Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

brain frog
Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: what kind of linux/unix do you use

Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:57 pm

I liked the simplicity of the usb ports its just 2 connectors for the 5v current and 2 for the data, i always thought that it would be best to be able to power almost everything directly from the computers psu that is connected to the pc, that way we could justify buying a psu with such a high wattage.

I looked into the link titan put up, i then decided to change to ubuntu as it had better support and i noticed some instability in mint, honestly most of it seemed to reffer to the file i was using or the same operating system, i assume its changed a bit in 4 years, how do i get the deb packages or make it into it? i cant get the file to work using that method.

my big problem is i am dealing with a file called Fast8x0_3-0-6.tgz that was made as a small afterthought by a company called sagem i am not working on much it may be a good excuse to get a new one or even get fibre optic broadband.

I assume /etc/ppp/peers/adsl reffers to computer filesystem then into /etc/ppp/peers/adsl ?

Thanks for the tip i will look up how to log in as root in a moment.

Is there any alternative method of doing this or some kind of standardised modem driver for linux?

Sorry if i sound a bit daft or things seem confused i am not feeling well

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:29 pm

Seriously, just get a router, plug it into your modem, and your computer into the router. It'll work a lot better and no screwing around with their crappy afterthought Linux driver.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

brain frog
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:04 am

bthylafh wrote:
Seriously, just get a router, plug it into your modem, and your computer into the router. It'll work a lot better and no screwing around with their crappy afterthought Linux driver.

Sadly my linux project is failing and i admit you are very much CORRECT it is not worth the time it is taking to fix it.

i would still like to say i will be using Ubuntu, despite of this problem that would most likely hit any of them it seems stable and moderately easy to use and well built.

thank you everyone