Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

matnath1
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Folding Billinaire Now getting 15% PPD Tried Everything

Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:49 pm

Hi Guys:

I have been folding for over 10 years and have 1.3bln Points via Team 158474 Value Technology.

UP FRONT This is not a simple passkey issue. I have both re-used the same and new passkeys to no avail.

Using my Lenovo Y900 i7 6700K 16GB 700W PSU I have successfully swapped out over 10 Graphics cards including RTX 2070 (1mil ppd) GTX 1080ti (same) GTX 1080 (about 5 different types and also got 700PPD) GTX 1070 600PPD GTX 1060 3gb 350K PPD.

about 30 days ago I swapped the 1060 out and installed a GTX 1080 from EVGA . Only got 120k PPD for 3 days. I Sold that card that games perfectly... Than installed an MSI GTX 1080 ARMOR same 120 PPD I than installed the Original GTX 1060 ONLY 65k PPD ...

I did a re-set, removed drivers installed new drivers I rolled back to old Nvidia drivers . I have deleted all the FAH client (ALL DATA) and reinstalled each time..
NO LUCK In installed the GTX 1080 with the same 3 month old Nvidia Driver tha yielded 700K PPD and still only gets 120k PPD).

My other tower, with the same cards and operating system. A dell workstaiton... gets NORMAL PPD with the exact same cards.. EDIT this is an older slower system with 2nd gen i7.

What is wrong? EDIT:

Question: Could the Stanford Server have identified my above system and slowed it down somehow? It runs games at the correct frame rates for a GTX 1080 .. It just won't fold anymore at it's normal PPD Rate.
Last edited by matnath1 on Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Folding Billinaire Now getting 15% PPD Tried Everything

Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:06 pm

Your client updated on the "slow" machine is my bet...
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

matnath1
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:36 pm

Waco wrote:
Your client updated on the "slow" machine is my bet...

Thanks for responding. I edited my overview to add that the Dell workstation is actually the slower setup as it only has a second gen i7. and yet it is now signifigantly outperforming the skyle i7 based Y900.

It must be a software issue but how can I solve it? I have delted the FAH client including the DATA and than re-downloaded it to be sure it was current (but it was the same one) ...I than set up a new identity on my same team ... with a new passkey... Still getting 120K PPD on GTX 1080??

matnath1
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:51 am

Thanks for responding.

I let it run for nearly 2 weeks producing low points. I unistalled and re-installed the client 3 times removing data and changing the Team Individual name (not the team) . I also reverted back to a known working nvidia driver.

In the past these all produced success but it is not working now. Very frustrataing.

Oddly, as I write this, my Sandy Bridge Dell Workstation is runnign a GTX 1070 Ti and earning nearly 700 K PPD, yet the Skylake i7 system with GTX 1080 will only produce 120K PPD..

Two months back, I had two RTX 2070 cards Installed in that skylake system Each card produced 1 Mill PPD total 2 MILL PPD on that unit alone. Now it is a dog. I do not know what happened.

farmpuma
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:24 pm

I am going to sneak out on a limb and assume the two RTX2070s was last thing you did before it all went sideways after removing them? Have you tried setting the BIOS to default and checking the setting that enables the new hardware check on every cold restart? It is usually some non-intuitive choice like saying yes to, "My OS is not hardware aware."
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"

matnath1
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:49 pm

farmpuma wrote:
I am going to sneak out on a limb and assume the two RTX2070s was last thing you did before it all went sideways after removing them? Have you tried setting the BIOS to default and checking the setting that enables the new hardware check on every cold restart? It is usually some non-intuitive choice like saying yes to, "My OS is not hardware aware."

Re-setting the bios back to default worked! I did not change the bios but I must assume that installing two cards caused this on re-boot?

I can not thank you enough If you have a moment to explain what happened I would appreciate it as I am now considering running two RX 5700 XT cards in tandem to fold (as soon as the Folding @ Home client is updated to enable this card to run properly), as I am confident these will be the new value folding PPD kings.

Thoughts and pitfalls please?

farmpuma
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:59 pm

Glad I could help. I suspect a bios software bug in the pci-e buss splitting section. There might be an updated bios on your motherboards website. Good luck with the 5700s! I am green with envy.