Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

derTorbs
Gerbil
Topic Author

Migrating from Samba DC to Windows DC

Mon May 21, 2018 11:48 am

Hello,

No idea if this is the right forum to post in, but I have been given the task of integrating a new Windows Infrastructure into what was essentially a budget domain build.

The research lab currently has a Raspberry Pi running Samba DC 4.1.7. The Pi is acting as DC, DNS, and DHCP. The lab has roughly 40 domain connected machines. The lab recently got a significant boost in investment and wants to modernize their current IT infrastructure. To that end they have tasked me with purchasing, and installing new Windows Servers to replace the Pi.

I have 2 big servers in mind, to run several virtual server machines running Windows Server 2016, however I found that there is a bug with Samba DC (https://bugzilla.samba.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12204) where adding a Windows DC to a Samba Domain kills the replication schema.

Initially, I was planning on creating 2 virtual Windows DCs, adding them to the domain, promoting them and demoting the pi, having the windows servers take over all DC, DNS, and DHCP roles and removing the Pi from the network.

So my questions are thus, is my plan the proper way to go about this? Does the bug mentioned above affect my plan? Are there any known issues with this sort of procedure?

Much appreciated!
Intel Core i7 930 | Asus P6TD Delux X58 | Corsair 12 GB RAM | Raidmax 650W | Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 Ti | Dell Ultrasharp U2711 & U2312 | Corsair K90 | R.A.T. 7| Corsair Vengeance 1500|