Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

3.0 Beta Released

Thu May 23, 2002 9:44 pm

The F@H 3.0 Beta is out go download it for Windows and Linux :P

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Sun May 26, 2002 11:40 am

URL? I don't see it. Any changelog?

Steel
Global Moderator

Sun May 26, 2002 12:42 pm

Here's the URL:
http://folding.stanford.edu/news.html

And here's the FAQ about it:
http://folding.stanford.edu/FAH3.html

The biggest thing will be the new scientific core which promises a 10-20x speedup. (And no, that doesn't mean you get more points... ;))

liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Make sure you wait!

Wed May 29, 2002 10:51 am

If you install the beta, it will re-start the last work-unit. Wait until a new unit starts before installing or you will loose all that time. I goofed and lost a 90% complete protien. :cry:

drummerboy49
Gerbil

Wed May 29, 2002 12:33 pm

I downloaded it and it worked fine for me.. NO major problems here..

//{DX}-Galland

nrobison
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed May 29, 2002 1:37 pm

I wish I had been graphing no. of folders on our team over time. But we are up to 204 now, perhaps 190 of whom are at least intermittently active (what happened to 'ya, Anapex?). There were 160 or so a month ago...

One thing to pay attention to is the Team stats page, http://folding.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/searchteamstats - where you may notice that most everyone ahead of TR has team numbers below 100 - that is to say, they've been doing this for much, much longer than us; we really have a chance to move into the top 10 IF SOME NEW FOLKS GET ON BOARD! Out of 1077 registered users only 204 have even given it a try - so the other 873 should regretfully give up on finding aliens or chasing prime numbers and contribute to this potentially valuable science (the namesake of my first-born has Alzheimer's, and I understand that protien physics may help address this disease in the near future).

I'm folding on only one computer, and am in the teens for team production; you could be too, sir or madam as the case may be.

Ttocs
Gerbil Elite

Wed May 29, 2002 10:56 pm

Just be careful, the 3.0 Core doesn't handle multiple copies well yet. If you run an SMP machine, stick with the 2.0 Core until they fix the issues.

.:Ttocs

DiMaestro
Gerbil Elite

Thu May 30, 2002 1:01 am

Thanks TTOCS, that's good info. I myself am going to wait till it's out of Beta stage. I figure beta's won't do much good until they're up to full speed.

So, what happened to you [H]'ers? I see the Aussies are beating you in production. Looks like their gonna get you in a day or two. :(

Ttocs
Gerbil Elite

Sat Jun 01, 2002 6:50 pm

Yeah.. the aussies are holding a bunch of giveaways for folders... I don't know the details, but if they produce X amount of pionts a day, it makes them eligible for some apparently good stuff.

Unfortunately, the [H] seems to go through a time of turmoil and arguing whenever a major change occurs. Since stanford is talking about resetting the stats for 3.0 (to make it fair for the G@Hers), the team is arguing over which direction to take -- whether its to make a push for UD, or to stick with F@H3. Everybody has their own priorities and goals in mind, and for such a large team thats somewhat diversified, it becomes a problem.

That, and a few of our members have taken offense to these giveaways that OCAU is holding.

In the process, we've probably lost a few members.. and their team is growing like the plague. So, thats where we stand.

On the other hand, I'm producing record numbers here (for me).. I only have about 3GHz, half of which is in K6-2's, and I can't run them 24/7 (power is expensive up here, especially with the brownouts over the summer).. I wish I could do more, but i'm afraid this is it until I upgrade. I have a neat tablet PC which i'd like to show people (but I dont know of a free hosting site for forum pictures), and I have the OK from work to make it a 'temporary' folder. I can even run it at work on this thing!

Nice to see you guys climbing the charts too.. :)

Ttocs
Gerbil Elite

Sat Jun 01, 2002 8:18 pm

I can't edit posts on here, so I guess this becomes a second post!

I have been running the 3.0 client for a little while on one of my faster folders. I haven't really found it to be any faster than the 2.0 client, so I haven't bothered to move the others to 3.0. One feature that it has is that it autosends the information every few frames. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not - it could result in requiring that you are constantly connected.. on the other hand, it would also mean that theres less work lost if you can't send a WU at the time.

I guess we'll see how the cookie crumbles as we approach the final release of the 3.0 client.

[edit]OH, SURE.. let me edit my posts AFTER I make this one.. grrr.. [/edit]

DiMaestro
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jun 02, 2002 11:39 pm

TTOCS: Yea, I noticed a *lot* of teams are now holding giveaways as they try to increase their folding power. To me that kind of ruins the whole spirit of folding in some obscure way. I feel people should do it because they want to, not because they have the chance to win something. Well, good luck to you all, I hope you all stick in there, I know I'm going to.

As far as the Beta goes, I generally stay away from any beta software on my server, I'll wait until it becomes stable, and see then. The latest 2.0 release I'm using is just peachy.

Ttocs
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jun 03, 2002 4:33 pm

We plan on sticking in there no matter, but the bickering going on in the forums, and the diehards for other projects will probably change it. I'm tired of the bickering and the seemingly intentional misunderstandings of the team.

Strangely enough, its almost as if people want to stir up these controversies just to get some activity on the forum. It's weird. In the end though, it erodes the team away. It's an endless soap opera over in [H] land. Someone says something, someone whines about it, then someone comes up and says 'stop the bickering'.. by bickering some more. It really only comes to a stop until someone says 'WAKE UP!' people DIED from these illnesses, and this arguing isn't going to help.

Happens every time.

I want to stick to folding, but the same people who want to do it for the good of mankind also want to switch projects if they reset the stats. Although, the Distributed Folding client/stats/caching ability is very neat.. i'm liking it alot. I guess i'm kinda victim to the whole stats thing as well - I want to be #1 in as many projects as possible. Which, to me, means that were doing the most work for the project and making the biggest impact on it. I guess others fail to see it.

Oh well, I guess we'll see how the cookie crumbles.

DiMaestro
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jun 03, 2002 11:48 pm

Yea, the DF sounds nice, but I think they are gonna have some infrastructure problems if it grows large very quickly. The sheer amount of data to be sent back and forth really can strain their network. :)

As far as others wanting to change, I understand that. I disagree with them, but I understand. I have seen just how addictive this can be, especially when your competetive with other teams, but quite a bit of people tend to see the stats as the be all end all, when in reality, it doesn't matter much. What really matters, at least to me, is that we *can* help humanity, and hopefully what we're doing will help, even if in a small obscure way. This folding thing really hit home for me, as I was organizing the Tech Report's team, my grandmother passed away ( about a week before we went live IIRC ), she had suffered from Alzheimers' for the last 2 years, getting to the point of needing a care facility. She wasn't able to recognize her own children or grandchildren. Along with the Alzheimers she suffered from Dementia, and would often think she was living the past. That really brought the whole point of this project home to me, the fact that this is what my computer was doing while I was at her funeral.

Well, like I said earlier, good luck to your and the [H], I hope to see you all overtake OCAU.

This may be a good time to throw your G@H'ers into the F@H fray, with the added boost you will quickly crush OCAU.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jun 04, 2002 2:43 am

TTOCS -I'm over here in KOP, and I'd be happy to host any pictures you want to upload. Not a whole lot of bandwidth, but lots of room and free. :) I believe my @kmfms.com email address is listed in my profile, let me know about those pictures.

Ttocs
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jun 04, 2002 12:38 pm

Neat forge - I'll get my first batch of pictures sent when I get home from work tonight.

BTW.. What's KOP? :/