Personal computing discussed

Moderators: SecretSquirrel, notfred

anotherengineer
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Linux SSD wont let me boot Win DVD

Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:40 am

So had an SSD with linux mint.  Put it in another machine to do a fresh windows install at boot.  During post I get error: unknown file system, entering rescue mode... grub rescue >

Odd thing is I plugged this SSD into a win 7 machine, and went through manage disks and deleted all partitions and formatted NTFS before putting it in the new machine.

I have cd first boot in BIOS also, so I'm at a loss.  Any ideas?
Thanks
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Re: Linux SSD wont let me boot Win DVD

Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:57 am

Sounds like the system isn't trying to boot from the CD at all, or the SSD still has priority. What happens if you disconnect the SSD entirely? Does the Windows installer boot?

Best bet is to do a secure erase (or second best, write zeros to the entire drive) on the SSD. That way it'll appear "factory fresh".
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

anotherengineer
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:00 am

I disabled the ssd/hdd altogether in BIOS as a boot device.  But I will unplug it and see.

Edit - just unplugged SSD and it boots up from windows 7 dvd and loads setup files

edit 2 - "It is also very useful before starting the Windows installation process to correct for disk format errors of many kinds, to include over-writing the Linux / Grub boot loader, that is known to cause serious issues when installing Windows to a HDD / SSD that has had Grub as a loader in the past; also to correct installation errors when clean installing Windows 7 to a space that originally contained Windows XP."
from here
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/17 ... thods.html
Guess I will try that.
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:21 am

Sounds like the Windows installer sucks at dealing with media that previously contained another OS...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

blahsaysblah
Gerbil Elite

Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:26 am

Try doing a clean with diskpart.exe, (for reference can do during install off media, choose repair on second page after choosing language, troubleshoot, cmd shell, diskpart... than setup.exe to continue installing)

diskpart
list disk

select disk #

details disk (hopefully it matches what you expect)
clean (wipes everything in an instant.. select right disk...)
convert gpt (UEFI)
or
convert mbr (BIOS)

exit

use it's built-in help
help
help list
help clean

list part
list vol

select part #
del part
or
del part override (for system volumes)

ludi
Darth Gerbil

Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:27 am

IME you don't want to install Windows to an existing partition unless it previously contained a compatible version of Windows and you're just reinstalling.  Otherwise, when you get to the installer screen where you can either use the default disk/partition or edit the partitions, go to "edit" and then blow away everything before proceeding, and the installer will create a compatible boot sector and partition structure.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration