Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Windows 8 is selling well

Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:31 pm

Link

There have been conflicting rumors for a while now, but as time passes Microsoft is willing to share actual sales numbers. Turns out the new OS is doing well in sales.

Peter Bright/Arstechnica wrote:
With Windows 8 selling 40 million copies in five weeks, it seems to be selling at about the same pace as Windows 7. Considering the different market dynamics—Windows 7 was an iterative release that fulfilled substantial pent-up demand as businesses chose to ignore Windows Vista whereas Windows 8 is a more controversial update being brought to a market that is generally happy with Windows 7 anyway—this is a healthy performance. Windows 7 sold very well and matching it is no mean feat. The apparent failure to surpass Windows 7's launch could explain the mixed reports on early sales. Strong sales can still be disappointing if they were expected to be stronger still.

I don't expect Windows 8 to be adopted by businesses (albeit not for the same reasons most people here tout), but I do expect that Windows 8 will be popular with the non-enthusiast PC user. Even some enthusiasts will eventually be won over. I'm pretty pleased with the OS on the whole.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Re: Windows 8 is selling well

Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:41 pm

This sounds about right, based on the buzz. IMO what will be more revealing, though, is the sales numbers in January and February, after we get past the holiday shopping and Microsoft's unusually aggressive launch-period discounting.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:46 pm

Sales may also die down because businesses made the big jump from XP to 7, and there is less need to jump to 8. I'll still be interested in seeing how things turn out, but I don't expect 8 to keep pace with 7 for that reason.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

sschaem
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:58 pm

Those sales are OEM licenses.

Example Acer, Lenovo, etc.. doesn't buy a license at the time someone buys a laptop, they buy them by the million. And at huge discounts.

Out of that 40 million ,at most, 20% are activated. The rest are just sitting in OEM database, ready to be printed on stickers.

The real numbers are seen from net usage. Windows8 is actually abysmal, even so it was almost given away. 15$ for the longest time and now 25$.

So dont let the numbers fool you....