Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Developers, project Sputnik has landed.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:28 pm

Not sure if this belongs here, in the Developer's Den, or under Mobile Tech; feel free to move it.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/11/ ... ultrabook/

What do you think this will mean for consumers? The laptop itself looks good for running Linux.
Intel Core i7-5775c, Asus Maximus VII Formula, Win 10 Pro
RTX 2080 Ti FE, Corsair 2x8GB DDR3-1866, Corsair AX860
Corsair H105, WD Red 4TB x2, Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Alienware AW3418DW, Corsair 450D

codedivine
Gerbil Elite

Re: Developers, project Sputnik has landed.

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:19 am

Well, not useful for the type of projects I am doing (GPU-heavy projects, particularly OpenCL, which is not supported by the HD 4000 Linux driver), but a really welcome step otherwise. I am hoping someone will make a Linux laptop with an AMD APU or with Nvidia graphics though there are complications with both these options on laptops under Linux.

People may also want to check out the preconfigured Linux systems from System76.

I don't think it will have much impact on the general consumer market though.

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:27 am

I think it means Dell finally put some effort into creating a Linux laptop rather then just using bottom of the barrel parts like they have in the past.

I think Dell is figuring out this niche. People who buy this are going to be rather technical and rather picky about the hardware. I think Dell has done a good job balancing everything. I would like a better screen, like something that rivals the displays in the MacPro, and a trackpoint, but you can't have everything without this becoming a $3000 monster.

I looks good, and I wish I could buy one. I bought a ThinkPad last year, and I don't think I could convince my wife to let me buy another laptop.

@codedivine
Unfortunately, Intel video drivers work the best. As hardware companies, you would think AMD and Nvidia would want people to use their hardware, but they make it very hard to justify buying their stuff.

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:37 pm

Really nice machine with a crappy "720p" screen resolution. And because of that, I won't buy it. The rest doesn't matter.

As a side note, I have Ubuntu (Kubuntu actually) running on my current Dell laptop with no problems at all. While I'm happy to see Dell venturing back into the Linux realm, it's not a huge technical feat at this point. Support on the other hand... I really hope they succeed.

--SS

DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:12 am

SecretSquirrel wrote:
Really nice machine with a crappy "720p" screen resolution. And because of that, I won't buy it. The rest doesn't matter.

As a side note, I have Ubuntu (Kubuntu actually) running on my current Dell laptop with no problems at all. While I'm happy to see Dell venturing back into the Linux realm, it's not a huge technical feat at this point. Support on the other hand... I really hope they succeed.

--SS

Well, I would probably hold off for a later iteration anyway. Hopefully the more ppi trend actually slips into PCs by then.
Intel Core i7-5775c, Asus Maximus VII Formula, Win 10 Pro
RTX 2080 Ti FE, Corsair 2x8GB DDR3-1866, Corsair AX860
Corsair H105, WD Red 4TB x2, Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Alienware AW3418DW, Corsair 450D