Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

notfred
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Ryzen 2600 Ubuntu 18.04.1 beeps on boot

Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:51 am

I've just put together a new system with a Ryzen 2600, Gigabyte B450M DS3H motherboard, 2x4GB Ripjaws 4 memory, Samsung 970 Evo, and running Ubuntu 18.04.1

I connected the motherboard buzzer and as well as doing the normal high pitched single beep at boot, it does a second lower pitched and slightly longer beep - seems to be about when the kernel boots. It doesn't do this beep when I boot memtestx86+ off a USB stick so I think it's from Linux rather than the UEFI.

Any ideas on what is going on? And how do I stop it - apart from unplugging the buzzer :) The case has a laser bright blue power LED on top that I've unplugged so having the single beep on power on is nice, but the 2nd beep sounds like some alarm noise and is a little disconcerting.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Ryzen 2600 Ubuntu 18.04.1 beeps on boot

Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:37 pm

Other than to say that 18.04 didn't seem quite ready for prime time to me, I don't have much to offer.

Does it happen if you boot from an 18.04 live image, or only when you boot from the one installed to your system drive?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:10 pm

It happens when I PXE boot the netinstall image, I'll try a live USB stick tonight.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:41 pm

It still happened with a live USB stick, but I've solved it and it was an alarm noise! :D

I noticed that the CPU and case fans seemed to slow slightly as it booted and beeped. I suspect that as the kernel comes up it does stuff with the ACPI Thermal Zone or similar and the fans are set to 0% for a moment. It seems that the case fan slows enough to trigger the fan failure alarm and that is what the beep was. While the CPU fan also visibly slows, it is rotating a lot faster to begin with so it doesn't seem to drop to a low enough RPM to trigger the fan failure alarm. Turning off the case fan failure alarm gets me a normal quiet boot.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:23 pm

Oh, hey, I should've thought of that possibility.

A few years back I had a motherboard with an overly aggressive fan speed alarm. I also had a larger, lower RPM CPU fan that took a couple of seconds to get up to speed. On a cold boot, the fan speed alarm would go off for a few seconds because the fan wasn't coming up to speed before the fan speed monitoring kicked in.

Sounds like you hit something similar, but later in the boot process.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.