Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

matnath1
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Folding with Two Graphics Cards NOT in SLI?

Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:07 am

RE: 24/7 Folding@Home workstation

I have a Dell Precision T3400 with an Intel Core 2 Duo E8200. It has two pci x 16 slots though one is "half speed".

The PSU is the higher end one (Over 500 watts with two six pin connectors).

Can I run BOTH a GTX 970 and a GTX 960 in this workstation (I will have to use the molex or sata connectors to get power to the 960) without connecting them with an SLI bridge connector?

This will be used 24/7 as a folding @ home machine. No other use.

SO: Can I mismatch this system by running a 970 alongside a 960 and secondly if I do not connect them via an SLI bridge connector will the NEW Folding @ Home Client Pick up and fully utilize both graphics cards so I am hoping for:

250,000 PPD with the 970
150,000 PPD with the 960

5,000 PPD on the E8400 *(not important)

Once up and running this will not be connected to a monitor unless I detect a crash or problem. I have disconnected the Optical drive. I will run a USB wifi stick for network connection ... No other accessories are running on this tower.

Thoughts or advise are welcome.

farmpuma
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Re: Folding with Two Graphics Cards NOT in SLI?

Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:34 am

To the best of my knowledge your proposed configuration should be auto detected and should fold with no issues. I'm 99% certain that two video cards in an SLI configuration will not fold properly if at all.

Side note: I apologize for the delay in moving your thread to the folding forum. Things have been dead crazy for me lately, but should be improving with each passing day.
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"

matnath1
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:20 am

So to be clear..... It is best to NOT connect them via an SLI bridge and DO simply install both cards and allow the software to auto detect them seperately?

I will be doing this when the 970 arrives this week and will let you know how it turns out. For now the 960 is running solo with no issues.

As a sidnenote.. I am running 6 core 2 based towers with 6 gtx 960s and they all earn 140,000 PPD consistently. I have one running a 970 earning 230,000 ppd (that one is an i5 2400 @ stock). Do these numbers all seem in line (FAH Core 18 Alzheimers)

VincentHanna
Gerbil

Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:03 am

matnath1 wrote:
So to be clear..... It is best to NOT connect them via an SLI bridge and DO simply install both cards and allow the software to auto detect them seperately?

I will be doing this when the 970 arrives this week and will let you know how it turns out. For now the 960 is running solo with no issues.

As a sidnenote.. I am running 6 core 2 based towers with 6 gtx 960s and they all earn 140,000 PPD consistently. I have one running a 970 earning 230,000 ppd (that one is an i5 2400 @ stock). Do these numbers all seem in line (FAH Core 18 Alzheimers)

Correct. It is best not to connect non-like gpus in SLI at all. The two GPUs can't fold together anyway, and yeah, you can have a 960 and a 970 together in non SLI and that will work fine.

This advice may change with the launch of DX12 and whatever Nvidia does over the next year, but for now, keep the bridge in the box.

matnath1
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:50 am

Ok thanks. I will run them both in non sli and fold for the sky!

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:48 am

I do it all the time with my Quadro 2000s when I'm not at the office. The 960 and 970 should be quite spry by comparison.
Science: Core i9 7940x, 64 gigs RAM, Vega FE, Xubuntu 20.04
Work: Ryzen 5 3600, 32 gigs RAM, Radeon RX 580, Win10 Pro
Tinker: Core i5 2400, 8 gigs RAM, Radeon R9 280x, Xubuntu 20.04 + MS-DOS 7.10

Read me at https://www.wallabyjones.com/

matnath1
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:15 pm

The 970 arrived and I installed it next to the 960 (which has been folding for two weeks with no issues).

The Folding @ home client shows the 970 in the configuration section but I am struggling to create a second GPU SLOT for it to fold with.. (oddly enough it chose to fold with the 970 and is not folding with the 960 BUT the 960 is what I have connected to my monitor).

So:

I have tried going into the configurator and can see where to add cpu and gpu slots. I was able to add a second CPU slot but the after ticking the GPU section (on the bottom ) clicking on Add does not want to co-operate. I tried going into Expert and again, adding a gpu slot but it produced an error saying my hardware is not supported (or something close).

I removed and re-installed the client.. No luck.. still only folding on the one gpu (the 970 luckily) and anemically producing points for two CPU slots (intel core 2 duo E8400) but the 960 is not showing up in the advanced control display.. only the 970 and the two cpu slots.

Please provide a step by step on how to wake up the FAH so that both gpus will fold together (per earlier advise they are not connected in an sli bridge).

As a point of curiosity, I ran out of Molex connectors so the 960 is now "running" with a six pin that is only connected to one molex (they require two but my psu does not have another and I do not have a sata to six pin handy) Could this somehow be causing my issue (again I am running the monitor off of this gpu and the fan is spinning so it is running)..

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. My team is Value Technology I am running 7 dedicated Folding towers including this one, 5 others with c2d and 960's and my main gamer with an i5 2400 8g 970 (230ppd on that) and so am clocking 1 million PPD but could be @ 1.3 if I can get this dual GPU monster running. Each one is dedicated to family who have died due to alzheimers and or my remaining family who I hope to help find a cure for.

Here are my stats on the overclockers folding stats page:

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&t=158474

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:11 pm

Hello!

Okay, here's probably the easiest way. There are other ways to do what you want, but this may be the easiest.

Hit "finish" and let the CPU and original GPU slot complete whatever work units they have going.

Then go into configurations and save the precise spelling of your folding name and passcode; you will need these for what comes next.

Uninstall F@H via add-remove programs (or whatever). Completely uninstall it and reboot if so advised.

Next, reinstall the F@H client. Get the latest one if there's a new one out there.

Once installed, go back to configuration/setup and re-populate the folding name and passcode. Spell them right or your bonus points will go to a new folding name (which is a hassle) or, if the passcode is incorrect, you won't get bonus points at all (which is annoying).

It should now detect both GPU slots.

matnath1
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:52 am

I discovered that I needed to simply check mark the data box (removing data) while add/removing the client. The second time around, I corrected this issue and than re-installed (again) ...........Voila now both GPU's are detected and folding.. After an hour they were still not folding at a PPD equal to the sum of each one but hopefully within a few hours they will reach that number. Approximately 400,000 PPD.

Thanks for all of your help

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:32 am

matnath1 wrote:
I discovered that I needed to simply check mark the data box (removing data) while add/removing the client. The second time around, I corrected this issue and than re-installed (again) ...........Voila now both GPU's are detected and folding.. After an hour they were still not folding at a PPD equal to the sum of each one but hopefully within a few hours they will reach that number. Approximately 400,000 PPD.
Try not folding on the CPU and see if PPD improves.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

matnath1
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:54 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
matnath1 wrote:

Thanks for pointing this out. It raised the PPD on this dual Graphics card machine with "only dual cwd E8400" by 60,000 PPD almost immediately. I must assume the cpu folding was limiting the data flow to the GTX970 and 960.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:35 am

matnath1 wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:
matnath1 wrote:

Thanks for pointing this out. It raised the PPD on this dual Graphics card machine with "only dual cwd E8400" by 60,000 PPD almost immediately. I must assume the cpu folding was limiting the data flow to the GTX970 and 960.

As much as they claim how much the science are "different" between GPU vs CPU WUs, with **** like this, is there any doubt why no one folds SMP without an equalizing BigAdv bonus? I have practically stopped folding because I don't want the heat and shortened lifespan of my video card. My CPU's ~100W or so TDP is fine, but the points are just pathetic compared to GPU folding. :x
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.