Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

cass
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

freeBSD and SSE question

Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:38 pm

OK, got folding@home running from fbsd 4.8. I have tried the linux, linuxB, and 3.25 Beta A client. The Linux B client will not start at all. The other two do fine, but will onlyl run 3D now.

Using ./FAH3Console-*.exe -advmethods -forceasm -freeBSD to start the clients.

Hardware is a MSI Kt3 ultra, 256MB pc2700, AMD 1900+ Palomino not OC'd. Nvidia gf2 mx200, Realtec 8139 lan.

This board does have an Award Oem non updateable (that I have found yet) Bios. This Bios will not recognize thorougbreds. I guess it is possible that the bios has SSE locked out?

Is anybody getting SSE with Linux/Bsd? I read that the 3.25B client will be out soon, but if the LinuxB client won't run, I think the BetaB won't run Either.

I also cannot get freeBSB 4.8 to work on a Nforce Crush 11 board (MSI 6367). The screen corrupts with martian love letters and locks as soon as the install starts.

If anyone here has freebsd installed on a Nforce 1.0 board I would like to know what worked.

slymaster
Gerbil XP

Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:57 am

The 'B' version of the client is not necessary for SSE. The 'B' version was introduced because the folding client became incompatible with newer versions of glibc that were shipping with the newer Linux distros. I have used the 'B' version on Suse 8.2 and RH8, but could not get either the 'A' or 'B' version to work on Redhat 9 - apparently this can be fixed by upgrading just the glibc to a beta version. I gave up and went back to RH8 for that particular folding box.

The 3.25A should actually be better overall than the 3.24B. The 3.24 (a and b) will only use SSE (I think this may only apply to AMD procs but I am not sure) for the first WU after the client is started, where 3.25 will keep it on permanently (use the -forceasm flag).

I have a dual processor box running the 3.24 B client (RH8), and I get around the above limitation by running a script to check for a completed work unit - if a new WU is being started, the client will be stopped and restarted, thus giving the same benefit as using the 3.25 client. I will be happy once the 3.25B client comes out, as that will make things simpler.

Once again, make sure you use the -forceasm flag in your startup.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:18 am

hmmmm i have the same probs but i posted my HELP thread in the
folding forum here... i mean these posts fit into dual categories.. but
i think this should belong in the folding forum.. this linux section is mostly
for all things linux hardcore... but since u mentioned and your thread is
mainly based off of the folding client - it's deemed a folding topic.
––•–√\/––√\/––•–– nostalgia is an emotion for people with no future ––•–√\/––√\/––•–-

cass
Topic Author

Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:34 pm

Yeah, I probably should have made 2 posts out of it... one on the noforce problem here and one on the SSE thing in dist computing. If the mods want to move it, I don't care....

I think I am going to try another *nix or BSD version on the nforce.... any suggestions?

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:15 pm

FreeBSD's linux compatability doesn't come with the newer glibc that the B client uses.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:18 pm

mattsteg wrote:
FreeBSD's linux compatability doesn't come with the newer glibc that the B client uses.

i download the other one as well, so i'm not running the B version.
––•–√\/––√\/––•–– nostalgia is an emotion for people with no future ––•–√\/––√\/––•–-

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:27 pm

thegleek wrote:
mattsteg wrote:

i download the other one as well, so i'm not running the B version.
Then you're not having the same problem, are you? Go back to your own thread.

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:21 pm

Hit search. There is already a long-running thread with great info on running f@h on FreeBSD.

cass
Topic Author

Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:20 pm

Which thread Buub?

I have f@h running.... I just cannot find where anybody has ever gotten BSD running on an Nforce 1.0 220 chipset. Then, does anybody running BSD have SSE optimizations working with an AMD proc?

Searching the whole forums here returns 39 topics with "bsd" the longest running of which is about the G5 - 52 replies.

Searching http://forum.folding-community.org/ with "bsd" nets 15 results.

Nforcershq does turn up 39 threads....

Well, its time to try some version of linux anyway.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:05 am

cass wrote:
Searching http://forum.folding-community.org/ with "bsd" nets 15 results.

lol and most of those are my own threads/posts! :-?

cass
Topic Author

Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:05 pm

Got SSE enabled by configuring and installing new kernel with

options CPU_SSE_ENABLE

now if I can figure out how to update source tree with cvsup ....

yarbo
Gerbil Elite

Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:38 pm

copy one of the supfiles from /usr/share/examples/cvsup, then follow the instructions in the comments of the file.
<a href=http://www.gentoo.org>Gentoo GNU/Linux</a>

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:38 pm

cass wrote:
Got SSE enabled by configuring and installing new kernel with

options CPU_SSE_ENABLE

now if I can figure out how to update source tree with cvsup ....

pkg_add -r cvsup

edit /usr/share/examples/cvsup/standard-supfile (all you need to do is change the host=line.  Change CHANGE_this to cvs#, where # is some number 1-something)

cvsup standard-supfile

should update your sources, then just go through the build process, which the handbook does a far better job of explaining than I ever could.

cass
Topic Author

Sun Oct 05, 2003 12:56 am

Thanks for the replies

My snap cvsup comment comes out of frustration of having some kind of bad install that would not let me make a kernel or buildworld which meant I spent 36 hours downloading updated sources on a 2mb connection only to find I could not do a build world... nooding around I killed the thing and reinstalled.

This go round, I have been able to make and install a custon kernel, and gnome2. so I think maybe my build world after cvsup will work this time.

I am using the cvsup cheat sheet from bsdvault.net combined with the handbook from bsd.org.

Now, I have to get the java jdk installed so mozilla will shut up about its missing lib.

Nothing like a little fun on saturday night :-)