click on properties in my computer it shows the new RAM.

So i'm wondering since the ram is recognized by windows do i still have to worry about trying to repair my computer with the windows install cd? And if in the future i upgrade to windows 7 will it upgrade with an OEM copy like this Vista ultimate OEM tried to do?

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Re: new hardware problem

Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:43 pm

Are the new RAM the same size, brand and model number as the old ones? Did you run something like memtest to confirm some stability before firing up Windows? It may not be a Windows problem at all.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.