Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

bjm
Gerbil
Topic Author

Classic Shell + Windows 8

Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:25 am

I originally posted this in the "Windows 8 RTM allegedly leaked already" news item comments, since that really sparked the availability of the final version of Windows 8. I know lots of folks want to skip the Start Screen, and it can be done.

With that said, since Windows 8 is now here (unofficially, at least), it might be a good time to throw a plug out to the good guys at: http://classicshell.sourceforge.net For those not familiar with it, it was originally created to bring back the hierarchical Start menu -- long before Windows 8.

The full screen replacement of the Start Menu has no doubt been one of the more controversial aspects of Windows 8. ClassicShell's implementation of the Start Menu is really clean and not hacky at all. By default, it captures the keyboard's Start key and opens the menu (You can choose the XP's Classic style, Luna, Vista's, or even their own custom Metro skin) while leaving Shift-Start to be used to call the Start Screen. And even better, they implemented a search box so you don't lose that capability either.

There's an option as well to boot automatically into the desktop. You'll still see the start screen upon boot, but it really just becomes a splash screen at that point. Since the Start key's behavior is captured to the menu as well as the bottom left's Start Screen activation disabled, you don't ever have to see the Start Screen if you don't want to.

Thought I'd share!

Madman
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Classic Shell + Windows 8

Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:52 am

It's way too late for that. I've already migrated to Linux Mint, and I'm starting to like it a lot.

And there is a spare Windows 7 partition for anything that doesn't work on Linux yet, I haven't touched it for more than a month already. Why bother? :wink:
Core 2 Duo E6300, MSI P45 NEO-F, Club 3D GTX 260, 4Gb DDR2-800Mhz, Audigy X-Fi Fatal1ty Champ1on ed., 0.5Tb+1Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.12, 630W AXP, Samsung SyncMaster BX2450, ViewSonic VP171b

lilbuddhaman
Gerbil First Class

Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:50 pm

You may have just earned MS another sale. Looks simple, looks great.
I am jaded. I am cynical.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:25 pm

I don't hate Windows 8 with a fiery passion when this is installed. Needs work and I won't put this (or Win8) on a client machine, but should the need arise I'll surely use it.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:36 pm

Thanks for the link, I will try it as soon as I'll get my hands on official Win8 from an official source. There's also alternative from StarDock: http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/ but it doesn't look as nice as this version.

Madman wrote:
It's way too late for that. I've already migrated to Linux Mint, and I'm starting to like it a lot. And there is a spare Windows 7 partition for anything that doesn't work on Linux yet, I haven't touched it for more than a month already. Why bother? :wink:

Good for you. Nobody really cares where you're migrating or about your irrational fear of "evil DRMs" in games :roll:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Madman

Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:19 pm

JohnC wrote:
Madman wrote:
It's way too late for that. I've already migrated to Linux Mint, and I'm starting to like it a lot. And there is a spare Windows 7 partition for anything that doesn't work on Linux yet, I haven't touched it for more than a month already. Why bother? :wink:

Good for you. Nobody really cares where you're migrating or about your irrational fear of "evil DRMs" in games :roll:

It's called freedom, you either want one, or not :wink:
Core 2 Duo E6300, MSI P45 NEO-F, Club 3D GTX 260, 4Gb DDR2-800Mhz, Audigy X-Fi Fatal1ty Champ1on ed., 0.5Tb+1Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.12, 630W AXP, Samsung SyncMaster BX2450, ViewSonic VP171b

bjm
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:47 pm

Madman wrote:
Why bother? :wink:

It's simple really, because someone might simply prefer running a Windows OS. And even if they might like Windows 7, they want the other improvements Windows 8 brings minus the Start Screen. Or, like in my case, they may even like the Start Screen but still want to retain the Start Menu features for the cases when they are in desktop mode.

Having said that, if you're running the latest version of Linux Mint right now, then are you essentially running the Linux-equivalent of this Classic Shell. Both Cinnamon and MATE are the product of GNOME's community rejected 3.0 re-design. Similarly, Classic Shell is the product of Microsoft's community rejected Vista/7 Start menu and Windows 8's Start Screen.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:41 pm

Madman wrote:
JohnC wrote:
Madman wrote:

It's called freedom, you either want one, or not :wink:

THEY CAHN TAKE OUR STAHT MENU... BUT THEY CANNOH' TAKE OUR FREEEDOMMMM!!!

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:56 pm

bjm wrote:
rejected Vista/7 Start menu and Windows 8's Start Screen.

I actually like the Win7 start menu and I'm disappointed that Classic Shell doesn't seem to have a way to emulate it more closely.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

bjm
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:05 pm

bthylafh wrote:
I actually like the Win7 start menu and I'm disappointed that Classic Shell doesn't seem to have a way to emulate it more closely.

Indeed, I really liked the Windows 7 Start menu as well. I never used the Classic Shell with Windows 7 much, only played with it and was pleasantly surprised to find out it worked in 8. But I'd hope with the release of Windows 8, more users will request that functionality. The search functionality was recently added to it. After all, Windows 7 start menu has now become a "classic".

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:44 pm

The Win7 Start Menu was rather nicely functional in the initial page that showed up. Admittedly, it was more deficient when you opened up All Programs but it still wasn't completely terrible.

I had hoped that it would've been refined further in Windows 8 but losing it entirely is painful. I'll be checking this out but it would be nice to get the dual column Start from Win7.

xpclient
Gerbil In Training

Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:22 am

Just to let you guys know, there is a Classic Shell skin + settings pack that makes it function like the Windows 7 Start Menu. Get it here: http://www.askvg.com/download-classic-s ... windows-8/ . Here's how it can look:

Image .

You can use search to type and launch or utilize full screen to view All Programs without scrolling. If flyout menus aren't your style, you can set them to open only by mouse click instead of mouse hover by increasing the "Menu Delay" value so it behaves like the 7 Menu even more. Totally customizable. I am the tester for Classic Shell. Ivo and I started it in 2009 when MS removed the real Classic Start Menu but over time it has matured to add a search box and become a hybrid Start Menu. Crossed 1 million downloads this April and growing in popularity. :)

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:13 am

Cheers! Now I can switch my work PC to Win8 when it's out (we'll be getting volume licensing regardless) and not suffer, though I'll still miss Aero Glass. Thanks for all the work.
Hakkaa päälle!

bjm
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:49 am

xpclient wrote:
I am the tester for Classic Shell. Ivo and I started it in 2009 when MS removed the real Classic Start Menu but over time it has matured to add a search box and become a hybrid Start Menu. Crossed 1 million downloads this April and growing in popularity. :)

That is awesome. You guys rock, thanks! (And you guys rock even more, now that I know you read Tech Report!)

Wirko
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:04 pm

Guys, this is just great! And there's a skinning tutorial too!

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:22 pm

Ooh, very nice. Thanks for the information.

ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm

Yes - what are service for so many of us. Thanks.

Does the MS announcement that they will try to undo such programs make any difference (or do you know yet?)

rahulahl
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:02 am

Dont worry.
I used the Windows 8 Enterprise N Leak in VMWare and it works pretty well with Classic Shell.
The best thing is, you can customize this really well. It boots directly to desktop as well.
I used it with an application I found on PCBeta that kills Metro completely, so that not even moving the mouse in the corner will do anything. I am now waiting and ready to install Windows 8 when it comes out. Without these 2 things, I wouldn't even bother installing it.
Intel i7 4790K
MAXIMUS VII RANGER motherboard
EVGA GTX 1080
16GB Ram
550Watt Seasonic PSU
Asus Rog Swift PG278Q
Windows 10

AbRASiON

Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:09 am

Actually one of classic shells primary focus was getting back the drive free space information in the bottom status bar in explorer. I've donated to them - really fixes up the stupid crap in Win7 explorer, back to usable.

I do however like the new Win7 start menu, I stick with that.

End User

Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:22 am

JohnC wrote:
Madman wrote:

I do. Thumbs up Madman! :D

xpclient
Gerbil In Training

Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:44 pm

It works in RTM no issues. If MS blocks it, I will complain to US DoJ and EU for anti-competitive practices LOL. :lol:
Last edited by xpclient on Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:33 pm

xpclient wrote:
It works in RTM no issues. If MS blocks it, I will complain to FBI and EU for anti-competitive practices LOL. :lol:

It is DoJ not FBI.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

xpclient
Gerbil In Training

Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:06 am

I meant DoJ of course. You're right. I meant that. Thanks. LOL