Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

BigMadDrongo
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Distro for old computer?

Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:17 pm

I bought a computer yesterday for £2.50 :D It's a Pentium 90, with I believe a 1gig hard disk, don't know how much RAM. Anyway, I thought this would be the ideal box to mess around with Linux on - maybe with a view to turning it into a Samba fileserver (with a hard disk upgrade obviously!) or something.

So, anyone have suggestions? I could just stick Slack 9.1 on it. Gentoo's one I've been meaning to try out, but I don't think a source distro is quite right for a Pentium :D Is Slack likely to run reasonably (in command line mode, or possibly X with a lightweight WM), or should I look for something lighter?

Despite
Gerbil XP

Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:09 pm

yeah, I think Slack's the best choice. compiled to run on a 486 or better, so the P90 will handle it. and you certainly don't want to put gentoo on there for anything other than a barebones CLI box. X would take days to compile!

muyuubyou
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: London, UK or Tokyo/Yokohama, Japan or Madrid, Spain

Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:15 pm

Slack + fluxbox :D

(second time I post exactly the same thing ;))
no sig

dolemitecomputers
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:39 pm

Or blackbox. :wink:

fooland
Gerbil

Debian

Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:09 pm

Just throw in the absolute minimum in the install...then apt-get the only packages you need...

I wouldn't try to run X if I were you...tho you could (if you try I'd recommend an older less bloated version of X) withs omething REALLY light like twm or fvwm...certainly none of the bloatware that is KDE or GNOME...

But really, depending on what you want this thing to do all you need is the base (which is essentially jsut the common libs and commands...and bash i think)...then just apt-get install sudo and whatever else (apache, samba, bind, exim, ssh) you might need...No need to install all sorts of bloatware that comes with a standard distro if you know exactly what you want :)

-Tim

element
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:57 pm

Debian + Blackbox or Fluxbox or XFCE4
"I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image." -- Stephen Hawking

BigMadDrongo
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:16 pm

I might give Debian a try actually, as I've been meaning to have a look at that for a while. I'm running Slack on my main box (currently getting roughly equal running time with Win2k), so installing Debian on the rust bucket might be more interesting. What's the recommended approach - get the Stable release, then upgrade everything?

LJ
Gerbil Elite

Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:06 am

I'd recommend debian myself. If your machine was a bit faster I'd say gentoo (we're running a celeron 266 on it and it's great). However, compile times may just suck on a P90.

Despite
Gerbil XP

Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:07 am

LJ wrote:
I'd recommend debian myself. If your machine was a bit faster I'd say gentoo (we're running a celeron 266 on it and it's great). However, compile times may just suck on a P90.

are you telling me that compile times don't suck on a celeron 266?!?!?!? you must have the patience of Job.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:55 am

Or distcc. Distcc makes life better.

I used distcc between one Athlon XP box, one P4 box, and one dual PPro box. The PPros never carried their weight in compiles, but the P4 and the Athlon pitched in on each other's work, making Gentoo updating a breeze, and the PPro got a free ride, and held the shared distfiles directory (so for all three machines, each package only got DLed once).

It was a farking lovely little arrangement, I was sad to break it up. I think I'll redo it on my Athlon64+AthlonXP+P4+PPros soon, though. :)

Distributed computing to compile your source distro. It's the Linux/Gentoo way. :)

cRock
Gerbil First Class

Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:41 pm

You might want to give FreeBSD a try. It runs very nice on my Pentium 120.
Tyan Tiger MP | 2 x Athlon 1.2 Ghz
512 MB Crucial Reg ECC DDR | Intel Pro 100
80 GB Seagate Baracuda ATA IV | GF4 Ti 4200
Hercules Muse XL | Hauppauge WinTV
Antec 400 watt PS
all in a Coolermaster ATC 200 running Gentoo

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:45 pm

cRock wrote:
You might want to give FreeBSD a try. It runs very nice on my Pentium 120.
Yeah, FreeBSD is also nice on low spec machines.

Jase
Gerbil In Training

Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:22 pm

Another vote for FreeBSD here. Or, if it definately has to be Linux then try a Gentoo Stage 3 GRP install (make sure you follow the GRP instructions tho -you don't want to be compiling much on a P90 with GCC 3.2.3 :o ) and prelink everything(ish) afterwards for improved loading times.
Really it comes down to how much RAM you've got, anything under 32Meg and you can say goodbye to a GUI in FreeBSD, and 64Meg is the recomended minimum for a Gentoo install.

BigMadDrongo
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:04 pm

Hmmm.

Well, the thing's too old to boot from CD, so I've been trying to boot off floppies. Unfortunately, the Debian 2.4-kernel boot floppy images were apparently written by a team of trained monkeys - it gets into an infinite loop at the "select language for install" stage :roll: The default (2.2-kernel) boot floppies install fine, but the 2.2 kernel apparently doesn't have drivers for my network card (RTL8029 chipset), and when doing a CD install it gets to the "installing packages" stage, then tells me that the 'apt-get' package is corrupted. (After getting this error, I dd'd the CD I was installing from to an iso file, cmp'ed it with the original ISO I'd downloaded - perfect match. The ISO itself I'd md5'ed after downloading it - also perfect match. So the CD is not the issue.)

Slackware 9.1 got halfway through the "A" package series, and then reported that the "kernel" and "kernel-modules" packages were corrupt. I don't know for sure this disk is still OK, but it certainly was fine when I installed my current working Slack system from it.

Anyone know if this kind of problem (I'm guessing the Slack error and the corrupt apt-get error are related) could be caused by an old CD drive being unable to read 700MB CDRs? I don't have any 650MB disks to test it on at the moment.

Anyone have positive experiences installing any of the distros mentioned in this thread from floppies? Am willing to give BSD a try if it's actually possible to install it :evil:

BTW, 16MB of RAM :D I wasn't planning on using any kind of GUI... don't even intend to install X.

muyuubyou
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:21 pm

Your CD drive is dead. Trust me I know the symptoms...

So you'll have to get a floppy with that network adapter and run a network installation. Wish you the best of luck. :D

Now seriously if you can give me more details... ;) I'm just browsing freeBSD's website looking if there's something for you. BTW netBSD works in my Dreamcast... but lacks support for anything beyond stripped servers... (or compile-it-yourself game machines - MAME)
no sig

muyuubyou
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:31 pm

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO885 ... l-pre.html

Looks pretty straightforward to do from a network connection. Now let's hope your network adapter doesn't complain.
no sig

BigMadDrongo
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:39 pm

FTP install would have been ideal a few days ago, but unfortunately I'm going home tomorrow (very fast LAN connection at uni, very slow 56k connection at home :()... Just grabbed the FreeBSD ISOs just in case.

I think I have a spare CD drive sitting around somewhere, so I might try to use that. Otherwise looks like I'll have to learn how to set up an NFS server... :-?

BigMadDrongo
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:25 pm

Going back a bit:
muyuubyou wrote:
Slack + fluxbox

"Stable" release (0.1.14) or "Development" release (0.9.6)? That's quite an impressive version number difference - is the Dev one buggy enough to warrant using the Stable, or does it have enough additional coolness to warrant using it instead?

Anyway, further news (cos I know you were all dying to hear...):

Replaced the CD drive and network card with spares I had lying around, and I was able to successfully install Slackware 9.1. (Figured there wasn't much point installing Debian with only a 56k connection to download the several million updates that I assume would be needed.) Works, boots, runs a few basic apps fine - e.g. sshd and links2. Tried to recompile the kernel to cut out the half a million unnecessary drivers.

# make menuconfig
... { starts building the ncurses menu system - this being a P90, even that's a non-trivial compilation.  Halfway through: }
gcc: Internal Error: bus error.

In other words, it fails when compiling the menu system - I haven't even started the actual kernel compile yet.

Does anyone know anything that could cause an error like that? I have a nasty feeling that the only explanation is that something is deeply FUBAR with the hardware.

yarbo
Gerbil Elite

Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:03 am

run `gcc -v'
<a href=http://www.gentoo.org>Gentoo GNU/Linux</a>