Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

zer0
Gerbil
Topic Author

Adding a PC to a domain in Fedora 8

Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:12 pm

My Dell Optiplex GX620 dual boots Vista Business 32-bit and Fedora 8 at work, but I can't figure out how to add the machine to the domain in Fedora like I can in Vista.

My knowledge and experience with linux is general is currently limited, but ultimately I'd just like to be able to access network shares and printers while using Fedora at work.
I think the vast majority of people who tell you they have a virus actually mean 'I keep my pictures in the system32 folder and occasionally delete things at random'.

"it boots up so fast the desktop icons fly right off the screen..."

bitvector
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Adding a PC to a domain in Fedora 8

Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:55 am

So mounting a Windows share would be something like this:
mount -t cifs  //(hostname or IP)/folder /mnt/folder -o user=whatever,password=whatever,domain=whatever
You need to do this as root. This will mount a share at the location /mnt/folder (so when you go in that directory, you'll be accessing the share you mounted). Obviously you'll need to first create a directory to mount it in named whatever you want (/mnt/whatever or /net/whatever). Now this is a non-permanent thing for testing. After you reboot, it won't come back. To make it permanent, you need to do add a line to the end of your /etc/fstab that looks like this:

//(hostname or IP)/folder   /mnt/folder      cifs   username=whatever,password=whatever,domain=whatever 0 0
Basically the line looks similar to the mount command, except the filesystem type comes third, there's no "-t" and there are two extra zeros after the normal stuff.

You might also want to make the options string in the entry look like this:

domain=whatever,credentials=/etc/cifs_credentials

Then you could make a separate file, /etc/cifs_credentials with the following inside:
username=whatever
password=whatever

This allows it to read the password and username from a separate file. Then you would "chmod 600 /etc/cifs_credentials". That will let you store your password a bit more securely, since normally everyone can read your /etc/fstab file and you'd have to put your password right in there. chmod 600 changes the file permissions so only the owner (root) can read and write it.

Caveats:
* You have to use a regular hostname or IP, not a Windows filesharing style name (NetBIOS names/LMHOSTS/etc. -- usually these names are in all caps like MYWINDOWSCOMPUTATOR). You could add a service to resolve those names, but normally they don't mean anything to Linux.
* You may have to tweak permissions. Linux doesn't have a natural way to map its user permissions to Windows mounts, so you might want to add uid=something,gid=something to your mount options. That will let you set which Linux user or group "owns" the files. You'll probably want to set it to your regular user account's uid and gid. Run the "id" command to find that out (as you, not root). Without those options, the files will probably be readable by your normal user, but you probably won't be able to write to them or create new files unless you are root.

Now, for printer sharing, it should be fairly simple if you're using CUPS. CUPS accepts printer URIs like this following:
smb://username:password@workgroup/(hostname or IP)/printer

That should tell it to use Samba to access a Windows printer.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Adding a PC to a domain in Fedora 8

Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:56 am

Here's a page for integrating Ubuntu into Active Directory, to the extent of also using your AD user account to log in:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Activ ... nbindHowto
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x