Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Need some help with network drive file and Chrome..

Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:58 am

I've mounted a network drive file from Unraid on a PCLinuxOS (VM).  (..made it a browsable location for the file manager and then click on it to mount.)

I want that network drive as my default download location for Chrome.

So I go into Chrome settings and change that location - and it only allows me to make a change by hitting the settings Download change "button" and then selecting a location from it's file manager (left hand side of the window), I can't just type in a location. So I select the network drive and it shows up as:

/home/computer/.gvfs/smb-share:se

However the file manager (caja) for the OS says that network drive is located at:

smb://drive.local/downloads/

-and I can't seem to get it changed to that (..and don't even know if that would work).

Note: the default download location works, as does any other true local location - it's just that any portion of the network ends in "download failed" (..and no reason other than that).

I'm not really sure what's going on..

-so, some help please.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Need some help with network drive file and Chrome..

Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:20 am

CScottG wrote:
any portion of the network ends in "download failed" (..and no reason other than that)

Not sure what you mean. Do you mean all downloads fail (with a generic "download failed" message)?

When the network share is connected, does it show up in the output of the CLI "df" command? If so, you may be able to get Chrome to see it by creating a symlink to the mount point.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:55 pm

From the paths you gave it looks like you haven't actually done a full mount (which requires root access), you are just doing a user mount. A full mount in to the filesystem would give you a path that was indistinguishable from a local drive.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:13 pm

Either bind mount it or *actually* mount it to where you want it to download to. Once you have a full mount, it will be indistinguishable from a local mount (unless you have a wonky client or server config).

In short:
1. Mount it somewhere (/sambashare/whatever)
2. Ensure it shows up via "mount" or "df".
3. Be happy. :)
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:18 pm

Thanks guys! :D

I'll have to read up more on how to *actually* mount the drive. :oops:

The oddity is, what I was doing works just fine in Epiphany. Chrome however seems to be doing something else. :(

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:23 am

That is kind of odd.

But anyway, this page may be of some help. The instructions are for Ubuntu, but most of it looks fairly generic to me.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.