Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

Cyklopz
Gerbil
Topic Author

Linux load capacity and planning

Thu Jan 09, 2003 2:29 pm

Hello,

I have a linux email server (it does more than that) that has been getting overloaded by huge spam floods. It appears that a large list has been seeded with bogus addresses using our domain name. In order to process all the incoming email for virii etc. our server becomes overloaded - say a process load average of 10-24 over a 1-4 hour period.

This machine is a PIII 800mhz with 512ram and 7200rpm hdds. We recently upgraded the size of the drives and resized the partitions. The machine has almost 4gigs of swap space and during the last flood was using about 1gig of it!

Is there any way to gauge capacity when planning an upgrade based on the process load? A rough metric or multiplier? I know the memory usage is partially due to the extreme number of processes and the time it is taking to complete each one. Obviously I hate to buy to much or to little hardware for the upgrade (mostly just to little).

Thanks for any help or information you can provide.

Cyklopz MCSE, A+
Variety is the spice of life...and I like it HOT!

Got dual?

Cyklopz
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Jan 09, 2003 10:13 pm

Come on. Someone has to have enough experience with Linux to give me some idea how to judge how far to upgrade this box. :)

Cyklopz
Variety is the spice of life...and I like it HOT!

Got dual?