Personal computing discussed

Moderators: SecretSquirrel, notfred

DancinJack
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Linux for College Students

Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:48 am

I know literally no one that uses the Git GUI. No one. I've never even seen it.

When I was in college, we just did everything from the CLI. It's just how you worked in LInux. Like JBI said, there are a lot of advantages. Learn it, love it. CLI for life.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

vishalsuvagia
Gerbil In Training

Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:04 am

Redocbew wrote:
There's a graphical git client for Windows also. It kind of sucks, and you can tell that portions of it were ported from Linux if you know what to look for, but it works ok for simple usage. Once you start doing merges and other more administrative tasks, then yeah, you're probably better off dropping back to the command line anyway.

If you have not used tortoise-git (https://tortoisegit.org) for Windows, try using it, any time better than the default GUI git client provided in git.
This is my TR sign.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:31 pm

I don't use the GUI either, and I wouldn't recommend it for anything but the most basic commit and push/pull usage. If someone wants to forgo the GUI and use the command line instead I'd definitely recommend it regardless of their level of experience, but that's local to their machine. The rules are a bit different there compared to a live web server. :P
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.