Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

synthtel2
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

DSR equivalent on Linux?

Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:35 pm

Nvidia doesn't appear to have seen fit to make DSR work on Linux. When I was last thinking about this, I saw suggestions to mess with viewportin to get the same effect, but that didn't end well - resampling was terribly bad quality (nearest, I think). Also, when I went all the way to 4K (on the theory it might make resampling to 1080p easier), the only bit that got sent out to the display was a narrow band at the top.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get supersampling working with arbitrary games? It's Arch Linux, a GTX 960, and Nvidia proprietary drivers, if any of that helps.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: DSR equivalent on Linux?

Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:14 pm

Sadly, this sounds like the sort of thing that really needs native driver support. So you're basically relying on nVIDIA supporting it in their binary driver, nouveau getting to the point where they're caught up enough that stuff like this can float up to the top of their "to do" list, or someone for whom this is a hot-button issue (and who has GPU driver development experience) forking nouveau and implementing it.

IOW... don't hold your breath.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

synthtel2
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:53 pm

I was thinking more along the lines of SMAA injection (this one looks like it was built primarily for downsampling). I haven't the slightest what extra shenanigans might be involved if someone wanted to do that on Linux, though.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:40 am

Ahh, OK. I assumed you meant you wanted it done with hardware acceleration.

I'm not familiar with how they're inserting their SMAA code into the rendering pipeline. I suppose the feasibility of implementing something like this on Linux depends on how amenable OpenGL is to whatever hook mechanism it is they're using to do the CPU-side post-processing. The link you posted only mentions DirectX, so they apparently did not make any attempts to address OpenGL.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.