Moderators: SecretSquirrel, notfred

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Re: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:16 pm

PenGun wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
And he wasn't complaining about the file being corrupted, he knew he pulled it before the copy was done and didn't expect it to be complete. He was complaining that there isn't a usable copy progress indicator when writing to slow media. CLI tools with progress indicators will exhibit the same issue.

Right, so unmounting the device will at least tell you when it's done.

So will using the unmount button in the GUI.

ludi wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
In this case you are limited by read speed of the USB drive. The percentage complete is much more accurate because data to be written isn't piling up in the OS's file system cache. The amount of data read at any given point is (to a very close approximation) the same as the amount of data which has been physically written to the destination drive, since the destination drive is orders of magnitude faster.

Kind of what I figured. Looks like my larger SSD arrived in today's mail, so sometime this weekend I intend to rebuild my Ubuntu workstation on that drive, starting from a fresh install. Curious to see whether the problem with the outbound progress indicator is native to the system, or represents a glitch that was introduced during the in-place upgrade.

Well, the KDE file copy progress indicator has had this issue since basically forever.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:26 pm

Took the plunge on my primary home workstation this morning. Upgrade in place from 14.04. So far, the only major glitch I has seen is that rpcbind is not starting at boot, so NIS fails to start. This means no user account and now home directory filesystem. Starting rpcbind manually then restarting NIS and autofs result in a working system.

One minor glitch (this is Kubuntu) is logging in with desktop set to "last session" will result is no desktop. It doesn't hang, it just doesn't start a window manager. Selecting Plasma explicitly lets things work just fine. Haven't tried subsequent logins so it my just be carry-over cruft.

--SS

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:42 am

cphite wrote:
Just curious, for those who have upgraded from 14, how is the performance?

I've upgraded my old notebook (Sandy Bridge i5, HD3000 graphics, 8 GB of RAM, SSD) from 14.04 to 16.04, and it works well. If I'm pressed to say, I think it might be a little faster - quicker response times to clicks and launching programs, that sort of thing. But the difference would be in small fractions of a second, if they're there at all.

Also upgraded my desktop (Haswell i7, Nvidia graphics, 16 GB of RAM, SSD) from 14.04 to 16.04, and noted a similar slightly quicker "feel". Would not be willing to stake money on the existence of that performance gain, though.

Definite that nothing is running slower.

P.S. Oh, both systems are running stock Ubuntu, so Unity DE.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:45 am

On a slight tangent, the latest Chrome builds for Linux seem to be a bit laggy IMO.

SecretSquirrel

Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:20 pm

I've noticed 16.04 to be a bit more laggy for me. Seems to be NFS related. I'm guessing some of the default mount options have changed. My home directory is on an NFS mount so I'm rather sensitive to such things. I'll have to switch over to the local admin account and see if the problem persists.

One other "annoyance", and this is a Kubunu specific thing I imagine, is when you add and application to the panel as a launcher, the launcher icon disappears when the application is running. Not a big deal for something like Thunderbird, but its a bit annoying when you shell launcher disappears because you have a shell window open.

--SS

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:09 pm

SecretSquirrel wrote:
One other "annoyance", and this is a Kubunu specific thing I imagine, is when you add and application to the panel as a launcher, the launcher icon disappears when the application is running. Not a big deal for something like Thunderbird, but its a bit annoying when you shell launcher disappears because you have a shell window open.

Try adding the launcher directly to the underlying Panel, instead of to the Task Manager widget.

Edit: I also assign commonly launched applications to global hotkeys. So for example, Super-Alt-T gives me a new shell window, and Super-Alt-W gives me a new web browser. It is little conveniences like that which make a system more enjoyable to use... :D

SecretSquirrel

Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:58 pm

just brew it! wrote:
SecretSquirrel wrote:

Try adding the launcher directly to the underlying Panel, instead of to the Task Manager widget.

Duh! I knew that. Thanks for the reminder!

just brew it! wrote:
Edit: I also assign commonly launched applications to global hotkeys. So for example, Super-Alt-T gives me a new shell window, and Super-Alt-W gives me a new web browser. It is little conveniences like that which make a system more enjoyable to use... :D

At one point I tried to do that as well. The problem I ran into was that I use so many different environments on a daily basis that it was really difficult to get into a rhythm with hotkeys, especially when I was still working in a Windows environment frequently. Now that I'm pretty much down to Linux+KDE and OS X, maybe I'll try it again.

As a follow up, I got the RPCbind issue worked out. It was a matter of having it start explicitly rather than as a dependence of NIS. May have fixed some of the NFS lagginess with an nsswitch.conf change. That is still a bit up in the air though.

--SS

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:19 pm

While we're talking hotkeys... KDE has some issues with assigning hotkey combinations to the numpad. Coming from GNOME, this really pissed me off, since I'd gotten into the habit of using Ctrl-Alt-<numpad-digit> to directly select virtual desktops. The solution turned out to be a combination of the xbindkeys and qdbus tools. (The former allows you to bind arbitrary key sequences to arbitrary actions at the X Windows level, and the latter is a CLI tool that can be used to script various actions in the KDE window manager.) Both are very useful if you're a KDE power user.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:59 am

Whelp, my fresh 16.04 install has been up and running for about two weeks and so far almost everything is humming along. The only oddity, which can crash Ubuntu but is probably Virtual Box issue, is that the VBox 5.0.24 release from the repository has a serious problem with Windows 8.1 -- after the old copy crashed multiple times with the old 5.0.10 Guest Additions still installed, I went with a clean reset and that works fine without any special driver support.

But install the 5.0.24 Guest Additions on an otherwise clean Win8.1 x64 install and the same problems reappear: the VM hitches during login, then crashes outright while trying to load the desktop. The effect ranges from a VM crash to a VirtualBox crash to a complete lockup of the entire Ubuntu system (other than the mouse).  My Goo-fu dredges up a lot of Mac users from a year or two ago who saw this behavior with Win8.1 and Win10 on certain Guest Additions versions if 3D support wasn't consistently enabled.  It's not turning up much on how to repair this problem under Ubuntu.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:27 am

If you're feeling brave you could try installing VBox 5.1.x using Oracle's installer. I haven't tried it yet myself, but maybe they've finally got their dependency train wreck sorted.

Are you on the original 16.04 release, or the 16.04.1 point release? The former is less likely to cause dependency indigestion with VBox 5.1.x, but even on the latter you can minimize the risk by following the installation tips outlined in the VirtualBox caveat thread.

If you decide to try 5.1.x make sure you uninstall 5.0.x first...

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:41 pm

Whatever changes they made for the network manager has messed up my internet connection. With the first couple of builds, it didn't work at all and then the latest one sorta worked for a bit and then timed out or something. The network manager doesn't seem appropriate and I haven't learned yet on how to fix it.
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:46 pm

What's your NIC? Realtek USB WiFi has been borked in some kernels.

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:50 pm

just brew it! wrote:
What's your NIC? Realtek USB WiFi has been borked in some kernels.

It's Realtek, forgot the number. Got a command that will display it? No wifi or router, it's a weird PPPoE setup with IPv4 and IPv6 with tunneling. The network manager that worked on 14.04 was network-manager-gnome 0.9.8.8-0ubuntu4.4

If that hasn't changed and the issue originates elsewhere, I'm even less equipped to fix it before they do. I have a cheap router around that I could use as a workaround but I'll be donating it soon to someone that needs it more than me.
Last edited by Arclight on Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:56 pm

lspci should show the type of NIC if it is PCI/PCIe based. Realtek PCI/PCIe NICs have been pretty solid in Linux for a few years now. I've had some issues with their USB-based gigabit and WiFi NICs though. Sometimes you need to grab the driver source from Realtek's site and recompile the driver to get the connection to stay up consistently.

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:03 pm

just brew it! wrote:
lspci should show the type of NIC if it is PCI/PCIe based. Realtek PCI/PCIe NICs have been pretty solid in Linux for a few years now. I've had some issues with their USB-based gigabit and WiFi NICs though. Sometimes you need to grab the driver source from Realtek's site and recompile the driver to get the connection to stay up consistently.

What showed up "Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Haven't recompiled drivers yet so I wouldn't know where to start, not that I'm asking, I'll be waiting on them to fix it and if they don't I'll buy a newer router that can handle my current connection, the old one topped out at 100 Mbps, which is a couple of times less than actual speed.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:25 pm

That's a bog-standard Realtek PCIe NIC that's been around for a while. I'd be surprised if that's the problem, though it's theoretically possible that Realtek did something to newer versions of the chip that caused the current in-tree driver to break.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:13 am

Realtek are notorious for multiple different versions of the same hardware that all have their own little gremlins.

Having said that, I suspect the problem is more your PPPoE setup. I would manually set that up through /etc/network/interfaces and stop NetworkManager from messing with it. I have a server (so no GUI and no NetworkManager) and have it running PPPoE through /etc/network/interfaces for an IPv4 and IPv6 setup. It's rock solid.

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:51 am

notfred wrote:
Realtek are notorious for multiple different versions of the same hardware that all have their own little gremlins.

Having said that, I suspect the problem is more your PPPoE setup. I would manually set that up through /etc/network/interfaces and stop NetworkManager from messing with it. I have a server (so no GUI and no NetworkManager) and have it running PPPoE through /etc/network/interfaces for an IPv4 and IPv6 setup. It's rock solid.

Can you link to a specific tutorial? I'm actually re-testing today and I found that while I can connect to the internet, it times out or doesn't connect at all with certain sites or even the Ubuntu Software. The main sites that worked were google owned. It's weird. While using the router it worked fine but it's not the fix I'm willing to accept at the moment.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:58 am

That could be a DNS problem. What's the specific error message you get from the browser?

Try using the nslookup CLI tool to see if the problem is with the DNS lookup, and/or try hitting a few sites that aren't working by using their numerical IP address instead of their name.

Edit: If you've never used it before, syntax for nslookup is:
nslookup name-of-site

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:34 am

Actually I'm thinking more an IPv6 MTU problem. Both Google and Ubuntu will be IPv6 enabled, but the Google sites may just clamp down the MSS to allow tunnels to work while Ubuntu may be requiring ICMPv6 TooBig to fit down a tunnel. IPv4 sites would be working. You may just need some ip6tables mss clamp rules.

1) Go to http://test-ipv6.com/ and see if it reports any problems

2) Can you describe your setup in a bit more detail? Are you getting native IPv6 from your ISP or are you running a tunnel to a tunnelbroker service? Are you running this Linux box as a router for other boxes.

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:42 am

I tried the ipv6 but it won't recognize it on either Ubuntu version, it's only recognized when using Windows. On Ubuntu 14.04, on the DSL setup window there is actually no IPv6 tab, this being a major difference compared to the newest version.

The setup on my end is fairly simple, ISP cable (already a CAT) to the home which I plug directly into my desktop PC. The connection type is DSL, PPPoE which I set up with the user and password given by the ISP. Not common configuration but it's good for several hundred Mbps download.

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:07 am

just brew it! wrote:
That could be a DNS problem. What's the specific error message you get from the browser?

Try using the nslookup CLI tool to see if the problem is with the DNS lookup, and/or try hitting a few sites that aren't working by using their numerical IP address instead of their name.

nslookup name-of-site

DNS problem, how though? It works on 14.04 and Windows 7. There is no error, the pages just take forever to load, the loading sign keeps rotating but nothing ever gets displayed. Happened with Firefox add-ons page as well.
That nslookup thing is really useful. I'll try to check it out.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:56 am

You not being able to get anything at all out of http://test-ipv6.com is odd and I agree, it sounds more like a DNS issue. What is your DNS set to? This is actually pretty hard to determine on most systems with resolvconf and dnsmasq running under the typical network manager setup. If you have dnsmasq running you can do
sudo killall -SIGUSR1 dnsmasq
sudo grep dnsmasq /var/log/syslog
and this will dump out the stats from dnsmasq including which DNS servers it is pointing at.

BobbinThreadbare
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:32 pm

Arclight wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

nslookup name-of-site

DNS problem, how though? It works on 14.04 and Windows 7. There is no error, the pages just take forever to load, the loading sign keeps rotating but nothing ever gets displayed. Happened with Firefox add-ons page as well.
That nslookup thing is really useful. I'll try to check it out.

It could be trying to reach on ip6, failing, and then falling back to ip4.

What happens if you just ping some urls?

Or try multitraceroute (should just be mtr from cli, probably has to be installed through some network utils package) and see where the latency is.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:18 am

That would show up on the test-ipv6.com webpage. The fact that the page doesn't open at all even after long enough for timeouts means that something more deeply is borked, either routing or DNS.

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:01 am

It's not the internet config the problem, it's the network manager which has changed from the previous version. When I set it up now, it doesn't show the IPv6 but after I connect, it displays a new tab. It didn't behave like this with older Ubuntu version, they, Canonical, did something not my ISP.

I also tried bypassing the network manager and guess what? It worked with the latest version of the OS. The pppoeconf was simple and fast and everything worked after I connected, but the network manager was back for more. After restarting or stopping and reconnecting it kept disconnecting after a couple of seconds, no doubt due to the manager.

I've already ordered a new router, it's not just the newest Ubuntu version that creates problems and doesn't know how to handle PPPoE, it's Windows 7 as well. I have a fix for it but when I use it, I can't play some games, Had a workaround for it installing VM and whatever protocol it installs makes the problem go away but I'm just annoyed to the point that it's no longer worth it. Both Microsoft and Canonical are the limp d**ks of handling PPPoE setups so the heck with it.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:02 am

If you list the interfaces in /etc/network/interfaces then NM should ignore them, "nmcli device status" should then show the interfaces as "unmanaged" and leave them alone.

captaintrav
Gerbil First Class

Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:30 am

What the issue with Steam on later distributions that was alluded to earlier.  I'm thinking of moving to Linux as my only OS finally, but I do want to get my game on occasionally.

cheesyking

Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:58 pm

captaintrav wrote:
What the issue with Steam on later distributions that was alluded to earlier.  I'm thinking of moving to Linux as my only OS finally, but I do want to get my game on occasionally.

It's not that much of an issue but Steam uses some out of date libraries. If you use the proprietary drivers most problems go away and if you don't there are work arounds. It would just be nice if this sort of problem could be avoided.
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!

ludi
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:21 am

Useful info on software-level microcode udpates, cross posted from another thread (page 1, post #17):
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=118468

Glorious wrote:
JBI wrote:
Ahh, interesting. Will definitely do this.

Like you said, the BIOS/EFI will definitely have a microcode patch, but whether or not it's the latest one for your processor is at the mercy of the motherboard manufacturer.

So, like Concupiscence noted, it's good to install the package that will update the microcode straight from AMD. It'll apply during the boot process, and it'll either be the same as the one the board firmware previously applied during the boot or even newer.

`sudo apt-get install amd64-microcode`

The corresponding one for Intel one is:

`sudo apt-get install intel-microcode`

I always do this for any system.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration