Personal computing discussed

Moderators: SecretSquirrel, notfred

|FN|Steel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Silverlight

Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:19 pm

Has anyone managed to get one of the Silverlight projects up and running on Cent7? (I guess any current RHEL?)

My company has a single vendor we use that displays friggin' customer information, of all things, in a browser and requires Silverlight to work. And every friggin' agent needs it. They're supposed to be introducing an interface without it "Q3" and I'm REALLY trying to push Linux on these new builds I'm about to do and save a few thousand dollars for not having to purchase Windows.

I'm not trying to live the Linux dream or anything. It just makes so much sense in our environment to do it this way!

Halp?! Thanks!
Sucking down the easy flowing milk from society's warm breasts.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Re: Silverlight

Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:31 pm

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here...

Microsoft ceased all new development on Silverlight in 2013, and is only providing security patches. The Silverlight-on-Linux project (Moonlight) has effectively been abandonware since 2012, and only supported Silverlight versions 1 and 2 even when it was being actively developed (the last official Microsoft Silverlight release was version 5).

This sounds like a really, really deep rabbit hole to me. As in, unless this app didn't use any features beyond Silverlight 2 (and maybe even then), it would not surprise me if you need a full-time experienced Linux developer or three (to hack on the Moonlight code) to get this working decently on a modern distro and browser.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:37 am

Yeah that's not the direction you want to go.  Chances are even if you do have to support Silverlight for a while it'll be cheaper and way easier to just prop up the existing setup in the meantime, and let Silverlight die on its own terms.

If it's only one client, maybe you can set up a virtual server or something somewhere and just deal with Silverlight from there.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

|FN|Steel
Topic Author

Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:59 pm

*sigh* You make me sad.

What would you guys suggest? It's a call center, it's ALL web based, and this is the only thorn in my side. Everything else just WORKS. Every agent uses it (150 in my current location), but only for about 1/3 of their calls. We do NOT have LDAP or anything else like that setup yet (sooo close I can taste it).

Is there anything clever I could setup on my server that would provide a portal or something? I dunno. I REALLY hate to dish out the money for more Windows licenses over this one little piece of **** that's hosted somewhere else. Ugh.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:49 pm

I suppose you could try installing the Windows version of Firefox + Silverlight under wine...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

|FN|Steel
Topic Author

Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:55 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I suppose you could try installing the Windows version of Firefox + Silverlight under wine...

Yeah, I was concerned about licensing and such. There are a couple solutions like this I need to invest some time into looking at. Pipelight seems to be working for practically every other RHEL dsitro except Cent7 which is what I'm trying to get up too. May just have to spin up a bunch of different VMs and see what sticks.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:18 pm

just brew it! wrote:

That was the standard Netflix hack for Ubuntu 14.04 and clones. Required a specific (and outdated) version of Firefox.
If the Earth were flat, cats would have pushed everything off of it by now.