Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Chrome for Linux

Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:48 pm

So it looks like Google released a Chrome beta for Linux recently. Maybe I just missed the announcement, but it seems like it was not publicized much. I'm trying it out at work today (and will try it at home tonight as well). So far I like it better than Firefox...

Pre-packaged binaries for the major desktop distros (Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, SUSE) are available for download from Google.

Edit: So there have been Linux beta releases of Chrome since sometime in December? Guess I haven't been paying attention...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

iamajai
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Chrome for Linux

Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:04 pm

I've been using it for months now on the Xubuntu installation on my eeePC 700. I must say it works great, no complaints and I enjoy the reduced screen space usage by the UI compared to Opera or Firefox.
Acer AO521, Asus EEE2G, and an e6300 (EP45-DS3L, 4GB Corsair, 320GB 7200.10, EVGA GT250, Corsair VX450W and Samsung 2043BW)

Blazex
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:06 pm

they did it back around late novemberish, been using on my ubuntu distro, quite better than firefox on nix,as far as it seems, ff can be a pain sometimes
probably drinking some tea.

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:12 pm

I've been using Chromium (updated daily) available via http://ubuntu-tweak.com/.

cheesyking

Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:13 pm

starts MUCH faster than firefox on my machines, though I've only set it as default on my netbook. (FF was unusable with my ssd aspire one)
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!

Blazex
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:15 pm

that and it uses less resources on average, or less intensive to run if you want :)
so better for slower systems

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:16 pm

Yeah, Firefox on Ubuntu 9.10 (what I run at home) seems sluggish. Slow to start, slow to shut down, just generally kind of bogged down. And that's on a quad-core Phenom! I think some of the slowness may have appeared with the last update Ubuntu pushed out.

I will be trying Chrome on that system as soon as I get home.

cheesyking

Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:42 am

I'd say the only problem with chrome for me is that there are a few websites I need that refuse to let me use it... BBC iplayer doesn't seem to work and my stupid bank just tells me to use IE or FF. Maybe I should just count myself lucky they don't block me because I'm not running windows :roll:
Fernando!

Your mother ate my dog!

Shining Arcanine
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:17 pm

just brew it! wrote:
So it looks like Google released a Chrome beta for Linux recently. Maybe I just missed the announcement, but it seems like it was not publicized much. I'm trying it out at work today (and will try it at home tonight as well). So far I like it better than Firefox...

Pre-packaged binaries for the major desktop distros (Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, SUSE) are available for download from Google.

Edit: So there have been Linux beta releases of Chrome since sometime in December? Guess I haven't been paying attention...

I have been using Chrome on Gentoo Linux for a while. It works nicely and is faster than Firefox, but ad blocking is a bit of a problem. Either you deal with annoying advertisements, or you install an addon that will hide advertisements shortly after they load, which is annoying in a subliminal message kind of way.

A patch was recently added to Chrome that should fix that issue, but it will probably be a few months before it translates into ad-blocking addons that do actual content blocking rather than content hiding.
Disclaimer: I over-analyze everything, so try not to be offended if I over-analyze something you wrote.

Blazex
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:22 pm

havent had a problem with adblock plus, on either FF or Chrome on linux, everything just runs :D

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:14 am

Just a friendly reminder to steer clear of the forums' rule 12. We are OK so far but let's not get in to specifics.

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:30 am

Shining Arcanine wrote:
I have been using Chrome on Gentoo Linux for a while. It works nicely and is faster than Firefox, but ad blocking is a bit of a problem. Either you deal with annoying advertisements, or you install an addon that will hide advertisements shortly after they load, which is annoying in a subliminal message kind of way.

Chrome or Chromium? I haven't gotten around to trying the Chrome ebuild on bugs.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.

Shining Arcanine
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:05 am

titan wrote:
Shining Arcanine wrote:

Chrome or Chromium? I haven't gotten around to trying the Chrome ebuild on bugs.

Chromium actually. I cannot tell the difference between Chrome and Chromium. I have no idea why there are different brandings.
Disclaimer: I over-analyze everything, so try not to be offended if I over-analyze something you wrote.

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:25 pm

Shining Arcanine wrote:
titan wrote:
Shining Arcanine wrote:

Chromium actually. I cannot tell the difference between Chrome and Chromium. I have no idea why there are different brandings.

Chromium is an open source flavor of Chrome. So, Chromium is like Chrome. Chromium is not Chrome. For all that's worth.

Shining Arcanine
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:47 am

notfred wrote:
Just a friendly reminder to steer clear of the forums' rule 12. We are OK so far but let's not get in to specifics.

I had no idea Tech Report had that rule. Thankfully, the ad blocker for chrome does not have content hiding, so there is no need for links. :)

Anyway, I just installed the latest development channel version of Google Chromium, which identifies itself as 5.0.335.0 (0). According to ZDNet, an older development channel version included support for content blocking, but that has not filtered down to any of the ad blockers available for Google Chrome. Ad blocking in the bleeding edge version seems to make stuff disappear faster. Stuff disappears so fast that after a few page loads from Anandtech, I could not tell that there were any advertisements at all. Tech Report's main page still has the ads appear only to disappear in some sub-second time after their appearance, but most of them do not appear at all and by the point all of the ads disappear, Chromium seems to still be loading the HTML from TR (that is how fast it is), so I can live with that.

I am going to probably switch from Firefox to Chromium soon. Chromium has full Acid 3 support, its Javascript engine is faster than Firefox's javascript engine and since each tab is in its own process, with each one having a separate instance of Chromium's javascript interpreter, I can have as many tabs open as I want and the performance of the tab in which I am doing stuff does not degrade at all. The main thing keeping me from switching at this point is that Chromium does not load PDFs correctly.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:09 am

Hit one annoying issue with Chrome yesterday. On Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (which is what's running on my desktop at work) Chrome won't print. No matter what printer I try to print to (or if I print to PDF file), I just get a single blank page. It prints fine on 9.10 (what I'm running at home).

The work box will probably get upgraded to Ubuntu 10.04 LTS shortly after it comes out; if there isn't a simple solution to the printing issue, I can probably live with it until then. I really don't need to make hardcopies of web pages all that much; heck, it took me 4 days to notice that printing didn't work! If I really need to print something, I can still reopen the page in Firefox.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:40 am

Another bug: SVG images which are larger than the browser window don't give you any scroll bars.

On the up side, Ubuntu apparently tracks the Chrome beta in their repository, so the normal Ubuntu software update tool notifies you of (and is capable of installing) new releases.

Shining Arcanine
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:45 am

just brew it! wrote:
Hit one annoying issue with Chrome yesterday. On Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (which is what's running on my desktop at work) Chrome won't print. No matter what printer I try to print to (or if I print to PDF file), I just get a single blank page. It prints fine on 9.10 (what I'm running at home).

The work box will probably get upgraded to Ubuntu 10.04 LTS shortly after it comes out; if there isn't a simple solution to the printing issue, I can probably live with it until then. I really don't need to make hardcopies of web pages all that much; heck, it took me 4 days to notice that printing didn't work! If I really need to print something, I can still reopen the page in Firefox.

You should consider trying Gentoo Linux. It keeps the development channel sources in its equivalent of Ubuntu's repository, so its package manager is capable of installing the bleeding edge releases of Chromium. The only downside is that chromium takes an hour to compile on my Core Duo T2400, but it is possible to install upgrades overnight. You also would need to add chromium's signature to the /etc/portage/packages.unmask file to install such bleeding edge software, as Gentoo has three levels of software, stable, testing (soft masked) and masked (hard masked).

Software in the testing tree is software that has been declared stable by the upstream developers, but has not finished being examined by Gentoo's package maintainers, however, they have found nothing wrong with it. Software in the stable tree is software that was in the testing tree, but received the approval of Gentoo's package maintainers. Software that is hard masked is software either not considered stable by upstream or software that the maintainer found to cause significant problems on Gentoo. It is usually the former.

At the moment, I have Gentoo's package manager configured to install software from its testing tree while installing nvidia's drivers, opera and chromium from its masked tree. This setup works very well for me, especially since newer software releases tend to fix more bugs than they introduce. With this setup, I have the benefit of being able to use software that will not be available in Ubuntu until at least Ubuntu 10.10.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:27 pm

There's a fine balance between getting the latest and greatest, and being too bleeding edge. The non-LTS Ubuntu releases push that envelope already...

Turns out that the Ubuntu repository tracks the Chrome betas pretty closely; I had installed from the .deb available on Google's site as of about a week ago; today Ubuntu's update tool pulled in and installed a new version already. There have been other occasional printing issues on 8.04 LTS, so I suspect this problem is more with the Ubuntu 8.04 LTS release than with Chrome.

While I might be willing to give Gentoo a try at home, cutting over to it at work is probably not going to happen. All of our non-Windows systems at the office are Debian or Ubuntu (which is a Debian derivative); introducing another distro into the mix is probably unwise. Corporate IT is iffy enough about us using Linux in the first place! :lol:

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:12 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Turns out that the Ubuntu repository tracks the Chrome betas pretty closely

Further investigation reveals that this is incorrect. What Chrome actually does is install their own repository into your apt configuration, so that Ubuntu checks the Google repository for updates.

Shining Arcanine
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:42 pm

just brew it! wrote:
There's a fine balance between getting the latest and greatest, and being too bleeding edge. The non-LTS Ubuntu releases push that envelope already...

Turns out that the Ubuntu repository tracks the Chrome betas pretty closely; I had installed from the .deb available on Google's site as of about a week ago; today Ubuntu's update tool pulled in and installed a new version already. There have been other occasional printing issues on 8.04 LTS, so I suspect this problem is more with the Ubuntu 8.04 LTS release than with Chrome.

While I might be willing to give Gentoo a try at home, cutting over to it at work is probably not going to happen. All of our non-Windows systems at the office are Debian or Ubuntu (which is a Debian derivative); introducing another distro into the mix is probably unwise. Corporate IT is iffy enough about us using Linux in the first place! :lol:

The issues I experienced with Ubuntu Linux when I used it usually fell into two categories, which generally hold for all binary distributions. The first is that the software it provided, even the popular software such as Firefox, was out of date by the time they provided it. Because of this, it often contained bugs that had long since been fixed. That forced me to fix the issues myself which usually involved compiling my newer versions of the software because the issues I encountered were issues that I never would have encountered had Ubuntu made an effort to keep the software they provided up to date, instead of waiting for someone to report some serious issue in the current version to them to get them to "back-port" upstream updates that had long since been declared stable by upstream.

That lead to the second problem. When you compile software, there is a very important concept known as binary compatibility and ensuring binary compatibility is always a problem when you make new packages. Binary compatibility is complicated by the fact that software has dependencies, where they rely on x version of y software and if that requirement is not met, then things will break and when you graph the tree of software dependencies, you need to consider this issue for each and every piece of software you have to update. This can very quickly make the life of someone who needs 1 thing updated hell on earth, because Ubuntu makes no effort to help you with this and their community actively discourages using anything other than their package manager. While this is the case for all Linux distribution communities, the glacial pace of Ubuntu software updates made this a particularly vexing issue.

The reason for the backports being done on a case by case basis is because of issues that usually manifest themselves in configuration file changes, which are expected to be handled automatically by Ubuntu's package manager, so a minor change that alters a configuration file in a way that is not compatible with how it worked before cannot be done without testing and validation. Doing this yourself is a nightmare because there is nothing to tell you that things changed aside from the changelog and the source code.

Gentoo does all of the dependency resolution for you so anything that would break is queued to be recompiled along with your updates when you do them. Any caveats, such as configuration file updates, are usually presented to you (configuration file updates are always presented) for you to fix after the updates are finished and fixing them requires doing extremely simple things (like running the tools they give you) that are difficult to automate with scripts because the scripts do not know what your intentions are for how things should work.

Furthermore, Gentoo is not bleeding edge as far people involved with it are concerned. The upstream developers consider all software Gentoo has in its stable and testing trees to be stable software and not much software exists for Gentoo that is masked (although there are overlays to get around this) because Gentoo's developers do not have the time to keep up with beta versions of more than ten thousand packages. In addition, the Exherbo Linux distribution was made by people who believed Gentoo was too mainstream, which is contrary to the notion that it is bleeding edge.

With that said, I really recommend that you try Gentoo Linux at home. Once you try it at home, you will want it at work. Not to mention, although I do not recommend it, if you installed GDM and Gnome on Gentoo, it could take years before corporate IT realizes you switched distributions.

bitvector
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:53 pm

just brew it! wrote:
While I might be willing to give Gentoo a try at home, cutting over to it at work is probably not going to happen.

Also, Gentoo's model of how a distro works is exactly what you don't want for maintaining a large set of systems in a work environment. The benefit of custom-compiled packages and rolling releases is mostly unrealized in that context and it becomes a liability. In a work environment, you generally want every machine running the same binaries so they are uniform and interchangeable and you want a very conservative update paradigm. That's what RHEL and Debian stable follow. You don't want every machine to be its own unique snowflake, which is what happens when you run a rolling-release, compiled distro like Gentoo. Also, if you're constantly compiling updates on N machines, you're wasting a huge amount of resources. Sure, you could build standardized packages in one place for all of your Gentoo machines with the same flags and push them out, but then you're just doing the exact same thing that a binary distro's release engineers do except you're replicating all the effort of binary distros yourself.

Shining Arcanine
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:49 pm

bitvector wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
While I might be willing to give Gentoo a try at home, cutting over to it at work is probably not going to happen.

Also, Gentoo's model of how a distro works is exactly what you don't want for maintaining a large set of systems in a work environment. The benefit of custom-compiled packages and rolling releases is mostly unrealized in that context and it becomes a liability. In a work environment, you generally want every machine running the same binaries so they are uniform and interchangeable and you want a very conservative update paradigm. That's what RHEL and Debian stable follow. You don't want every machine to be its own unique snowflake, which is what happens when you run a rolling-release, compiled distro like Gentoo. Also, if you're constantly compiling updates on N machines, you're wasting a huge amount of resources. Sure, you could build standardized packages in one place for all of your Gentoo machines with the same flags and push them out, but then you're just doing the exact same thing that a binary distro's release engineers do except you're replicating all the effort of binary distros yourself.

Actually, you only need to compile it once to install it on all computers and you can use distcc to distribute the compilation across all systems that would be receiving the update. A K-12 school does this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfT9zMo0WHw

You can read instructions for how to install the software that is mentioned in the YouTube video at Gentoo's website:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/distcc.xml

There is also software available for enterprise management. Although I have not used it myself and have no plans to use it, here is a link:

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/scire/requirements.xml

Of course, I would imagine that this would only be done on just brew it!'s machine at work, so none of this is necessary, especially if your main interest is in having the most recent version of google chrome.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:56 pm

bitvector wrote:
Also, Gentoo's model of how a distro works is exactly what you don't want for maintaining a large set of systems in a work environment.

Well... it's not exactly a "large set of systems" (yet); the Software Engineering group has mostly migrated to Linux, but everyone else is still on Windows. I'm already the "odd man out" in that I'm running Ubuntu; our in-house Linux guru is a Debian guy, so that's what most of the Linux boxes run.

Yes, I could switch... but I'd lose some of the benefit of the expertise of our in-house Linux guru (he's been quite helpful so far, since I'm still running a Debian derivative). And most of my non-Debian/Ubuntu Linux experience has been with Redhat/Fedora... not sure I want to come up the learning curve on a third Linux ecosystem just yet.

Shining Arcanine
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:51 pm

just brew it! wrote:
bitvector wrote:
Also, Gentoo's model of how a distro works is exactly what you don't want for maintaining a large set of systems in a work environment.

Well... it's not exactly a "large set of systems" (yet); the Software Engineering group has mostly migrated to Linux, but everyone else is still on Windows. I'm already the "odd man out" in that I'm running Ubuntu; our in-house Linux guru is a Debian guy, so that's what most of the Linux boxes run.

Yes, I could switch... but I'd lose some of the benefit of the expertise of our in-house Linux guru (he's been quite helpful so far, since I'm still running a Debian derivative). And most of my non-Debian/Ubuntu Linux experience has been with Redhat/Fedora... not sure I want to come up the learning curve on a third Linux ecosystem just yet.

The Gentoo forums are full of people who are extremely helpful. People there usually manage to solve other people's problems for them quickly.

etilena
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:05 pm

Just discovered Chrome/Chromium for Linux probably a couple of weeks ago. The performance is like night and day on my Eee PC, with Firefox being very sluggish as it is slow to startup, and it pauses when scrolling up and down pages. Using the .deb package from Google for Ubuntu, and did a binary install of Chromium from the user repositories for Arch Linux. Performance is very snappy on Atom hardware I'd say.

All the versions I've installed so far seem to be compatible with extensions and I use Xmarks just to synchronise my bookmarks across computers.

Just a side query. Anyone here who's both tried Arch Linux and Gentoo, and which do you prefer?
*yawn*

bitvector
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:20 pm

etilena wrote:
Just a side query. Anyone here who's both tried Arch Linux and Gentoo, and which do you prefer?
All of the Gentoo people I know moved to Arch and then most of them eventually ditched Arch after experiencing continual breakage and boners. I tried out Arch for maybe ten months on my laptop and netbook. I liked it initially, but I got sick of stuff breaking on every update. The last straw was when updating Python from 2.5 to 2.6 caused pacman to remove system's init scripts. That hosed the system and I got rid of Arch. That same day another friend of mine tried a large system update (~600MB of packages) and pacman core-dumped during the update, hosing the system. He switched to Ubuntu and I went back to Debian on our respective laptops.

On the topic of Chromium, I started trying it out as my primary browser in the Sept.-Oct. timeframe and haven't looked back since then. It's night and day in terms of stability and speed. Even at that time, the daily builds of Chromium were stable enough to use and give a better experience than Firefox. I had a few plugins I really liked from Firefox, so I hacked up a reasonable facsimile of the ones I couldn't live without as Chrome extensions and now I'm largely pleased. Since it is a relatively young browser, some of my extensions where hindered by bugs in Chromium, but the most irking one eventually got fixed (after about 4 months of back and forth on the bug tracker).

Shining Arcanine
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:45 pm

etilena wrote:
Just discovered Chrome/Chromium for Linux probably a couple of weeks ago. The performance is like night and day on my Eee PC, with Firefox being very sluggish as it is slow to startup, and it pauses when scrolling up and down pages. Using the .deb package from Google for Ubuntu, and did a binary install of Chromium from the user repositories for Arch Linux. Performance is very snappy on Atom hardware I'd say.

All the versions I've installed so far seem to be compatible with extensions and I use Xmarks just to synchronise my bookmarks across computers.

That side query is probably for another thread. My attempt at advertising Gentoo was related to the fact that JBI wanted more recent chromium releases.

By the way, while I have not tried Arch, it should suffer from the same ailments that all binary distributions have, although to a greater extent because it tries to stay more up to date than other binary distributions. bitvector explains the downsides of a binary distribution fairly well.

On the topic of chromium, with one exception where I wanted to see if something was not working because of a chromium bug, I used firefox, but I have been using Chromium all day and it is fairly nice. The issue I was having was not because of any flaw in chromium (it was poor website design by my credit card issuer). Chromium still needs content blocking though... after a day of using it, I stumbled across a site that had a video advertisement and having the audio going in the background was annoying. I ended up muting the speakers.

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:17 am

Shining Arcanine wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
bitvector wrote:

The Gentoo forums are full of people who are extremely helpful. People there usually manage to solve other people's problems for them quickly.

And we're full of people who are ready to convert other Linux users to the true path of Gentoo.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:48 am

Heh... and our Linux guy at work has just spent a year convincing me that Debian is the "one true path". :lol:

(I used to run Redhat/Fedora...)