Personal computing discussed

Moderators: SecretSquirrel, notfred

cphite
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Silly linux question

Wed May 25, 2016 1:27 pm

Okay I am still kind of a n00b with Linux so maybe this is a silly question...

I am running Kubuntu 14.04 on my laptop. Recently I decided I would check out Debian MATE. So I created a live USB and booted from that; it seemed to work as they normally do. Decided against doing the install.

Now, when I boot into Kubuntu instead of seeing the normal KDE startup animation (where it shows those five icons one after the other against the blurry background) I am seeing the Debian screen animation (same five icons but the background is that Debian spiral thing) but it's still booting into Kubuntu. I suspect this is no big deal - some file got replaced - but my question is how? I didn't install anything. Everything in Kubuntu seems to be working normally - is there anything I should check?

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Re: Silly linux question

Wed May 25, 2016 2:44 pm

Not a silly question at all. Sounds like a bug in Debian MATE. Booting a Live CD should not alter the installed OS image.
If the world isn't making sense to you, you're either drinking too much or not drinking enough.

chuckula
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed May 25, 2016 2:51 pm

Something wonky happened since your regular drive should presumably not have been changed at all... but there's no ironclad guarantee that the USB OS didn't make some inadvertent change to your regular drive.

To fix it, I would go into System Settings --> Workspace Theme --> Splash Screen and select the appropriate splashscreen.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; GTX-1080; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

cphite
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed May 25, 2016 4:34 pm

Cool, thanks :D

cphite
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:37 am

Completely unrelated but seems to fit the thread... has anyone else noticed Chrome becoming much less responsive since the last update? I am still running Kubuntu 14.04 64-bit (not sure how much difference that makes) and ever since Chrome updated to version 51.x I'm seeing a lot of delays in various functionality. For example, if I click on the "other bookmarks" button it's often taking several seconds to open, or when navigating the tools menu it's occasionally lagging when trying to open various sub-menus.

And if so, any ideas on how to resolve?

It's always been pretty snappy in the past.

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:49 am

cphite wrote:
Completely unrelated but seems to fit the thread... has anyone else noticed Chrome becoming much less responsive since the last update? I am still running Kubuntu 14.04 64-bit (not sure how much difference that makes) and ever since Chrome updated to version 51.x I'm seeing a lot of delays in various functionality. For example, if I click on the "other bookmarks" button it's often taking several seconds to open, or when navigating the tools menu it's occasionally lagging when trying to open various sub-menus.

And if so, any ideas on how to resolve?

It's always been pretty snappy in the past.

More of a workaround but have you tried Chromium?
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:50 am

I haven't noticed anything like that with chrome but it has been causing other problems for me... quite often it refuses to exit gracefully when I shut the computer down which is extremely annoying as means a shutdown now takes about 90 seconds (IIRC that's how long systemd on ubuntu give a process to exit before killing it.) Doesn't do it every time and so long as I remember to close all my chrome windows first I don't have to worry.
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:08 pm

Do you have any extensions enabled? Some adblockers were causing slow downs with Chrome and disabling them returned it to its usual speed.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:21 pm

Noticed some problems with the latest update on an older laptop. Very laggy, and high CPU usage. Rolled it back to an older version and the problems went away. Maybe I'll let it update again in a few weeks and see if the problems are still there. (No extensions in my case, just plain vanilla Chrome on Ubuntu 14.04.)

Also, anything post-49.x does not work on older versions of Ubuntu (e.g. 12.04). I had to roll Chrome on my 12.04 box back as well, and disable Chrome updates.

They seem to have broken a bunch of stuff with recent Linux versions of Chrome...
If the world isn't making sense to you, you're either drinking too much or not drinking enough.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:33 am

cheesyking wrote:
I haven't noticed anything like that with chrome but it has been causing other problems for me... quite often it refuses to exit gracefully when I shut the computer down which is extremely annoying as means a shutdown now takes about 90 seconds (IIRC that's how long systemd on ubuntu give a process to exit before killing it.) Doesn't do it every time and so long as I remember to close all my chrome windows first I don't have to worry.

Ah the joys of just killing X to go somewhere. I could not live without AltCtrlBackspace myself. Boom it's gone, and my command line understands R means reboot and H means stop. Yeah I'm crazy, been root for decades. The user in /home is just to make Chrome run. ;)
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:49 am

PenGun wrote:
Ah the joys of just killing X to go somewhere. I could not live without AltCtrlBackspace myself. Boom it's gone,

...along with any unsaved work. :roll:

PenGun wrote:
and my command line understands R means reboot and H means stop. Yeah I'm crazy, been root for decades. The user in /home is just to make Chrome run. ;)

"You're doing it wrong!" :lol:

Applications which prevent proper shutdown or suspend are a pet peeve. On a related note, I think I have just identified why my laptop sometimes does not suspend properly when I close the lid -- it has something to do with having a copy of Windows running in a VM. So it is likely VirtualBox being stupid.

cphite
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:31 am

Still mostly a n00b with this Linux stuff, so I have another question that'll probably make most of you roll your eyes, but whatever.. :)

So... I have an oldish Dell desktop that I decided to use in my workout room... Basically just something to watch DVDs, YouTube, or listen to music, etc.

I installed Mint 18 and everything seemed to be fine, machine has been running for a few weeks now. Last night I got a bunch of updates including the kernel so I did those, and everything still seemed fine - and then I rebooted, er rather tried to reboot.

I get past the disk encryption password, it starts booting up and then right before it gets to the login screen, it crashes and I get a page of text that ends with "Kernel Panic" and something about the kernel being out of sync. My best guess is that something about the new kernel just isn't playing nice with my 10 year old hardware.

So how do I go about rolling back? I've rolled back on systems where I can at least boot up, but in this case I can't even get logged into it...

Vhalidictes
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:34 am

cphite wrote:
Still mostly a n00b with this Linux stuff, so I have another question that'll probably make most of you roll your eyes, but whatever.. :)

So... I have an oldish Dell desktop that I decided to use in my workout room... Basically just something to watch DVDs, YouTube, or listen to music, etc.

I installed Mint 18 and everything seemed to be fine, machine has been running for a few weeks now. Last night I got a bunch of updates including the kernel so I did those, and everything still seemed fine - and then I rebooted, er rather tried to reboot.

I get past the disk encryption password, it starts booting up and then right before it gets to the login screen, it crashes and I get a page of text that ends with "Kernel Panic" and something about the kernel being out of sync. My best guess is that something about the new kernel just isn't playing nice with my 10 year old hardware.

So how do I go about rolling back? I've rolled back on systems where I can at least boot up, but in this case I can't even get logged into it...

There's a ton of things you could try, but I'd just load up a live-CD of Mint from a USB thumbdrive and troubleshoot from there. Worst case you could reinstall the old (or new) version from scratch.

Even if nothing works you can use the USB booted image to recover any files you want off it.

Historically, I've had a number of weird issues with upgrading Mint, my go-to process for major version changes is to reinstall. Supposedly on modern hardware that hasn't been an issue for a few years, but IIRC it's still no recommended to perform any major upgrades with that distro.

EDIT: isn't GRUB supposed to be able to give you a choice of kernels when you boot?

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:51 pm

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that maybe you've got an NVidia GPU? (If not, then my apologies for the sidetrack.)

A simple kernel update from the repo shouldn't cause stuff like this, but I've seen it happen with NVidia cards.

Assuming it's NVidia... if you can get a GRUB menu (try holding down the Shift key during boot) and boot from the previous kernel (or at least boot in framebuffer mode) you ought to be able to uninstall the NVidia driver. Then boot into the new kernel and reinstall the driver.

Yes, GPU drivers can still be a bit of a clusterf**k unless you have an Intel GPU... :roll: