Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

POP!_OS by System76.

Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:04 pm

Catching up on Linux news from a few days ago, System76 is working on their version of Ubuntu by the name of POP!_OS. Personally I think they could have chosen a better name then that, maybe System76OS or something along those lines.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n ... S-Announce

Now I have heard good enough things about System76 that I would consider buying a laptop from them, even though I will replace the Ubuntu distro they currently ship with with Manjaro if I did.

On another note, they are also starting to design and manufacture their own hardware themselves. Well I for one do wish them the best of luck with both ventures.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Re: POP!_OS by System76.

Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:34 am

What or commits yet?? Surely someone has something to say about this besides me.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:57 am

Yes, we all live just to respond to your posts, and if we don't respond within 12 hours we're slacking off. :-? I also imagine a lot of people don't make it past the topic index; they just go "oh, another whm1974 Linux thread" and move on. :lol:

My take: Oh great, just what we need... yet another distro in an already crowded/fragmented market. :roll:

And I say this as an employee of an organization that has their own distro of sorts. But in our case, the product is really more like a turnkey appliance than a general-purpose platform, so it makes more sense.

Given that POP!_OS sounds like it is essentially another Ubuntu respin, I guess I'm not really understanding what compelling feature this new "OS" brings to the table that couldn't have been handled with a few meta-packages to install domain-specific sets of tools.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:51 am

I would wait for System 7.6.1 instead. The 0.0.1 releases really fixed a bunch of stuff, so much that you'd only really want to use the "odd" versions as the "even" ones always had problems.

Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:57 am

Haha wtf they are 2 blocks from where I work in downtown Denver. Man is this pretentious. Their about us page is just a bunch of black and white photos of their staff.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:14 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Yes, we all live just to respond to your posts, and if we don't respond within 12 hours we're slacking off. :-? I also imagine a lot of people don't make it past the topic index; they just go "oh, another whm1974 Linux thread" and move on. :lol:

My take: Oh great, just what we need... yet another distro in an already crowded/fragmented market. :roll:

And I say this as an employee of an organization that has their own distro of sorts. But in our case, the product is really more like a turnkey appliance than a general-purpose platform, so it makes more sense.

Given that POP!_OS sounds like it is essentially another Ubuntu respin, I guess I'm not really understanding what compelling feature this new "OS" brings to the table that couldn't have been handled with a few meta-packages to install domain-specific sets of tools.

I'm thinking they don't like the way Ubuntu is going and will over time will add enough improvements to POP!_OS to be considered a different distro then Ubuntu like Mint currently is. One thing I'm hoping is that System76 will do is sponsor heavy development of applications like GIMP, Darktable, Blender, Inkscape, and maybe game development as well.

TBH however, I am more interested in their hardware design and manufacturing plans instead of the the new distro.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:47 pm

whm1974 wrote:
I'm thinking they don't like the way Ubuntu is going and will over time will add enough improvements to POP!_OS to be considered a different distro then Ubuntu like Mint currently is.

Mint (last time I checked) still falls back to the Ubuntu repos for most packages. I imagine POP!_OS does (and will continue to do) the same.

whm1974 wrote:
One thing I'm hoping is that System76 will do is sponsor heavy development of applications like GIMP, Darktable, Blender, Inkscape, and maybe game development as well.

I seriously doubt they've got enough extra cash on hand to sponsor "heavy development" on stuff like that.

whm1974 wrote:
TBH however, I am more interested in their hardware design and manufacturing plans instead of the the new distro.

AFAICT they're really more of an integrator/VAR (not a manufacturer), choosing off-the-shelf components with an eye towards Linux compatibility. I'd be surprised if anything beyond the cases are custom designs. Their value-add really is in vetting things for Linux compatibility, and guaranteeing that compatibility.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:11 pm

I also have to wonder how these guys will survive, given that Dell has quite a few Linux offerings these days.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:24 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I also have to wonder how these guys will survive, given that Dell has quite a few Linux offerings these days.

The last time I checked Dell's web site(for laptops), they didn't have any consumer Linux offerings, just the developer editions. While System76 offer almost anything you want if a bit on the expensive side. Since I prefer to build my own desktops, I usually don't look at that section.

Funny every Linux Youtube channel I watch seems to hold System76 in high regard.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:30 pm

whm1974 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

The last time I checked Dell's web site(for laptops), they didn't have any consumer Linux offerings, just the developer editions. While System76 offer almost anything you want if a bit on the expensive side. Since I prefer to build my own desktops, I usually don't look at that section.

Most consumers don't want Linux (unless it is Android). I'd even be willing to bet that many (if not most) of their customers who are buying the cheaper "consumer" options are actually developers on a tight budget.

whm1974 wrote:
Funny every Linux Youtube channel I watch seems to hold System76 in high regard.

Well, they're obviously doing something right. And they really don't have much competition in their niche.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:26 am

Well here is a video podcast by Bryan Lunduke with an employee of System76 covering why they decided to do their own distro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sznEQHXstE&t=1980s

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:03 am

whm1974 wrote:
Well here is a video podcast by Bryan Lunduke with an employee of System76 covering why they decided to do their own distro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sznEQHXstE&t=1980s

Ok to summarize the video(I'm going to have to watch it again), System76 is basically is not trusting Canonical after they dropped Unity and Mir and they want to be less dependent on them as well. On top of this they were already adding stuff and making changes to the version of Ubuntu that was installed on the systems they sell anyway.

Now this is a wait and see on just different POP!_OS will end up being to Ubuntu after it has been in production for a few years.