Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

AMD CPU power management in Kubuntu 14.04

Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:01 am

I've noticed that most of the cores on my FX-8350 seem to idle at 2.1 GHz even when the system is very lightly loaded. This seems odd to me; I would expect them to idle at 1.4 GHz (the lowest speed). I do see cores drop to 1.4 GHz occasionally, but it is just a core or two, for a few seconds here and there.

My FX-8320 (on Kubuntu 12.04) behaved more like I expected, with most of the cores sitting at 1.4 GHz unless there was load on the system.

Not sure if this is an FX-8350 thing, or a 14.04 thing.

I'm not particularly concerned; idle CPU temps are a very reasonable 38C, and the fans are nearly silent. But it's still puzzling. And it does mean idle CPU power usage is a little higher than I'd like.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

NTMBK
Gerbil XP

Re: AMD CPU power management in Kubuntu 14.04

Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:14 am

Have you tried it under a different OS, to see if you get similar behaviour?

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:17 am

NTMBK wrote:
Have you tried it under a different OS, to see if you get similar behaviour?

Not yet.

Curious if anyone else has observed this though.

fullbodydenim
Gerbil

Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:00 pm

I'm assuming Cool 'N' Quiet is enabled in the BIOS? It could very well be an operating system issue more than a hardware / platform issue as others have suggested.

alan242
Gerbil

Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:39 pm

Are the both systems using the same CPU scaling governor? Is it possible the one system has a device like a USB joystick or a different daemon that is preventing the CPU from idling?

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:31 pm

fullbodydenim wrote:
I'm assuming Cool 'N' Quiet is enabled in the BIOS?

Yup.

alan242 wrote:
Are the both systems using the same CPU scaling governor? Is it possible the one system has a device like a USB joystick or a different daemon that is preventing the CPU from idling?

Same governor (modulo any differences between the governor implementations in 12.04 / 14.04), and similar (though not identical) hardware configurations. (Previous system was an M5A97 R2.0, current one is an M5A99FX Pro R2.0.)

I suppose if I'm feeling ambitious I could clone the system drive and try bringing it up on the other system (it's still intact, I haven't cannibalized it for parts yet), to see if the difference is the CPU/motherboard. But my guess is that either the CPU governor got revised between 12.04 and 14.04 (and is more aggressive at ramping up CPU clocks), or there's just enough additional background CPU activity in 14.04 to keep the cores from dropping to the lowest power state.

alan242
Gerbil

Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:30 pm

Try powertop (https://01.org/powertop) to see if can find anything that is not allowing the CPU to reach idle. It is an intel maintained tool, but it will work on AMD CPUs as well.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:51 am

alan242 wrote:
Try powertop (https://01.org/powertop) to see if can find anything that is not allowing the CPU to reach idle. It is an intel maintained tool, but it will work on AMD CPUs as well.

Thanks. Now that you mention it, I've heard of the tool before, but it had slipped my mind.

With one browser window and Amarok open (but not playing), powertop indicated that Chrome and the JACK audio stack were generating a lot of events -- hundreds per second -- even though system load was quite low. After killing Chrome, Amarok, and JACK, those events disappeared (as expected); however, it did not have a huge effect on CPU clocks. If I left the system sitting idle for a couple of minutes, I would see up to half of the cores drop down to 1.4 GHz for short periods of time, but the rest would remain at elevated clocks.

I took a couple of screenshots of what I'm talking about. These are after killing Chrome, Amarok, and JACK. Top left window is the built-in top command. Top right window is sysmon2, a system health monitoring script I wrote which shows CPU power usage (as reported by the CPU power monitoring feature on recent AMD CPUs) and core clocks, among other things. Bottom window is powertop.

Negligible system load; 3 of the cores have throttled down, but one is running at full speed, and 4 are at intermediate clock speeds. CPU power 74W.

Slightly higher (but still trivial for an 8-core CPU) system load; all cores now at 2.1 GHz. CPU power 84W.

While this is still a relatively unscientific experiment, based on this I am starting to suspect that the "on demand" CPU governor got re-tuned between 12.04 and 14.04, and now tends to keep more cores in higher power states. If so, this is good from a latency standpoint for anything requiring quick CPU response, but kind of sucks for power management. With more emphasis being placed on real-time performance lately, it would not surprise me if they've gone down this path.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:45 am

What does cpufreq-info say? (from cpufrequtils).

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:10 am

The reason I ask, not being all that familiar with the newer AMD CPUs, is that there are definitely some knobs in the ondemand governor that could be related to this behavior, most notably powersave_bias (which is different than the powersave governor).

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:30 am

It sounds like your cooling is fine, so that's ruled out as a possibility. A few questions you've probably already checked on...

* Are you running the latest AMD firmware for the CPU? I know it wasn't installed and running by default in 14.04.

* Have you undervolted the CPU?

* Have you tried seeing what sustained load across all cores does? Run Handbrake on a test video and see how the cores behave.
Science: Core i9 7940x, 64 gigs RAM, Vega FE, Xubuntu 20.04
Work: Ryzen 5 3600, 32 gigs RAM, Radeon RX 580, Win10 Pro
Tinker: Core i5 2400, 8 gigs RAM, Radeon R9 280x, Xubuntu 20.04 + MS-DOS 7.10

Read me at https://www.wallabyjones.com/

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:35 am

Will probably poke at this some more tonight. I guess I need to dig into what the various tuneable parameters do. For whatever reason, the system seems to be biased towards leaving multiple cores sitting in an intermediate power state, even if system loading is such that just a couple of cores would probably be sufficient.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:39 am

Concupiscence wrote:
It sounds like your cooling is fine, so that's ruled out as a possibility. A few questions you've probably already checked on...

And in any case, bad cooling would have the opposite effect (throttling).

Concupiscence wrote:
* Are you running the latest AMD firmware for the CPU? I know it wasn't installed and running by default in 14.04.

No idea. Will look into this. What firmware are you talking about? Microcode patches? Isn't that something that is normally handled by the BIOS/EFI?

Concupiscence wrote:
* Have you undervolted the CPU?

Nope, unless Asus' "Auto" setting does that behind my back. Aside from enabling ECC and SVM, CPU settings are defaulted.

Concupiscence wrote:
* Have you tried seeing what sustained load across all cores does? Run Handbrake on a test video and see how the cores behave.

Have not checked what 100% load (800% load in Linux-speak, since it's an 8-core CPU...) does; my expectation is that all of the cores will spool up to 4 GHz, and power usage will peg at ~125W. Will verify this.

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:46 am

just brew it! wrote:
Concupiscence wrote:

No idea. Will look into this. What firmware are you talking about? Microcode patches? Isn't that something that is normally handled by the BIOS/EFI?

Typically yes, though if you check the Additional Drivers utility in 16.04 (and at least the two prior versions, IIRC) you'll find AMD microcode updates squirreled away. My guess is that it downloads them as part of a firmware bundle and applies them early in the kernel boot process. From my personal experience it made a significant difference in games that thumped plural CPUs hard, but outside of that use case it didn't affect too much. It still might be worth applying here just to ensure good behavior.

You'll most likely be fine with the Asus defaults, though undervolting certainly helped my average power use and kept peak voltage down substantially; running the numbers on an online TDP calculator, it thumped it down to ~100 watts under full load. I definitely noticed a difference in both noise and heat after doing it.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:57 am

Concupiscence wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Concupiscence wrote:

Typically yes, though if you check the Additional Drivers utility in 16.04 (and at least the two prior versions, IIRC) you'll find AMD microcode updates squirreled away. My guess is that it downloads them as part of a firmware bundle and applies them early in the kernel boot process. From my personal experience it made a significant difference in games that thumped plural CPUs hard, but outside of that use case it didn't affect too much. It still might be worth applying here just to ensure good behavior.

Ahh, interesting. Will definitely do this.

Concupiscence wrote:
You'll most likely be fine with the Asus defaults, though undervolting certainly helped my average power use and kept peak voltage down substantially; running the numbers on an online TDP calculator, it thumped it down to ~100 watts under full load. I definitely noticed a difference in both noise and heat after doing it.

I'm not too worried about full load behavior; the CPU fan and case ventilation are sufficient to keep the noise level reasonable even at 125W. I have run it up to 100% to make sure the core temperature stays within limits; I just didn't specifically look at the CPU clocks when I did that.

It would be nice to get the idle usage consistently below 50W... that seems like a reasonable goal to me.

BobbinThreadbare
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:00 pm

So I guess the obvious thing to do would be switch to the conservative governor?

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:09 pm

JBI wrote:
Ahh, interesting. Will definitely do this.

Like you said, the BIOS/EFI will definitely have a microcode patch, but whether or not it's the latest one for your processor is at the mercy of the motherboard manufacturer.

So, like Concupiscence noted, it's good to install the package that will update the microcode straight from AMD. It'll apply during the boot process, and it'll either be the same as the one the board firmware previously applied during the boot or even newer.

`sudo apt-get install amd64-microcode`

The corresponding one for Intel one is:

`sudo apt-get install intel-microcode`

I always do this for any system.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:19 am

Glorious wrote:
`sudo apt-get install amd64-microcode`
The corresponding one for Intel one is:

`sudo apt-get install intel-microcode`

I always do this for any system.

Hey, that's good to know! Just did it on my T5500.  Not sure how much updating an old Xeon needs, but free is free.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:36 am

BobbinThreadbare wrote:
So I guess the obvious thing to do would be switch to the conservative governor?

Possibly. Haven't had time to dig further.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:57 pm

just brew it! wrote:
BobbinThreadbare wrote:

Possibly. Haven't had time to dig further.

Using the conservative governor results in behavior that is closer to what I saw in 12.04 with the ondemand governor, but may over-compensate in the other direction (cores tend to stay at 1.4 GHz even when there's moderate load). Provided it does not result in video/audio stuttering, this may be acceptable. I plan to run with the conservative governor for a while to see how it goes. If it is deemed unacceptable, I guess the next step is to start playing around with the detailed settings for the governor.

CPU power usage under light load appears to be reduced by around 30-40%. I'm seeing readings in the 40-50W range with JACK running and a few tabs open in Chrome.

If I intentionally run 8+ CPU intensive threads the cores do all spool up to 4 GHz (as they should), and CPU power usage hovers around 122W.

The RPM tachometer for my case exhaust fan is apparently a little glitchy. When I cranked the CPU load up, I was seeing occasional readings in excess of 150,000 RPM! :lol:

Edit: The fact that you're allowed to specify power management governors per core leads to an interesting question. If you specify (say) conservative for half of your cores and ondemand for the other half, will the CPU scheduler prefer cores which are being less aggressively power managed when deciding where to schedule a process?

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:17 pm

OK, no video or audio glitches that I noticed, but "conservative" just feels a little laggy. Not terrible, but I think it is taking too long to ramp up clocks when something requires a burst of CPU, e.g. rendering a new web page or launching a program when you click something. It's set back to "ondemand" for now and I'll play with the detailed settings another day.

BobbinThreadbare
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:50 pm

I'm curious to see how mixing governors goes.

Keep us posted.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:55 pm

BobbinThreadbare wrote:
I'm curious to see how mixing governors goes.

Keep us posted.

Will do. Probably won't have time to play with this some more until Sunday or Monday at the earliest.

blahsaysblah
Gerbil Elite

Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:22 pm

If you google for Debian, https://wiki.debian.org/Microcode
https://packages.debian.org/search?keyw ... -microcode
grep -i microcode /proc/cpuinfo

Ubuntu cant be far off. But likely, its exactly what's said above, some driver is misbehaving and keeping cores from idling as you say you do occasionally see it go down to normal idle speeds.

Seems like typical Linux rabbit hole sucking away some of your lifespan :(

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:39 pm

All righty then... I was in a hacking mood tonight, so I decided to go DIY on this. Rather than picking one of the stock CPU power management governors and tuning it, I concluded that what I really want is a meta-governor, which switches between governors based on system activity and load.

I wrote a simple daemon (as a bash script), which watches the desktop environment for keyboard and mouse activity. Any input device activity causes the "ondemand" governor (which favors responsiveness over power saving) to be used. After a certain number of seconds of inactivity, we fall back to the "conservative" governor, and eventually to the "powersave" governor (which pins clocks to their minimum frequency). But wait... if we have a resource intensive background job (e.g. media encode) running, we don't want the "powersave" governor to kick in, since that would slow things down. So we also watch system load, and if it exceeds a certain threshold, we hold off on enabling the "powersave" governor.

I've initially got the thresholds set to 15 seconds (for the drop to "conservative"), 15 minutes (to drop to "powersave"), and a system load load of 2.00 to keep the system out of "powersave"). The daemon polls every 0.5 second, so that's the maximum latency for switching out of the lower-power governor states back to "ondemand".

Gonna run with this for a while, and see if I experience any issues.

The script runs in a "debug" mode if executed as a non-root user, where it merely logs what changes it would make to the CPU power management state if it could.

Here's the script... releasing it under GPL:
#!/bin/bash
#
#   cpugovmon - change CPU governor based on inactivity time and system load
#   Copyright (C) 2016  Michael Uchima
#
#   This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
#   it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
#   the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
#   (at your option) any later version.
#
#   This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
#   but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
#   MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
#   GNU General Public License for more details.
#
#   See <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/> for a copy of the GNU General
#   Public License.

# Tunable parameters
SECS_CONSERVATIVE=15        # secs of DE inactivity for conservative governor
SECS_POWERSAVE=900          # secs of DE inactivity for powersave governor
LOAD_NOSAVE=200             # sys load (x100) that bumps us up from powersave to conservative

# Need the xprintidle tool; if not installed, bail
if [[ "`which xprintidle`" == "" ]]; then
    echo "+++ xprintidle not installed, cpugovmon exiting +++"
    exit 1
fi

# Let 'em know we're running
if [[ "`whoami`" != "root" ]]; then
    echo "`date` - +++ cpugovmon started (non-root) +++"
else
    echo "`date` - +++ cpugovmon started +++"
fi

NEWGOV=""
PREVGOV=""
NEWLOAD=0
PREVLOAD=0

while true; do
    # Gather current system state
    TIME_NOW=`date`
    IDLE=$((`xprintidle`/1000))
    NEWLOAD=`cat /proc/loadavg | sed -e 's/ .*$//;s/\.//;s/^0*//'`
    # Log transitions above/below the "no powersave" threshold
    if [[ $NEWLOAD -ge $LOAD_NOSAVE && $PREVLOAD -lt $LOAD_NOSAVE ]]; then
        echo "$TIME_NOW - load above threshold"
    fi
    if [[ $NEWLOAD -lt $LOAD_NOSAVE && $PREVLOAD -ge $LOAD_NOSAVE ]]; then
        echo "$TIME_NOW - load below threshold"
    fi
    # Decide which governor we want
    if [[ $IDLE -ge $SECS_POWERSAVE && $NEWLOAD -lt $LOAD_NOSAVE ]]; then
        NEWGOV=powersave
    elif  [[ $IDLE -gt $SECS_CONSERVATIVE ]]; then
        NEWGOV=conservative
    else
        NEWGOV=ondemand
    fi
    # If desired governor changed, set it
    if [[ "$NEWGOV" != "$PREVGOV" ]]; then
        if [[ "`whoami`" == "root" ]]; then
            echo "$TIME_NOW - setting CPU governor to $NEWGOV"
            for CPU in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor; do
                echo $NEWGOV >$CPU
            done
        else
            echo "$TIME_NOW - would set CPU governor to $NEWGOV if running as root"
        fi
        PREVGOV=$NEWGOV
    fi
    PREVLOAD=$NEWLOAD
    # Wait a half second so we're not hammering the system
    sleep 0.5
done

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:11 am

just brew it! wrote:
All righty then... I was in a hacking mood tonight, so I decided to go DIY on this. Rather than picking one of the stock CPU power management governors and tuning it, I concluded that what I really want is a meta-governor, which switches between governors based on system activity and load.

I wrote a simple daemon (as a bash script), which watches the desktop environment for keyboard and mouse activity. Any input device activity causes the "ondemand" governor (which favors responsiveness over power saving) to be used. After a certain number of seconds of inactivity, we fall back to the "conservative" governor, and eventually to the "powersave" governor (which pins clocks to their minimum frequency). But wait... if we have a resource intensive background job (e.g. media encode) running, we don't want the "powersave" governor to kick in, since that would slow things down. So we also watch system load, and if it exceeds a certain threshold, we hold off on enabling the "powersave" governor.

I've initially got the thresholds set to 15 seconds (for the drop to "conservative"), 15 minutes (to drop to "powersave"), and a system load load of 2.00 to keep the system out of "powersave"). The daemon polls every 0.5 second, so that's the maximum latency for switching out of the lower-power governor states back to "ondemand".

Gonna run with this for a while, and see if I experience any issues.

The script runs in a "debug" mode if executed as a non-root user, where it merely logs what changes it would make to the CPU power management state if it could.

Here's the script... releasing it under GPL:
#!/bin/bash
#
#   cpugovmon - change CPU governor based on inactivity time and system load
#   Copyright (C) 2016  Michael Uchima
#
#   This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
#   it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
#   the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
#   (at your option) any later version.
#
#   This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
#   but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
#   MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
#   GNU General Public License for more details.
#
#   See <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/> for a copy of the GNU General
#   Public License.

# Tunable parameters
SECS_CONSERVATIVE=15        # secs of DE inactivity for conservative governor
SECS_POWERSAVE=900          # secs of DE inactivity for powersave governor
LOAD_NOSAVE=200             # sys load (x100) that bumps us up from powersave to conservative

# Need the xprintidle tool; if not installed, bail
if [[ "`which xprintidle`" == "" ]]; then
    echo "+++ xprintidle not installed, cpugovmon exiting +++"
    exit 1
fi

# Let 'em know we're running
if [[ "`whoami`" != "root" ]]; then
    echo "`date` - +++ cpugovmon started (non-root) +++"
else
    echo "`date` - +++ cpugovmon started +++"
fi

NEWGOV=""
PREVGOV=""
NEWLOAD=0
PREVLOAD=0

while true; do
    # Gather current system state
    TIME_NOW=`date`
    IDLE=$((`xprintidle`/1000))
    NEWLOAD=`cat /proc/loadavg | sed -e 's/ .*$//;s/\.//;s/^0*//'`
    # Log transitions above/below the "no powersave" threshold
    if [[ $NEWLOAD -ge $LOAD_NOSAVE && $PREVLOAD -lt $LOAD_NOSAVE ]]; then
        echo "$TIME_NOW - load above threshold"
    fi
    if [[ $NEWLOAD -lt $LOAD_NOSAVE && $PREVLOAD -ge $LOAD_NOSAVE ]]; then
        echo "$TIME_NOW - load below threshold"
    fi
    # Decide which governor we want
    if [[ $IDLE -ge $SECS_POWERSAVE && $NEWLOAD -lt $LOAD_NOSAVE ]]; then
        NEWGOV=powersave
    elif  [[ $IDLE -gt $SECS_CONSERVATIVE ]]; then
        NEWGOV=conservative
    else
        NEWGOV=ondemand
    fi
    # If desired governor changed, set it
    if [[ "$NEWGOV" != "$PREVGOV" ]]; then
        if [[ "`whoami`" == "root" ]]; then
            echo "$TIME_NOW - setting CPU governor to $NEWGOV"
            for CPU in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor; do
                echo $NEWGOV >$CPU
            done
        else
            echo "$TIME_NOW - would set CPU governor to $NEWGOV if running as root"
        fi
        PREVGOV=$NEWGOV
    fi
    PREVLOAD=$NEWLOAD
    # Wait a half second so we're not hammering the system
    sleep 0.5
done

Wow. Excellent work. I'm gonna play with this. Thank you!

BobbinThreadbare
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:15 am

That's some cool work, but I think dropping to powersave might be excessive. Conservative is going to keep your cores at low frequencies already.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:49 am

BobbinThreadbare wrote:
That's some cool work, but I think dropping to powersave might be excessive. Conservative is going to keep your cores at low frequencies already.

Yeah, perhaps; and it did add the complication of needing to monitor load average to accommodate CPU-intensive background jobs. However, there was one specific scenario I had in mind when I did it -- the case where you've left a web browser up, and there's a badly coded page that pegs a CPU core. Even with the conservative governor that core will ramp up to full speed; with the support for powersave mode, that core will still get throttled down if you haven't touched the system for 15 minutes.

It is possible dropping all the way to powersave mode might cause stuttering issues for video playback, in which case the SECS_POWERSAVE value could be increased to a couple of hours (to accommodate full-length movies) if desired. Or disable powersave mode entirely by setting SECS_POWERSAVE to a very large value.

Also, a caveat I should've mentioned: Current Intel CPUs (Sandy Bridge and later, IIRC) use a different power management scheme, which probably won't work with this script. Indications are that Intel's power management does a decent job without further assistance anyway. So don't bother unless you're running Linux on AMD or an older Intel processor.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:02 pm

For your edification/amusement, another hacked together script that has proved useful in looking at this issue:
#!/bin/bash
#
#   wattbar - show CPU power usage in a terminal window as a bargraph
#   Copyright (C) 2016  Michael Uchima
#
#   Uses AMD's on-die CPU power sensor, available in Bulldozer and
#   later cores. Sensors package must be installed and properly
#   configured for this to work!
#
#   Top bar is instantaneous power, bottom bar is 10 second rolling
#   average. Samples 5x/second, updates display once a second.
#
#   Note: For systems which are very lightly loaded, it is possible
#   that this script may account for a non-trivial fraction of the
#   system load!
#
#   This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
#   it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
#   the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
#   (at your option) any later version.
#
#   This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
#   but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
#   MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
#   GNU General Public License for more details.
#
#   See <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/> for a copy of the GNU General
#   Public License.

# Initialize array used for rolling average calc
I=0
while [[ $I -lt 50 ]]; do
    SLOT[$I]=0
    I=$((I+1))
done
# Initialize other temporaries
SUM=0
SLOTS=0
I=0
# Loop forever until killed
while true; do
    # You will need to play with the following line depending on how your
    # motherboard does CPU power monitoring; goal is to get current CPU power
    # into the WATTS variable, as an integer.
    WATTS=`sensors fam15h_power-pci-00c4 | tail -n +3 | head -n 1 | sed -e 's/^.*: *//;s/\..*$//'`
    # Do the calcs
    SUM=$((SUM-SLOT[I]+WATTS))
    SLOT[I]=$WATTS
    I=$(((I+1)%50))
    if [[ $SLOTS -lt 50 ]]; then
        SLOTS=$((SLOTS+1))
    fi
    # Update display every 5th sample
    if [[ $((I%5)) -eq 0 ]]; then
        BARLEN=$((WATTS/2))
        WATTSAVG=$((SUM/SLOTS))
        BARLENAVG=$((WATTSAVG/2))
        clear
        printf "%3d %s\n" $WATTS `echo -n "======================================================================" | head -c $BARLEN`
        printf "%3d %s\n" $WATTSAVG `echo -n "======================================================================" | head -c $BARLENAVG`
    fi
    # Wait 200 ms
    sleep 0.2
done

As an aside for the Linux CLI newbies, the line that sets the WATTS variable is a good example of using a shell pipeline to pick apart the output of a Linux CLI tool. Yeah, it's a little cryptic (sed pipelines tend to be that way), but it is stuff like this that makes it possible to quickly hack simple tools together. I wrote that line by repeatedly trying it in a CLI window, tweaking the sed expression until I got it right, then copy-pasting from the CLI window into the editor. It only took a couple of minutes to figure that part out; the rest was straightforward bash scripting.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:08 pm

If you have head and tail and sed all in a pipeline then you could probably do the same thing with an inline awk pipeline.