Gentoo is the Best!

Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:31 am

At running BIND anyway.
http://new.isc.org/proj/dnsperf/OStest.html

Take that FreeBSD! :wink:
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Re: Gentoo is the Best!

Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:49 am

Best at being a DNS server?

Okay, not a problem for good number of users here.

If you want build a heavy-duty DNS server and want best OS for it. Gentoo is the choice.

How often do admins outside of datacenters and major ISP have to build a heavy-duty DNS server? Not very often at all.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

nightmorph
Gerbil First Class

Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:14 am

--
Last edited by nightmorph on Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:11 pm

Krogoth wrote:
Best at being a DNS server?

Okay, not a problem for good number of users here.

If you want build a heavy-duty DNS server and want best OS for it. Gentoo is the choice.

How often do admins outside of datacenters and major ISP have to build a heavy-duty DNS server? Not very often at all.

It seems to me that this test indicates that all the performance tweaks that Gentoo has can actually offer something. No more can anybody say it isn't worth the effort.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:21 pm

titan wrote:
It seems to me that this test indicates that all the performance tweaks that Gentoo has can actually offer something. No more can anybody say it isn't worth the effort.

That's really, really stretching things. Performance isn't exactly the prime concern here or most anywhere, really - maintainability and reliability matter more. A couple of percent here and there isn't really significant. We're only talking about a 6.5% difference in a limit that, in operation, we should never approach anyway. The extra boost is nice and all, but I wouldn't call it more than a tiebreaker. Whether it's "worth the effort" is yet another consideration that this doesn't address at all. If the other operating systems do the job sufficiently and require less effort to administer well, then the effort is hardly definitively "worth it". I'd be far more inclined to go with a better-tested/validated and more mature platform.