Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

network backup in Win 7 HP

Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:46 pm

I've never set up windows backups before (I know, I know) and my friend wants me to set up a backup server for him - I have a AM3 setup and sempron that I'll be appropriating for this, and throwing Linux on there because windows licenses are expensive

The problem is he uses Home Premium which for some phenominally stupid reason doesn't support network backups. What I'm thinking is have Windows backup utility do its backup to disk (weekly, monthly, whatever), then having a scheduled task robocopy it to the server - I can write a script that will prune all old backups on the linux box.

Is there a better / easier / more elegant way to do this? Or potentially a free backup solution that allows me to use the network?
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
Ryzen 9 5900X | 2070 Super | 32 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB+MX500 500GB+660P 1TB
Sempron [email protected] | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 12

RonaRosen
Gerbil In Training

Re: network backup in Win 7 HP

Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:52 am

The problem is he uses Home Premium which for some phenomenally stupid reason doesn't support network backups

Agree with that!

I've had a similar issue and I found this workaround which looks pretty easy and elegant. I haven't tried it it but will be happy to report back when I do.
You basically create a virtual hard disk drive on the network drive by going to Computer -> Manage ->Disk Management. Now you need to create VHD by browsing to Network share\folder\mapped drive and following the prompts to set up the vhd as a simple volume and assign it a drive letter. Next- initialize the drive.
You will be prompted if you want to open to view files, speed up windows using readyboost, or Use this Drive to Back Up Windows - choose the last option and then Windows Backup starts.
Hope this works :)
Rona
I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them
Isaac Asimov

EV42TMAN
Gerbil

Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:58 am

if there is a little bit of a budget on this build I'd recommend going with windows home server 2011 its $50 for the software and does automatic backups over the network. Plus it gives you a platform for centralized anti virus, file sharing, media streaming and secure remote web access. Its a great product for $50
MCP MCDST MCSA MCTS MCITP
A+ Net+
Intel Core i7-950 Intel DX58SO Mobo 6GB Corsair XMS3 Tri-Channel BFG Geforce 260 GTX
2x 160GB Seagate HDs RAID 0 2x 500GB WD RE3 HDs RAID 0
Built 40K+ systems and still counting

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:06 am

EV42TMAN wrote:
if there is a little bit of a budget on this build I'd recommend going with windows home server 2011 its $50 for the software and does automatic backups over the network. Plus it gives you a platform for centralized anti virus, file sharing, media streaming and secure remote web access. Its a great product for $50

But plan on additional hardware/software for some sort of RAID/pseudo-RAID if you do, since WHS2011 no longer provides that. I had to pay 50$ to get FlexRAID, but I'm happier with that because it's multi-OS. Right now I have it running under Windows Server 2008 R2, but I plan to switch that server out with Linux as soon as I have time.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:08 am

I like your current proposal. KISS.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:19 am

Pika's initial plan has maximum flexibility/growth.

Ronarosen's plan has the smallest number of moving parts/ most likely to work without adjustment/tinkering.

Ryhadar
Gerbil XP

Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:33 am

Forge wrote:
EV42TMAN wrote:

But plan on additional hardware/software for some sort of RAID/pseudo-RAID if you do, since WHS2011 no longer provides that. I had to pay 50$ to get FlexRAID, but I'm happier with that because it's multi-OS. Right now I have it running under Windows Server 2008 R2, but I plan to switch that server out with Linux as soon as I have time.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but did you try dynamic volumes? Performance is actually pretty decent, even though it is purely software-pseduo-RAID.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:10 pm

Ryhadar wrote:
Forge wrote:
EV42TMAN wrote:

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but did you try dynamic volumes? Performance is actually pretty decent, even though it is purely software-pseduo-RAID.

Good point, I hadn't. I've had some bad experiences in the past, attempting to recover degraded Windows RAID5 volumes. I went with FlexRAID because degraded array recovery has worked very well there. It looks like WHS 2011, being a closer relative to SBS2011 than WHS v1 was, has a fully functional Windows software RAID subsystem. For my purposes, having easier drive recovery was more important than 50$, but YMMV.