just brew it! wrote:
I've never seen one of these. A Linux-based web/e-mail/etc. appliance does make a certain amount of sense though.
Potential downsides I see are:
- The price; looks rather expensive for the functionality provided
- The inevitable "Why can't I install X on this?" questions
- Opening documents created in MS Office; I assume they are using OpenOffice/LibreOffice on this thing, so degree of support for MS Office documents will vary depending on the features used in the document and the version of MS Office they were created in
- Printer compatibility ("Most recent HP printers will work with your WOW! Computer"); from this I assume that other brands are not supported
- They claim "free software updates for life"; obviously this is only good as long as the company is still in business
- I sure hope their "Tech Buddy" feature ("A Tech Buddy is a friend or family member that wants to help you use your WOW! Computer. After you give them the User Name and Password you create for them, they can log into our Tech Buddy web site and access your WOW! Computer from their own computer") has some seriously robust security; also, since you need to go through their web site this feature is useless if they stop supporting it
This is nothing more than an over-expensive route to e-mail, Skype, and Facebook for an 80+ YO grammy, but I didn't pay for it (I'm just the unpaid drain cleaner), At least I got a sweet HP laptop in trade. She'll never want to install anything on it.
On first impressions, this thing is designed to be on 24/7 and can be woken with a finger to the screen. There really isn't a way to shut down any app short of flipping the Big Red Switch. If it keeps her up to date in her Hotmail and Facebook accounts, life is good. Skype with the daughter in LA may take some doing yet the base distro has Skype if not under that name. Did verify that the webcam works.
No Office functionality needed
No printer needed
"Tech Buddy" drives the 20 minutes at least once per month to remind her that the source selector button on her TV remote has both UP and DOWN buttons (she always forgets the UP after she watches a DVD).
She's Mom to SWMBO, so I'm stuck with it until ...
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.