Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

Doctor Venture
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Is this the correct place for network monitoring on Debian?

Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:29 am

I hope if this is the correct forum for this. If not, then could a mod please move to to the correct section?

Long story short, I'm trying to create a Debian Jessie or Ubuntu 14.04 server Qemu appliance that can be used in GNS3 that can be used for AAA, syslog, TFTP, and netflow9/sFlow collection/analysis, as well as general network monitoring.

I mean, sure I could could write instructions on how to create a Vbox or VMware VM usig Win2K8R2/Elektron/and PRTG for this, but since GNS3 is an open-source project, I'm hoping to use nothing but open-source tools, so the dev team can upload ot to github for any user that wants to just drop into into a topology to use it. Running apt-get install <tools/dependenicies> is easy enough, but when I try to compile the projects from the latest sources (ntop, nfdump+nfsen, Ganglia, Ganliga+ganliga-web2, Gangliga+Graphite-web, or pure Graphite), I run into nothing but problems. Either the documentation is way out of date, or just flat out wrong. Does anyone here have any experience wit this, and could give me advice? And please don't say "use Nagios" becuase that usese the same rrdtool that most of the ones I mentioned do, and it's getting long in the tooth.

*EDIT*
BTW the AAA is for user auth and port-auth on switches. Forgot to mention that.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Re: Is this the correct place for network monitoring on Debi

Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:50 pm

Not really what you are looking for but I used to scare the crap out of various sysadmins who were pissing me off with Cheops, now Cheops-ng. Nothing like a nice picture of your supposedly secure network with all the functions delineated to make your day easier.
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."