Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

DairyCreamer
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Didn't Label / I'm Dumb

Sun May 08, 2011 12:01 pm

So, just built two systems here, both Win 7 x64 HP OEM.

I forgot to label which sticker was for which computer. Not that I'll need to re-install anytime soon, but yah, how can I verify which CD I used for which computer now?

The CD's are in their jewel cases associated with the right product keys, no doubt about that... I just mixed up the two cases, so I don't know which product key belongs to which box.

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Didn't Label / I'm Dumb

Sun May 08, 2011 12:03 pm

Isn't there some sort of borderline-legal program that you can run to find your computer's activation key? Or even snooping in "My Computer" to get a license number? (Sorry for the vagueness, I haven't run Windows in a long time)
Krogoth wrote:
Care to enlightenment me?

bdwilcox
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun May 08, 2011 12:21 pm

The free Magical Jelly Bean Key Finder will find that for you. I use it all the time. Windows' Serial Number is stored in the registry in an encrypted form. The Jelly Bean tool simply decrypts it. Nothing illegal about it, not even border-line illegal.
Last edited by bdwilcox on Sun May 08, 2011 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sun May 08, 2011 12:21 pm

There's nothing semi about it; there are a variety of legal "information" programs for consumers (and plenty of enterprise "fleet management" tools for businesses) that will extract that information. (Using that information to then make and distribute copies would be illegal, but that's another kettle of fish entirely). Two that I have on my USB key:
  • keyfinder (less useful now that they're charging for this functionality for Win7)
  • SIW.exe (under "Software" look for "Secrets") which finds all sorts of useful info
There are others, and maybe those solutions are getting dated (the latest versions of everything seem to no longer be free); I'm sure other folks here will chime in with their favorites.

bdwilcox
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun May 08, 2011 12:23 pm

The free Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder pulls Windows 7's serial, no problem. I just downloaded the latest version and ran it on my Win 7 box and it pulled it right up.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sun May 08, 2011 12:44 pm

bdwilcox wrote:
The free Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder pulls Windows 7's serial, no problem. I just downloaded the latest version and ran it on my Win 7 box and it pulled it right up.
Ah, good to know. I haven't actually had a need to try it on a Win7 box (yet) so I was just going by what was on that page at their site.

lonleyppl
Gerbil XP

Sun May 08, 2011 3:13 pm

Control Panel ->System and Security -> System.
Look at the bottom where it says "Windows activation." Two lines below that it lists the product ID. That's what you want, right?
Lenovo W520
IBM dx340
Nokia Lumia 928
Sony a7 with far too many lenses to list or even count