Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

LJ
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Gnome 2.4

Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:31 pm

I've been running Gnome 2.4 for several days now. I actually only emerged it to take a quick look at it and see what it was all about (and since it takes no effort to emerge new software like gnome anyhow). How does the new gnome look and work? Well, it's good. Very good. In fact, I'm most likely going to switch from KDE to gnome on a permanent basis.

speed: In the past, speed was the primary reason I avoided gnome. The main offender was how slowly it would redraw windows when I switched desktops (it would probably take it 1/2 a second to fill in windows). Gnome definitely surrendered a lot of speed to KDE. Furtunately for Gnome users, this changed. Gnome 2.4 is very fast--i don't notice the irritating redraw problem than I did before (or it simply isn't slow enough to irritate me) when I switch desktops. Things launch faster and the default applications give you speed where it counts.

browser: Gnome never had a default browser that I liked and I dislike mozilla because it's just too big and clunky. Epiphany, on the other hand, is nearly perfect. It's based off of the same gecko engine that mozilla is but it's very simplified and very stripped down. After spending a lot of time with KDE and knowing that there are millions of options and that I could change all of them I've always felt that I *need* to change the options and customize everything for myself. Why? I actually prefer not to have the option. This browser renders everything very quickly and has fewer bugs than Konqueror (although it loads slower initially).

File manager: Gnome's new file manager is, yet again, the most improved application in the Gnome desktop. While room for improvement always exists, it's no longer the application most in need of improvement (or, it doesn't blatently need fixing). It's fast and responsive, easy to use, and feels very solid. It's definately better than the file managing konqueror.

Bugs: So far the only serious bug i've encountered is due to metacity (the gnome window manager). It seems to crash and burn whenever you run gmplayer. I don't know if this is common, however, so I just use xine.

Conclusion: even if you don't like gnome and never did, gnome 2.4 definately deserves your time. I can now see the appeal. As my old roommate once put it, "if kde is paper than gnome is wet clay"--only, it's no longer that slow =)

element
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:59 am

Yeah, I apt-get Gnome 2.4 yesterday. It's very good. But then again, I'm probably biased, I have been using Gnome since 1.4/2.0 :)
I tried KDE briefly.

I like the less is more approach of Gnome. KDE seems too complicated and I also prefer the looks of Gnome to the one of KDE. I know you can theme but still.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image." -- Stephen Hawking

yarbo
Gerbil Elite

Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:46 am

I've been trying it out, I like it a lot better.

differences: might be faster, I was using PWM and XFce4 since GNOME 2.2 so I might have forgotten. The panels now have little grab bars. The home icon isn't removable (afaik). The run dialog now tries autocompleting (very nice touch).

however, Epiphany sucks. I can understand getting rid of some options, but removing the ad blocking features? without those features, the internet was unbearable.

I prefer the look of GTK2 based applications over qt based apps, and I like the speed of GNOME. I just have to decide between a less customizable but faster XFce4 and a more customizable but slower GNOME.
<a href=http://www.gentoo.org>Gentoo GNU/Linux</a>

b3n113

Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:41 am

Bah. KDE and Gnome as bloated piggies. Gimme Fluxbox.

Gnome 2.4 has improved a lot, and given a draw between that and KDE, i'd go with Gnome, it seems less fat filled and snappier.

element

Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:00 am

b3n113 wrote:
Bah. KDE and Gnome as bloated piggies. Gimme Fluxbox.

Gnome 2.4 has improved a lot, and given a draw between that and KDE, i'd go with Gnome, it seems less fat filled and snappier.

XFCE 4 is very cool too :)
"I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image." -- Stephen Hawking

yarbo
Gerbil Elite

Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:26 am

XFce4 has been released officially (I was running a release candidate)
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/0 ... 04&tid=189 (since the main page has been slashdotted)
<a href=http://www.gentoo.org>Gentoo GNU/Linux</a>