Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Chrome/Brave on Linux

Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:26 pm

Anyone else noticing poor performance on Chrome lately running on Linux? I have a laptop and a desktop both running Linux Mint and am noticing that both Chrome and Brave (which is basically Chrome Lite) are sometimes hanging for several seconds at a time. Doesn't appear to be related to ads or anything like that.

Desktop is running 19.3 and Laptop is running 19.1 - haven't noticed any other issues so it seems pretty isolated to Chrome.

cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Chrome/Brave on Linux

Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:38 pm

Used it all day today and didn't notice anything under Ubuntu.
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:51 pm

I've noticed some lag lately when running it in a VM, but it has generally been fine running native.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Igor_Kavinski

Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:08 pm

cphite wrote:
...Brave (which is basically Chrome Lite)...

Thanks. I need to try this. Chrome's insane (currently 5GB+) memory hogging is driving me nuts.

Redocbew

Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:13 pm

I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary here. I'm running 79.0.3945.88 on Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

cheesyking

Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:26 am

Maybe I am seeing something like this.

I'm not sure if it's Chrome or Gnome but something on my machine has a massive intermittent memory leak. The machine (not just chrome) has occasionally frozen up for a few seconds over the past week only to come back to normal on its own. When it did this the other day I happened to have the system monitor open and I could see all 32GB of ram getting used then my 15GB swap going, then finally a chrome window closed and reopened on its own and everything came back.

Not sure if the chrome window thing was just coincidence or it was just what got killed when the system ran out of ram.
Fernando!

Your mother ate my dog!

roncat
Gerbil First Class

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:42 pm

Runs fine for me once I shut down the background bitcoin miner and stop clicking on every great ad on the page.

Igor_Kavinski

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:57 pm

Look for memory hogging subframes in Chrome's Task Manager. I freed more than 1GB today just by end tasking all subframes. No adverse effect to report.

Igor_Kavinski

Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:01 pm

cheesyking wrote:
..then finally a chrome window closed and reopened on its own and everything came back.

That's enough of an unusual activity to make my heart stop for a second. Way too suspicious. Windows don't re-open on their own. Check thoroughly for malware/extensions etc.

cheesyking

Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:25 am

Well I tracked down my memory leak and it's nothing to do with chrome. Cutting and pasting a file from a folder inside a fuse mounted fs to another folder inside a fuse mounted fs caused gjs (the gnome shell extension service?) to go nuts. The crazy thing is I don't really use any gnome extensions beyond the standard ubuntu ones.
Fernando!

Your mother ate my dog!