Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

element
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:40 pm

This is really weird, it should detect your GF4 perfect and your Monitor too. I've installed like 4 different distros on my laptop (with Radeon M7) and didn't have a single problem with video. I also installed a couple on my desktop computer and didn't have a problem either (except when I tried installing Debian, but that was because of my ignorance :-)).
"I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image." -- Stephen Hawking

morphine
TR Staff

Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:38 pm

Ok... type "startx" or "init 3" in the command prompt (as root) and see if it goes to X (yes, this does sound stupid but maybe it just didn't set your system to auto-start it).

etilena
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:55 pm

Nah.. it still refuses to run. It autoloads X but stops cause of no screen was detected.
*yawn*

jsbach11
Gerbil Elite

Thu Mar 13, 2003 4:52 am

It is a perplexing problem to me too, even though I am not at all a Linux expert. I liked Mandrake 9.0 a lot but switched to Red Hat 8.0 since my research team is using Red Hat and they are mostly from Computer Science backgrounds. I loved how Mandrake allows a person to see what is on other, Windows partitions, and manipulate them, immediately after install.

Nevertheless, Red Hat seems to make the team very happy, and we haven't really gotten to why it does because most of our team has found no problems at all with Mandrake dolphin.

Maybe try RedHat 8.0. Perhaps the installer is running better than Mandrake's. :)

BTW, did you do a disk check to see that the ISOs that you downloaded or burned to CD were not corrupt? With any luck, your problem is one that is easily solved by doing it over again if you downloaded corrupt data (sorry if that's bad news).

etilena
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sat Apr 05, 2003 6:16 am

I am so happy, finally got the penguin to work! Running Red Hat Linux 8.0 on my PC now. Mandrake Linux would fail to detect my monitor, for some strange reason. Red Hat also failed to probe the monitor, but I don't know, its working in front of me now, so I'm happy.

This is good, now I can spend some time learning the new OS. Thanks for everyone's input though, really appreciated. :D
*yawn*

muyuubyou
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: London, UK or Tokyo/Yokohama, Japan or Madrid, Spain

Sat Apr 05, 2003 7:22 am

Nice!
Keep us posted and if you have any problem, find me here or email me if you wish. :)
no sig

etilena
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Mon Apr 07, 2003 2:34 am

Slight problem trying to get NTLDR to load Linux.

I had Linux Mandrake installed before and then changed to RedHat. So I copied the Bootsect.lnx from RedHat (my boot partition is on /hdb1). So when I get the bootup screen, I have the option to choose WinXP and Linux, but when I choose Linux, it loads the Mandrake bootloader so I still can't get into RedHat without a floppy bootdisk.

Any ideas?
*yawn*

muyuubyou
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Apr 07, 2003 2:42 am

Uninstall the bootloader from hda (lilo or grub).
no sig

etilena
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Mon Apr 07, 2003 10:12 am

How do I uninstall the bootloader?

Another question, Pico doesn't seem to come with the RedHat or Mandrake installations, and I don't particularly like VIM. How do I go about installing this?

(really horrible sitting in front of your computer and not knowing how to use it :wink: )
*yawn*

muyuubyou
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Apr 07, 2003 10:23 am

Pico comes usually with pine. Try nano: http://www.nano-editor.org/ It's a GNU version of pico and has a pico compatibility mode.
no sig

muyuubyou
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Apr 07, 2003 10:42 am

How do I uninstall the bootloader?

Ooops sorry didn't see this.

try:
lilo -u deviceName

(I guess it's lilo (AFAIK mandrake's default))

If I recall correctly, you got it at hda (?)
In that case, this should work:

lilo -u /dev/hda
no sig

etilena
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Mon Apr 07, 2003 10:33 pm

I got Nano now, which feels like Pico, so okay there.

Mozilla feels horribly sluggish and doesn't display stuff right (TR has funkified colours and looks weird in it) I tried looking at Phoenix but since its still beta there's no .rpm version of it, and I'd rather learn a bit more before fiddling around with .tar and .gz files.

Is there anyway to do system wide changes without logging onto /root? Everytime I want to install something or change some settings it says my user has no authorization to do it. I know for Windows you can just run the program as admin and it'll work. Is there anything similar for Linux?
*yawn*

muyuubyou
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Apr 08, 2003 2:48 am

To touch system wide configurations, the safer way is to leave that to root...

Anyway, doing a 'su root' or 'su - root' is not so cumbersome. Su-ing as root makes you the "admin". In windows you can do that because it has no security at all by default. That's not a good idea in general in servers.

Some distros allow you install it so you have enough permissions to install almost anything by default. The other solution is to set an autologin as root (but that's something I never use).

Hmm you can browse the web with konqueror or galeon too.
no sig