Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

Madman
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Ubuntu 12.04LTS released

Sat May 26, 2012 2:30 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Are you referring to the AMD proprietary drivers that are repackaged and distributed by Canonical (Ubuntu), or the ones you download direct from AMD?

It has been a few years since I had an nVidia card in one of my Linux systems, but IIRC their proprietary drivers had pretty much the same issue.

From AMD website. Nvidia doesn't seem to have such problems, works like a charm on my primary PC all the time, zero issues so far. Ok, there was some thinkering with multimonitor support initilly, but after that, smooth sailing.
Core 2 Duo E6300, MSI P45 NEO-F, Club 3D GTX 260, 4Gb DDR2-800Mhz, Audigy X-Fi Fatal1ty Champ1on ed., 0.5Tb+1Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.12, 630W AXP, Samsung SyncMaster BX2450, ViewSonic VP171b

Madman

Sat May 26, 2012 2:40 pm

I hate the situation with Linux currently.

10.04LTS with old GUI is awesome, but it's morally outdated, has some minor rough edges, 12.04 LTS has all the polish and feels a lot more commercial quality, but Unity is a deffinite showstopper once I start working instead of browsing web. And KDE seems to bee too smart and too gadgety for me, I want very windows like interface Desktop icons, close, minimize maximize in top right, menus snapped to Windows, logical guidelines in explorer/nautilus, and taskbar that's not stuck to left side of 3200pix+ wide screen.

I was almost ready to fully switch to Linux, but now I'm not so sure anymore. Well, maybe Win8 will be so bad that unity will feel like a gold :roll:

Oh, and I'm still having issues with videos even on latest versions. My camcoder writes at 1920x1080@60fps AVCHD, and Linux is not even able to show slideshow. ffdplay is the best, but still unusable. Situation in Windows land is a lot better.
Core 2 Duo E6300, MSI P45 NEO-F, Club 3D GTX 260, 4Gb DDR2-800Mhz, Audigy X-Fi Fatal1ty Champ1on ed., 0.5Tb+1Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.12, 630W AXP, Samsung SyncMaster BX2450, ViewSonic VP171b

Washer
Gerbil First Class

Sat May 26, 2012 3:35 pm

Madman, use Cinnamon.

moresmarterthanspock
Gerbil First Class

Sat May 26, 2012 3:47 pm

If your not set on a desktop that requires GPU acceleration, I would recommend MATE over Cinnamon. Stability-wise, MATE is more mature(being forked from Gnome 2, than Cinnamon is. If your into the latest and greatest, I would definitely choose Cinnamon, but for production, stability, and configuration options, I recommend MATE. To install MATE, open your terminal and type the following commands:

sudo add-apt-repository “deb http://packages.mate-desktop.org/repo/ubuntu precise main”

sudo apt-get install mate-archive-keyring

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install mate-core

sudo apt-get install mate-desktop-environment

Or, to install cinnamon:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install cinnamon
Change sucks

codedivine
Gerbil Elite

Sat May 26, 2012 4:03 pm

Washer wrote:
Madman, use Cinnamon.

Taken out of context, this will be an awesome movie or book title.

moresmarterthanspock
Gerbil First Class

Sat May 26, 2012 4:18 pm

Stop Villian, or I will use my Orgasmorader!
Change sucks

BobbinThreadbare
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue May 29, 2012 1:49 pm

Ok, so I might be stupid, but after a few hours I still have been unable to find the old menu system. This hasn't been a problem yet, but I'd like to be able to use it.

The lack of being able to move things around on the Unity panel is also really annoying now. Even Windows is more configurable than this. This is my biggest gripe. I want close/min/restore on the right.

Also, I used to have an applet in gnome that I could monitor the CPU frequency with and I can't find similar program to do so with Unity. This isn't a huge problem, but it is slightly annoying.

Madman

Tue May 29, 2012 1:54 pm

BobbinThreadbare wrote:
Ok, so I might be stupid, but after a few hours I still have been unable to find the old menu system. This hasn't been a problem yet, but I'd like to be able to use it.

The lack of being able to move things around on the Unity panel is also really annoying now. Even Windows is more configurable than this. This is my biggest gripe. I want close/min/restore on the right.

Also, I used to have an applet in gnome that I could monitor the CPU frequency with and I can't find similar program to do so with Unity. This isn't a huge problem, but it is slightly annoying.

Menu is in the top bar, usually 1000pix away from where you perform actions, like selection.

You can use gconf like tool to move minimize, maximize, close, but again. right side of the top bar is already taken, so for maximized windows it looks ugly. My advice is to just get used to the button location in top left, like it or not. Or go Mint.

Same problem, haven't found the solution yet, but the 12.04 LTS is going to be erased in favor of Mint in a few days.

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Tue May 29, 2012 2:06 pm

GIYF. Try this, if you don't mind the button looking ugly and being on the wrong side. If you end up liking it, create a startup application to launch it every time so you don't have to start it manually after you log in.

True that. The buttons on the left I just had to get used to, but it would be nice to change the panel bits around. For the record, if there are any pieces you don't like and don't use (the calendar, the messaging menu...) just google "Ubuntu 12.04 uninstall [component name]" and it'll tell you which package to get rid of.

BobbinThreadbare wrote:

Lemme google that for you.
Krogoth wrote:
Care to enlightenment me?

BobbinThreadbare
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue May 29, 2012 2:35 pm

grantmeaname wrote:
True that. The buttons on the left I just had to get used to, but it would be nice to change the panel bits around. For the record, if there are any pieces you don't like and don't use (the calendar, the messaging menu...) just google "Ubuntu 12.04 uninstall [component name]" and it'll tell you which package to get rid of.

I like all the stuff that's there, I just want to move them around and add more things.

Silly me, I searched the Ubuntu Software center for cpu frequency, and nothing promising was listed.

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Tue May 29, 2012 2:48 pm

Yeah, I found something in software center and it turned out to just be a nonfunctioning bug/holdover from the version I upgraded from.

Jupiter is really great for power management, by the way (IIRC it's not in the software center, you'll have to add the ppa like you do for the indicator). I'll have to check out the indicator when I get home, though, since Jupiter can control power plans (like Windows 7's Balanced, Performance, and Power Saver) but not display the frequency.
Krogoth wrote:

Madman

Thu May 31, 2012 4:03 pm

Unity workflow:

1 ) I need to erase DVD RW to burn Maya ISO
2 ) Right click disc, nothing, no mount point on desktop
3 ) Type "Erase" in launcher - nothing
4 ) Type "Disc" in launcher - brasero, ok, this is a CD/DVD burning application, we are on a right track
5 ) Create project 1/2/3/4/5.. - nope, I need erase, where is the erase option? none?
6 ) Off to forums we go
7 ) Google says it's under "Tools"
8 ) WTH? What "Tools"
9 ) Oh, riiiiight, the fancy tools over 1000pix that appear where you would least expect, and only when you hover mouse over it
10 ) Got it, it was so obvious, wasn't it?

Perfect 8)

BobbinThreadbare
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu May 31, 2012 4:12 pm

I'm surprised that brasero wouldn't be smart enough to erase it when you chose to burn, or have an "erase and burn" option.

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Thu May 31, 2012 5:08 pm

I'm surprised you've been using the OS for weeks and you haven't figured out that when you mouse over the top bar the menu appears.
Krogoth wrote:

BobbinThreadbare
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu May 31, 2012 5:22 pm

grantmeaname wrote:
I'm surprised you've been using the OS for weeks and you haven't figured out that when you mouse over the top bar the menu appears.

I think there has been a huge miscommunication. When I first asked, it was about the traditional desktop menus. Not about application specific menus. I found those quickly and that seems to be what I've been directed towards in this thread.

Madman

Thu May 31, 2012 5:30 pm

grantmeaname wrote:

I've been using this OS only for web browsing via Firefox, and it's going to be replaced with Mint today. For productivity work I just can't stand it, I had troubles with 11.10, I really hoped 12.04 LTS will do, but I'm sorry it does not, for me.

I know the menus are there, but they never feel natural. You look at the app, you see what it does, you have no idea you have to hover away to top left corner to see if it maybe does something else as well. Maybe there is no menu at all? Googling felt more natural that accessing often used feature the "right" way. IMHO, that's a signal that something is wrong.

And there is no simple way to switch to desktop. Alt+Tab is the only way I have found.

tesmar
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu May 31, 2012 5:35 pm

Madman wrote:
grantmeaname wrote:

I've been using this OS only for web browsing via Firefox, and it's going to be replaced with Mint today. For productivity work I just can't stand it, I had troubles with 11.10, I really hoped 12.04 LTS will do, but I'm sorry it does not, for me.

I know the menus are there, but they never feel natural. You look at the app, you see what it does, you have no idea you have to hover away to top left corner to see if it maybe does something else as well. Maybe there is no menu at all? Googling felt more natural that accessing often used feature the "right" way. IMHO, that's a signal that something is wrong.

And there is no simple way to switch to desktop. Alt+Tab is the only way I have found.

I've made the switch (worked out the SQL issues) and am using Cinnamon. Love it.
The world is indeed full of peril. But there is much that is fair. And though in all lands love is mingled with grief, it grows the greater. J. R. R. Tolkien

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu May 31, 2012 6:46 pm

Guys. If you don't like Unity then install MATE/KDE/GNOME. You don't really need to reinstall the whole OS. Hell I have MATE, Cinnamon, Gnome3, and KDE on my LinuxMint 13 install. Had fun trying them all out but I primarily use KDE.
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

SecretSquirrel

Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:57 pm

A minor thread necro here, but I just had the opportunity to install Kubuntu 12.04 on a VM on my laptop at work. I'm not sure I get the whole "activities" thing and I still find most of the desktop widgets useless, but it's really not much different than 10.04 and is quite usable at 19x12 fullscreen in a Virtual Box VM. I'mthinking I may go install Ubuntu as well, just to "see" Unity. Of course I've never been a Gnome fan either...

--SS

Madman

Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:34 pm

SecretSquirrel wrote:
A minor thread necro here, but I just had the opportunity to install Kubuntu 12.04 on a VM on my laptop at work. I'm not sure I get the whole "activities" thing and I still find most of the desktop widgets useless, but it's really not much different than 10.04 and is quite usable at 19x12 fullscreen in a Virtual Box VM. I'mthinking I may go install Ubuntu as well, just to "see" Unity. Of course I've never been a Gnome fan either...

--SS

After that I would recommend trying the Mint. It runs as a live DVD, and is a fully functional OS as such.

IMHO, Mint has a very high chance of success in replacing Ubuntu/Kubuntu and Windows 8 Metro puke, as my primary OS. I will have to keep a spare partition for Windows 7 in case I need to use few rare apps though.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:42 pm

Mint seems pretty decent, but I'm told that one doesn't upgrade from release to release; one instead does a backup/wipe/reinstall. I'm not a fan of that.

There's the LMDE rolling-release, however it doesn't get regular updates except for the every-few-months great big blob of many packages.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Madman

Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:43 pm

bthylafh wrote:
Mint seems pretty decent, but I'm told that one doesn't upgrade from release to release; one instead does a backup/wipe/reinstall. I'm not a fan of that.

There's the LMDE rolling-release, however it doesn't get regular updates except for the every-few-months great big blob of many packages.

With all the stuff that gets accumulated, like kerenel binaries, configs, etc., I still find it easier to copy .someapp files from home folder to a new installation, and redo a clean install. Never trusted the update procedure in Windows or Linux.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:25 am

bthylafh wrote:

I tend to do a wipe and reinstall when I upgrade anyway, even though Ubuntu supports release upgrades. With Linux's separation of user and system stuff it tends to be fairly painless. Migrate /home, /var/www (if you're running a web server), and your MySQL data directory (if you have any database-driven apps), and you're usually in pretty good shape. Any apps/servers that are still missing or mis-configured are generally pretty obvious and easy to fix.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Madman

Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:43 am

just brew it! wrote:
bthylafh wrote:

I tend to do a wipe and reinstall when I upgrade anyway, even though Ubuntu supports release upgrades. With Linux's separation of user and system stuff it tends to be fairly painless. Migrate /home, /var/www (if you're running a web server), and your MySQL data directory (if you have any database-driven apps), and you're usually in pretty good shape. Any apps/servers that are still missing or mis-configured are generally pretty obvious and easy to fix.

Take that My Documents, Users, Documents and Settings, registry, Program Files, Application Data\Local\LocalStore\, etc., etc.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:01 am

The registry is the root of many Windows evils. It serves the exact same purpose as the /etc directory tree in Linux (and other UNIX-derived OSes); but it is stored in an opaque binary blob; this makes it both more difficult to manage/audit, and easier to hide links to malware in.

There's something to be said for the "everything's a text file" philosophy of *NIX.

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:09 pm

just brew it! wrote:
The registry is the root of many Windows evils. It serves the exact same purpose as the /etc directory tree in Linux (and other UNIX-derived OSes); but it is stored in an opaque binary blob; this makes it both more difficult to manage/audit, and easier to hide links to malware in.

There's something to be said for the "everything's a text file" philosophy of *NIX.

Gnome is dangerously close to re-implementing the registry with GConf, and some RedHat engineers don't seem to understand the awesomeness of that philosophy.

just brew it! wrote:
I tend to do a wipe and reinstall when I upgrade anyway, even though Ubuntu supports release upgrades. With Linux's separation of user and system stuff it tends to be fairly painless.

The upgrade option in the regular Fedora/CentOS/SL/RHEL installer is pretty nice in that it splits the difference between a clean install and a release upgrade.

bthylafh wrote:

That's what happens when a distro is based on Debian Testing. You might be able to change from testing to "wheezy", or whatever the next version codename is, and get more updates. I tried Debian on a laptop a couple of months ago, and I settled on "wheezy" instead of "testing".

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:38 pm

Wheezy /is/ the current version in Testing; as such the two are equivalent until Wheezy becomes stable.

I've considered returning to Debian, believe me.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

kc77
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:18 am

axeman wrote:
I tried testing not that long ago, and found the Gnome Shell experience, well, uninspiring. Eventually it may be better, but it seems pretty immature compared to Unity.

I guess I'm a glutton for punishment (** dons fire suit **) but Gnome Shell kicks Unity's butt everyday even on Sundays.

Hate me if you wish, but with extensions GS is awesome!

This is Unity...

This is GS...

Core i7 920 @stock - 6GB OCZ Mem - Adaptec 5805 - 2 x Intel X25-M in RAID1 - 5 x Western Digital RE4 WD1003FBYX 1TB in RAID 6 - Nvidia GTX 460

SecretSquirrel

Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:15 am

kc77 wrote:
axeman wrote:
I tried testing not that long ago, and found the Gnome Shell experience, well, uninspiring. Eventually it may be better, but it seems pretty immature compared to Unity.

I guess I'm a glutton for punishment (** dons fire suit **) but Gnome Shell kicks Unity's butt everyday even on Sundays.

Hate me if you wish, but with extensions GS is awesome!

This is Unity...

<snip>

This is GS...

<snip>

Looks like you need to go get a Mac with OS X on it... I'm only being partly funny. My first thought when I saw the screen cap was "oh, thats a Mac."

--SS

--SS

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:27 am

Flatland_Spider wrote:
Gnome is dangerously close to re-implementing the registry with GConf

At least the data is stored in individual per-application XML files instead of binary blobs.