Personal computing discussed

Moderators: SecretSquirrel, notfred

 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: Is Linux getting easier to use then Windows?

Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:11 pm

sophisticles wrote:
Waco wrote:
This hasn't been true in years (becoming "slow" over time). I'm on the same install of Windows 10 since day one of upgrades, and Windows 7 was the original upgrade on day one.

Keep your BS elsewhere, because you're not going to pull one over on anyone that knows their stuff here. Most of what you're saying isn't true.


It most certainly is true, here's a tip straight from Microshaft on how to optimize Win 7 for maximum performance:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... erformance

This tip is simple. Restart your PC at least once a week, especially if you use it a lot. Restarting a PC is a good way to clear out its memory and ensure that any errant processes and services that started running get shut down.

So MS' suggestion on how to make Windows better is to not use it, who am I to argue?

So a Windows system that doesn't get rebooted will slow down over time per MS, I wish they had kept their BS OS to themselves and not darkened the computing landscape.

With Majaro Linux I can go anywhere from days to months without rebooting. In fact most of the time I'm only rebooting after applying major updates.
 
Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1578
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:44 am

Re: Is Linux getting easier to use then Windows?

Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:50 pm

Ugh, don't you guys ever get tired of this? Sophisticles is frantically trying to remove foot from mouth, and you're still babbling about the wonders of Manjaro like we're not six pages into this. Both of you would make an excellent case study for some grad student interested in marketing though. A lot of people would love to know how a product from a particular company engenders this kind of loyalty(and spite) even though it's almost completely intangible.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.
 
synthtel2
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 683
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:30 am

Re: Is Linux getting easier to use then Windows?

Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:13 pm

I'm willing to hazard a guess that Manjaro actually is that good. Arch is, but it has learning curve problems. Manjaro has made some questionable technical decisions and I definitely wouldn't trust it as much as Arch or Antergos, but if they've made the learning curve look good while maintaining most of Arch's benefits, that's a big deal.
 
ludi
Darth Gerbil
Posts: 7843
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2002 10:47 pm
Location: Sunny Colorado front range

Re: Is Linux getting easier to use then Windows?

Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:20 pm

Redocbew wrote:
Ugh, don't you guys ever get tired of this? Sophisticles is frantically trying to remove foot from mouth.

If removal is his goal, he's doing an awful lot of pushing.

In any case, I think the thread's per-page progress is right on schedule:

1 - Train leaves station
2 - Train picks up speed
3 - Train discovers brakes are faulty
4 - Sparks, screams, unnatural metallic sounds
5 - Cable News Anchors arrive
6 - Cleanup crew
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: Is Linux getting easier to use then Windows?

Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:25 pm

synthtel2 wrote:
I'm willing to hazard a guess that Manjaro actually is that good. Arch is, but it has learning curve problems. Manjaro has made some questionable technical decisions and I definitely wouldn't trust it as much as Arch or Antergos, but if they've made the learning curve look good while maintaining most of Arch's benefits, that's a big deal.

I haven't tried Arch or Antergos, but Manjaro is fairly decent, I like it much better then Mint and Xubuntu. Plus the users in it's forum are almost super friendly to boot. So far I only had a few problems with it.
 
Waco
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2328
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:14 pm
Location: Los Alamos, NM

Re: Is Linux getting easier to use then Windows?

Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:20 am

sophisticles wrote:
Waco wrote:
This hasn't been true in years (becoming "slow" over time). I'm on the same install of Windows 10 since day one of upgrades, and Windows 7 was the original upgrade on day one.

Keep your BS elsewhere, because you're not going to pull one over on anyone that knows their stuff here. Most of what you're saying isn't true.


It most certainly is true, here's a tip straight from Microshaft on how to optimize Win 7 for maximum performance:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... erformance

This tip is simple. Restart your PC at least once a week, especially if you use it a lot. Restarting a PC is a good way to clear out its memory and ensure that any errant processes and services that started running get shut down.


So MS' suggestion on how to make Windows better is to not use it, who am I to argue?

So a Windows system that doesn't get rebooted will slow down over time per MS, I wish they had kept their BS OS to themselves and not darkened the computing landscape.

You're really stretching on that one (it's also unrelated to what we were discussing). Restarting occasionally, for novice / careless users, makes sense. This is no less true in *nix.

Windows will happily run for many many months on end if you choose to defer security updates. The same goes for *nix.

Look - I love Unix and Linux as much as anyone else, but your blind (and misinformed) hatred is just pointless.
Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon | 6700K @ 4.4 | 16 GB | GTX Titan Xm | Seasonix Gold 850 | XSPC RX360 | Heatkiller R3 | D5 + RP-452X2 | Cosmos II | Samsung 4K 40" | 2048 + 240 + LSI 9207-8i (128x8) SSDs
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 51059
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Is Linux getting easier to use then Windows?

Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:03 am

sophisticles wrote:
It's not the exact reverse

It's darned close though. Overflowing the RAMdrive into swap because it has used too much RAM (what your linked page talks about) is pretty much the opposite of putting your swap partition in a RAMdrive. The page says absolutely nothing about putting swap in a RAMdrive.

Putting swap in a RAMdrive would have zero performance benefit (and in fact will probably perform worse...) versus disabling swap entirely, unless something else in the system configuration is seriously hosed. By turning part of your RAM into swap, you're using the same RAM, just in a less efficient way.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
notfred
Maximum Gerbil
Posts: 4472
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:10 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: Is Linux getting easier to use then Windows?

Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:35 am

And this thread is done. We've gone way past discussions of ease of use and it's turning in to a flame fest.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest